U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 AM

2,053 posts, read 3,523,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
I agree. Why punish the people that aren't doing anything? If there is a true problem they need to step up police activity or deploy a neighborhood watch. All this is going to do is force the "bad" people go to another area.
Why is it considered a punishment? I don't think kids should be hanging out in downtown after dark, its dangerous for them anyway and most of them need to be supervised, I had a curfew in columbus ohio growing up until I was 18 years old and it was no big deal, we didn't consider it a punishment. Neighborhood watches do NOTHING, they are stepping up police activity.

Last edited by NoodlesKnowles; 08-27-2008 at 08:13 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Hey, they just dress a little different (and wear black nail polish). I work with a couple of borderline gothic people and they're fine. The world would be a boring place if everyone was the same.

Getting back to the curfew, do you think it did the job that was intended this weekend and where did teens go to hangout instead?
I think it helped, I definitely saw a larger police presence and didn't have groups of young people "squatting" at our outside tables like we always do.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:19 PM

161 posts, read 277,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Why is it considered a punishment? I don't think kids should be hanging out in downtown after dark, its dangerous for them anyway and most of them need to be supervised, I had a curfew in columbus ohio growing up until I was 18 years old and it was no big deal, we didn't consider it a punishment. Neighborhood watches do NOTHING, they are stepping up police activity.
Actually, a meta-analysis published in the Journal of Experimental Criminology in 2006 cited a 78% positive effect and an overall 9% decrease in crime in areas that had a neighborhood watch.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:01 PM

835 posts, read 1,544,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
Even though it may be a noble step, I think it's a little out of touch. Even though I like Blue Grass, I doubt your average teenager would (if I am understanding the point of the band correctly). It's step in the right direction, I just don't think it's relevant.
I could see why you say that. The columnist said it was easy to get into even for teenagers. As a young person, I do like bluegrass but I also like a lot of other types of music so maybe I'm not the "average teenager".

Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 PM

624 posts, read 1,826,713 times
I'm probably not an "average teenager" either (not a teenager for long...will be 20 september 3rd!). I like a lot of different music, including bluegrass! My favorite band is The Avett Brothers although they're kinda bluegrass-punk-rock-country-etc! (By the way...they're at the peace center November 1st!)

Anyways, I have to agree...for the most part bluegrass isn't going to be a huge hit unless it's something really different and fun.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 PM

193 posts, read 342,092 times
Quote:
Well,I think everybody pretty much on this thread knows "my take" on this issue.How rediculous it is that the "grown adult crowd" in Greenville is the one's who are acting like the "imature teenagers" there.But theres another thing that keeps coming up with reguard to who's fault,or who's responsibility it is for the "teenage hang out".So some keep saying,it's the parents fault.The igornance of the statement shows what certain posters know about the situation of many of the kids parents you speak of.I want put any of them in a particular group lest someone should say,I'm being bias,but again,many of them come from broken homes where they are being raised by a single parent,usually the mother.But in a lot of cases,it's even worse,the father,if you want to call them that,has abandoned the child,and the mother,is strung out on drugs,leaving child protection to step in and place the children in foster care unless they are fortunate enought to have a grandmother or other family member willing to take care of the child.The only problem with that is,most grandmotheres can't keep up with a 12-13 years old at all times of the day and night and kids will sneak out the window if nothing else to be with there friends.Now,it's so easy to judge and "point the finger"at this or that person.But until you can "walk a mile in there shoes,you really should't say anything.But again,I think this curfew thing is so ridiculous.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:28 PM

835 posts, read 1,544,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
I'm probably not an "average teenager" either (not a teenager for long...will be 20 september 3rd!). I like a lot of different music, including bluegrass! My favorite band is The Avett Brothers although they're kinda bluegrass-punk-rock-country-etc! (By the way...they're at the peace center November 1st!)

Anyways, I have to agree...for the most part bluegrass isn't going to be a huge hit unless it's something really different and fun.
Well maybe it'd be better if the band is right there live.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinapride View Post
Well,I think everybody pretty much on this thread knows "my take" on this issue.How rediculous it is that the "grown adult crowd" in Greenville is the one's who are acting like the "imature teenagers" there.But theres another thing that keeps coming up with reguard to who's fault,or who's responsibility it is for the "teenage hang out".So some keep saying,it's the parents fault.The igornance of the statement shows what certain posters know about the situation of many of the kids parents you speak of.I want put any of them in a particular group lest someone should say,I'm being bias,but again,many of them come from broken homes where they are being raised by a single parent,usually the mother.But in a lot of cases,it's even worse,the father,if you want to call them that,has abandoned the child,and the mother,is strung out on drugs,leaving child protection to step in and place the children in foster care unless they are fortunate enought to have a grandmother or other family member willing to take care of the child.The only problem with that is,most grandmotheres can't keep up with a 12-13 years old at all times of the day and night and kids will sneak out the window if nothing else to be with there friends.Now,it's so easy to judge and "point the finger"at this or that person.But until you can "walk a mile in there shoes,you really should't say anything.But again,I think this curfew thing is so ridiculous.
and why exactly did you quote my post? your extremely long rant had nothing to do with what I asked or said. Also you need to run spell check and split your thoughts into paragraphs or something, reading your posts is painful

Old 08-30-2008, 07:10 AM

193 posts, read 342,092 times
Quote:
and why exactly did you quote my post? your extremely long rant had nothing to do with what I asked or said. Also you need to run spell check and split your thoughts into paragraphs or something, reading your posts is painful
Hey,I really appreciate that advice even though I was just in a hurry when I typed it and it doesn't have anything to do with my spelling.you however,need to read through the post again and you will see that I did comment on the curfew which you so ignorantly praised.Also,your comments about "neighborhood watches"do no good is really LOL funny.I'm laughing now as I type this.If it weren't for people in the neighborhoods binding togather to watch out for each other and report suspicious activities to police,in addition to reporting crime anywhere they see it.Now I don't know what planet your from,but in general,more reports are made by citizens in the community then what the police are able to discover on there own.DUH?As far as my post itself goes,I see you did't make the first comment on it whether you agree or disagree.Oh I know,you don't even have a clue to what I was talking about,something I guss you can't identify with or just maybe nothing that makes any sense get's in your way of your own opinion.I want you to do me a favor though,instead of reading this post for knowledge,just look at the letters in each word,and see how many words are mispelled this time.I want you to be my official "spell checker"By the way,your reply contains "and"as the first word in your sentence,that's like totally improper.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:31 AM

451 posts, read 364,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinapride View Post
Hey,I really appreciate that advice even though I was just in a hurry when I typed it and it doesn't have anything to do with my spelling.you however,need to read through the post again and you will see that I did comment on the curfew which you so ignorantly praised.Also,your comments about "neighborhood watches"do no good is really LOL funny.I'm laughing now as I type this.If it weren't for people in the neighborhoods binding togather to watch out for each other and report suspicious activities to police,in addition to reporting crime anywhere they see it.Now I don't know what planet your from,but in general,more reports are made by citizens in the community then what the police are able to discover on there own.DUH?As far as my post itself goes,I see you did't make the first comment on it whether you agree or disagree.Oh I know,you don't even have a clue to what I was talking about,something I guss you can't identify with or just maybe nothing that makes any sense get's in your way of your own opinion.I want you to do me a favor though,instead of reading this post for knowledge,just look at the letters in each word,and see how many words are mispelled this time.I want you to be my official "spell checker"By the way,your reply contains "and"as the first word in your sentence,that's like totally improper.
Seriously, not trying to be rude it's just hard to read. Hit the space bar after a punctuation mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area