Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,565,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoole52 View Post
actually, it's not an overstatement. I was down there last saturday and was shocked to see at least 500 kids all around the stairs to the falls and all up and down mainstreet all the way up to e. north street. i couldn't believe my eyes.
I don't think it's surprising to have 500 young people scattered from Falls Park to the Hyatt. At the entrance to Falls Park in one concentrated area, yes, but there's several times that number of people all over downtown at any point during the evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:13 PM

161 posts, read 414,907 times
I think something that all of us forget is that every generation has certain "gripes" about the one before it. Your parents thought your generation was out of control. Thier parents thought the same thing of your parents. This cycle will continue forever.

There are tons of sociological studies out there that hightlight both the pros and cons of imposing a curfew, so valid arguments can be made for both sides. Personally, I still don't believe that a) a curfew will solve everything and b) there were that many "teenagers" downtown. If there were, so what? Wouldn't you want them in an area, such as downtown, where there is adequate police and community protection, as well as containment?

I have to say that I am done with this topic as, with the threads that came before it, there has yet to be presented hard, statistical evidence that there is something bad going on (heresay does not equal proof).

Leave the kids alone. Afterall, isn't that what you wanted when you were thier age?

P.S. anyone who would like to make statements that negate the above sentence should review the first paragraph in my post.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:37 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,256,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
I think something that all of us forget is that every generation has certain "gripes" about the one before it. Your parents thought your generation was out of control. Thier parents thought the same thing of your parents. This cycle will continue forever.

There are tons of sociological studies out there that hightlight both the pros and cons of imposing a curfew, so valid arguments can be made for both sides. Personally, I still don't believe that a) a curfew will solve everything and b) there were that many "teenagers" downtown. If there were, so what? Wouldn't you want them in an area, such as downtown, where there is adequate police and community protection, as well as containment?

I have to say that I am done with this topic as, with the threads that came before it, there has yet to be presented hard, statistical evidence that there is something bad going on (heresay does not equal proof).

Leave the kids alone. Afterall, isn't that what you wanted when you were thier age?

P.S. anyone who would like to make statements that negate the above sentence should review the first paragraph in my post.
If its affecting the business in downtown it should be stopped point blank! Kids need parents because most kids don't make mature choices at those ages which infringes on the quality of life. These business owners didn't invest all of this money to have their businesses blocked off and customers scared away. Anyone who sees it differently most be contributing to this by dropping off underage kids downtown. Thats it! Game over!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:56 AM

502 posts, read 933,297 times
I agree "motonenterprises". People need to stop making excuses for these kids, thats what their parents did and thats why they are doing whatever they want. I promise if anyone currently making excuses for these kids, had a business downtown, they would change in a heartbeat, when their business dropped cause 200 kids are sitting outside the door, and alot of those business right there are outdoor restaurants, who wants to eat next to that?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:07 PM

128 posts, read 611,860 times
I don't think Drizzle and others realize exactly how many kids we're talking. I love kids, I teach, and I can clearly see that this "harmless socializing" is not in the best interest of the kids, the downtown, or the safety of either the kids or the people in the area. We're not talking a few hundred people scattered around downtown, but an extremely concentrated groups of young kids with no supervision. And I know that this is going to make some people very angry who will claim I have no clue what I'm talking about, but since I teach in an urban school and have had my fair share of experience with gang issues, let me just say the predominate color of clothing on the those kids was red. Not just a little red, but a lot of red, more red than just a favorite color or coincidence. Clearly Greenville needs to find something that will engage these kids and give them a safe and appropriate place to be after hours.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:45 PM

835 posts, read 2,297,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
Many are saying today's generation is more disrespectful and less well-behaved than those past. As a young person, I'll agree that this might be true(although I never lived through the other generations to compare).

Old 08-14-2008, 06:42 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,256,333 times
Or the parents could just be acting irresponsibly by not taking care of their kids.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 PM

835 posts, read 2,297,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Or the parents could just be acting irresponsibly by not taking care of their kids.
That's probably the reason why my post would be true.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,054 times
Alright well I am a teen, and I just want to clarify this whole thing because I have been there since the beginning, as a matter of fact I am part of what has been dubbed the cause of this.

On the last Saturday of June my band was the band that played at the concert in FYI the furman and YMCA center just across from the park, that Greenville News was talking about. There were at most 35 kids there, and that was the most people I had ever seen there. FYI is definitely not adding that much to Falls Park popularity for teens, and it certainly is not a bad place for kids to go to, I can think of much worse places I know kids go to. Me and my friends do go the park relatively often and you do see a good number of kids there. I've never seen them doing anything bad. Me and my friends just go to walk around and talk. We don't ever cause any trouble. But the number is nowhere in the 5 to 800 range at any time of night. Two weekends ago was the most i'd ever seen and it might have been around 100-150 total people and they weren't all teens, there were a lot of college aged people as well as adults. As far as Main st. as a whole, why should it matter if crime isn't breaking loose. There are reports of one fight, and claimed vandalism that isn't brought into detail. This kind of thing isn't going to be uncommon around any part of Greenville. We are just enjoying walking aorund the downtown area and are no doubt adding business to the stores there. As long as we aren't goin crazy I see nothing at all wrong with this. Teens hang out at the movies, downtown, and the mall. If you take any of this away there is no doubt that you'll just cause an overflow somewhere else. And if you curfew everything you'll have your hands full arresting kids.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:04 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,660,179 times
The problem is a few of the teens downtown were going crazy from starting fights to shooting fireworks at each other. I'm 20 years old and like to go downtown to hang out with my friends too, but a few idiots can ruin it for the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area