Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:33 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,482,760 times

Advertisements

Please let's get this thread back on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 PM

137 posts, read 395,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Why should all teens have to suffer for the misdeeds of a few? If teenagers behave themselves why should they not be able to enjoy an evening out with their friends? I think this is way too severe a reaction.
An evening in the Park, up to 9 PM is sufficient for unaccompanied teens. If the teens get stabbed, the parents will want to make the City responsible. How can a few police make sure 500 kids don't get hurt, or fall drunk into the river and drown. One parent can watch one or two of their own kids a lot better than 10 police can watch 500. Lets be responsible for our kids.

And what's wrong with kids not wanting to associate with adults. All the adults that they think they are emulating are out there associating with other adults. So let the kids learn to be supervised or not go out. If they don't want their parents around, they can go to their room, but not the river, unless they get their parents to go with them!

Sorry if this seems severe, but I'm thinking of kids' safety, not their freedom. Freedom is for adults who earn it day by day, or they lose it. The reason we have legal terms "adult" and "minor" is to make sure we treat "minors" fairly. Letting them wander off, who knows where, until 11 pm is not fair to the kids. They may not live another day and ever truly earn freedom.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:10 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,815,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurx View Post
An evening in the Park, up to 9 PM is sufficient for unaccompanied teens. If the teens get stabbed, the parents will want to make the City responsible. How can a few police make sure 500 kids don't get hurt, or fall drunk into the river and drown. One parent can watch one or two of their own kids a lot better than 10 police can watch 500. Lets be responsible for our kids.

And what's wrong with kids not wanting to associate with adults. All the adults that they think they are emulating are out there associating with other adults. So let the kids learn to be supervised or not go out. If they don't want their parents around, they can go to their room, but not the river, unless they get their parents to go with them!

Sorry if this seems severe, but I'm thinking of kids' safety, not their freedom. Freedom is for adults who earn it day by day, or they lose it. The reason we have legal terms "adult" and "minor" is to make sure we treat "minors" fairly. Letting them wander off, who knows where, until 11 pm is not fair to the kids. They may not live another day and ever truly earn freedom.
Thank you for your great post, I 100% agree with this POV!

Old 08-30-2008, 02:17 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,645,722 times
Police find fewer unsupervised teens in Falls Park | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News

Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
Actually, a meta-analysis published in the Journal of Experimental Criminology in 2006 cited a 78% positive effect and an overall 9% decrease in crime in areas that had a neighborhood watch.
how could it have a 78% positive effect, when there was only a 9% decrease in crime? I guess it makes people feel better about their situation, it empowers civilians in a way and i'm sure thats positive. The signs that are posted may help somewhat, but I would be interested in seeing what particular 9% of crime was stopped as a result of a neighborhood watch, just doesn't seem very effective to me. Not trying to be cynical, I just know how most local police react to phone calls about questionable activity, and I have experienced it first hand.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:52 AM

I noticed more craziness in downtown this weekend than last, more people out later than last week,(maybe its the holiday weekend) I think just the police presence helps so much, I heard they've been short handed, too bad

Old 08-31-2008, 07:10 AM

191 posts, read 519,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
how could it have a 78% positive effect, when there was only a 9% decrease in crime? I guess it makes people feel better about their situation, it empowers civilians in a way and i'm sure thats positive. The signs that are posted may help somewhat, but I would be interested in seeing what particular 9% of crime was stopped as a result of a neighborhood watch, just doesn't seem very effective to me. Not trying to be cynical, I just know how most local police react to phone calls about questionable activity, and I have experienced it first hand.
There are certain sections in my city where they have "neighborhood crime watches,(as they say,"well-to-do areas")with there signs posted on the street corneres.Are they effective and good as a deterent?,I think so,but neighbors actually have to "be watching"out for each other.If it gonna work,there has to be full participation in the neighborhoods. The thing about the police is they have no choice when called by a citizen to respond to a report.It they were in the habit of just taking citizens reports likely,we would all have reason to "live in fear"and in the case of a serious crime,for police not to respond would make the city liable.Thankfully,much more crime is detected by a citizens report that what the police discover on there on and that's just a fact.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinapride View Post
There are certain sections in my city where they have "neighborhood crime watches,(as they say,"well-to-do areas")with there signs posted on the street corneres.Are they effective and good as a deterent?,I think so,but neighbors actually have to "be watching"out for each other.If it gonna work,there has to be full participation in the neighborhoods. The thing about the police is they have no choice when called by a citizen to respond to a report.It they were in the habit of just taking citizens reports likely,we would all have reason to "live in fear"and in the case of a serious crime,for police not to respond would make the city liable.Thankfully,much more crime is detected by a citizens report that what the police discover on there on and that's just a fact.
I understand what you are saying, but in NY where I lived previous to Greenville I had many problems with police.
My neighbor across the hall was stabbed at 2 am one night after I had called the police at 11 pm because of an obvious fight and the police did nothing until the stabbing took place.
My downstairs neighbor in another apartment I lived in used to scream and yell when she was being hit by her boyfriend, on many occasions I called the police and they refused to answer there door and they shut off all the lights, the police said there was nothing they could do.
So yes, the police must respond to every call, but that doesn't mean they have to do something, and it doesn't mean they show up in 5 minutes either, sometimes it would take them hours to respond to a call.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:55 AM

191 posts, read 519,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I understand what you are saying, but in NY where I lived previous to Greenville I had many problems with police.
My neighbor across the hall was stabbed at 2 am one night after I had called the police at 11 pm because of an obvious fight and the police did nothing until the stabbing took place.
My downstairs neighbor in another apartment I lived in used to scream and yell when she was being hit by her boyfriend, on many occasions I called the police and they refused to answer there door and they shut off all the lights, the police said there was nothing they could do.
So yes, the police must respond to every call, but that doesn't mean they have to do something, and it doesn't mean they show up in 5 minutes either, sometimes it would take them hours to respond to a call.
NoodlesKnowles,You really just raised some good points there about how police make "judment calls"give the situation,as they see it at the time.You are right,though they are required to "come out" once called,there's no guarantee they will do anything as "we think they ought to"For example,in the 2nd incident with your neighbors constantly argueing/fighting,when they came out to investigate your report,they did't "at that moment"observe any disturbance,so they could't just barge there way into someone's home without "probable cause",I mean like it or not,that would have been intruding into someone's right to privacy,and a violation of there Constitional rights.So you see,sometimes the police's hands are tied unless they actually witness first hand something going on.they have no choice but to follow protocol.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:11 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,645,722 times
I noticed the "nobody under 18 after 9pm" signs have popped up at Falls Park again. I didn't notice any large groups of teenagers though and only saw two cops just walking around. Hmmm.... Guess they want to make sure it doesn't happen again. Even though it is warmer outside, I wouldn't expect to see a problem with that until summer time rolls around. That's when it started happening last year. Good to see the city getting a handle on it before the problem actually occurs. Not sure if something happened last night to warrant putting up the signs this early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area