U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 PM

161 posts, read 353,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan77 View Post
Alright well I am a teen, and I just want to clarify this whole thing because I have been there since the beginning, as a matter of fact I am part of what has been dubbed the cause of this.

On the last Saturday of June my band was the band that played at the concert in FYI the furman and YMCA center just across from the park, that Greenville News was talking about. There were at most 35 kids there, and that was the most people I had ever seen there. FYI is definitely not adding that much to Falls Park popularity for teens, and it certainly is not a bad place for kids to go to, I can think of much worse places I know kids go to. Me and my friends do go the park relatively often and you do see a good number of kids there. I've never seen them doing anything bad. Me and my friends just go to walk around and talk. We don't ever cause any trouble. But the number is nowhere in the 5 to 800 range at any time of night. Two weekends ago was the most i'd ever seen and it might have been around 100-150 total people and they weren't all teens, there were a lot of college aged people as well as adults. As far as Main st. as a whole, why should it matter if crime isn't breaking loose. There are reports of one fight, and claimed vandalism that isn't brought into detail. This kind of thing isn't going to be uncommon around any part of Greenville. We are just enjoying walking aorund the downtown area and are no doubt adding business to the stores there. As long as we aren't goin crazy I see nothing at all wrong with this. Teens hang out at the movies, downtown, and the mall. If you take any of this away there is no doubt that you'll just cause an overflow somewhere else. And if you curfew everything you'll have your hands full arresting kids.
Very good post. +1 for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 06:55 PM

191 posts, read 437,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
Very good post. +1 for you.
Hello, The Drizzle---Logan77.I can certainly see where your coming from.You are just one of those young dudes out there with your friends downtown wanting to hang out and have some fun too.Well,let me be one of the first to say,there's nothing wrong with that at all.The problem isn't you,it's old farts that's been living in Greenville all there lives and no doubt think they own the town,atleast some of them do,and they apparently aren't used to having there precious Falls Park and downtown filled with a lot of young people.So,there just afraid,really paranoid by the very presence of teenagers being in the area,there area,because they think they own it.They really just want things back like it was but fail to realize that teenagers are people too,are full of energy,get bored and just want to be out and about to socalize with there friends.It's really selfish when you think about it and they without a doubt have blown this thing way out of proportion with all of there crying and belly acheing about it,but I hope you can see why there acting the way they are.Understanding it is a whole nother matter.What's more,because they are the taxpayers and grown,they will ultimately win this battle,like with the curfew.My advice to you,is to just comply and move on somewhere else in town because you really don't have "any win"here.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:00 PM

4,648 posts, read 5,782,047 times
Default Malls Prohibiting Teens w/o Parents

A number of malls across the country have started not allowing teens into the malls in the evenings without their parents. Apparently, lots of loose teens can be a problem in commerical situations.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:01 PM

9,747 posts, read 18,903,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
A number of malls across the country have started not allowing teens into the malls in the evenings without their parents. Apparently, lots of loose teens can be a problem in commerical situations.
Just look at what happened in Raleigh.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:45 PM

6,396 posts, read 12,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Just look at what happened in Raleigh.
What happened in Raleigh?

The one difference is that malls are private property and not a public park.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:50 PM

It wasn't pretty: newsobserver.com | Seven detained after mall brawl (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/story/1156386.html - broken link)

Old 08-24-2008, 08:12 PM

69 posts, read 241,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Regardless of whether there is a real physical threat, it can't be good for business for people to be afraid to come to the mall in the evening. I've personally felt uncomfortable entering the Food court entrance at Haywood Mall.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
Regardless of whether there is a real physical threat, it can't be good for business for people to be afraid to come to the mall in the evening. I've personally felt uncomfortable entering the Food court entrance at Haywood Mall.
In the last five years, I have actually felt fine entering through that entrance. You don't see the punk rocker kids hanging out there anymore.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:42 PM

161 posts, read 353,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
In the last five years, I have actually felt fine entering through that entrance. You don't see the punk rocker kids hanging out there anymore.
I'm guessing that:
A) you don't know what you're talking about when you mention "punk rocker kids"
or
B) you are scared of them for some unfound reason.

Perhaps I can educate you on Punk Rock.
1. Blink-182 and Fall Out Boy do not count as Punk rock bands.
2. Just because you see someone dressed in "punk rock" garb doesn't mean they will hurt you
3. Have you ever heard of Straight Edge, meaning "Punk Rockers" who don't do drugs of any kind (alcohol, cigarettes, etc)?
4. Punk Rock was born from individuals not wanting to conform with society and speaking out against what they thought was wrong. This brought about by such bands as The Clash, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Teen Idles, Black Flag, MDK, etc. There is nothing wrong with voicing your concerns about society and the direction you see it heading.
5. Greenville does not have a true Punk Scene from what I have seen.
6. People that are in to Punk Rock will not hurt you just "because".

Lastly, I am 31 years old, well educated (BS, MS), successful, and if you ever see me in Haywood Mall (which isn't very often because the lack of high end clothing makes me shop in Charlotte and Atlanta), I'll most likely be wearing my Dead Kennedys t-shirt and my black studded belt.

I hope I don't scare you too much.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 PM

I have Blink 182's last CD and Fall Out Boy's newest CD thank you very much. Well, Blink 182 broke up years ago. Some of my best friends in high schools were skateboarders too. I'm not talking about punk rockers like that. I'm referring to the gothic ones. And yes people that dress in all black do scare me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area