U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:25 PM

16 posts, read 40,923 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are getting ideas of where to move in eastern TN, western NC, or SC. We would like scenery, a smaller town that we could raise 2 boys, and a home under 100,000? We recently heard about Landrum. Anyone have advice about that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,855 times
Moved here from Baltimore, MD in March 2007 after a divorce because my sister lives here. Found a brand new three bedroom 2 bathroom house with attached 2 car garage. About 1300 square feet of living space for $134,500. Landrum has the basics for survival, two supermarkets, several gas stations, a few good restaurants. Tryon and Columbus, NC are minutes away. Landrum is half way between Spartanburg, SC and Hendersonville, NC and is about 40 minutes from downtown AshevilleNC and Greenville, SC. It's a quiet town with friendly people.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:56 PM

13 posts, read 60,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving from indiana View Post
My wife and I are getting ideas of where to move in eastern TN, western NC, or SC. We would like scenery, a smaller town that we could raise 2 boys, and a home under 100,000? We recently heard about Landrum. Anyone have advice about that area?
We too are looking to relocate to Landrum. I have been all over reading about it "and" we have taken some trips up there (currently staying with family near Woodruff, sc). We have talked to people all over about it and the general concenses is that it is a great place! Low crime rate, very friendly etc. We have fallen in love with Landrum, Tryon and Saluda. Very small, very quaint. Saluda is the smallest downtown, then the others. They all have their own personalities. Saluda is "in" the mountain, Tryon very hilly and Landrum more flat. We have picked up the local newspaper and no crime reports other than a man being a little beligerant when being examined by the paramedics and police from an emergency 911 call. No murders etc.as far as we see. They have all sorts of town things going that are listed on their web site. You can goodle it, but it might just be landrum.com or something like that. Hope this helps!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 PM

697 posts, read 2,361,691 times
I thought it was super nice in our initial homework but too rural and off the beaten track for us personally. We want faster access to city life. But it sure looks like a slice of heaven if the pix are to be believed.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 AM

511 posts, read 1,295,785 times
Default Landrum

My son just moved from there to Wake Forest NC. It was a little remote for his wife (they are younger) but for the most part it seemed very nice. They came over to highway 25 (10 -15 min.) to the Super Wal-Mart to get groceries. He could also ride his bike to work (20 min) at North Greenville Hospital. His wife would go over to Cherrydale shopping center in about 20 min. as well. All in all they were safe and never had any problems. You may have to go a little over the $100k to get the home you want, but not much over.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:01 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,251,209 times
Look at the planning for all those areas too.

Quaint rapidly becomes suburban overflow with influx of people wanting to move there.....Landrum is great right now.

I am planning on moving to Simpsonville** because my kids are there but I really like travelers rest -not as nice as landrum but they seem to have a planning vision in mind - whether they will pull it off, I don't know.

**nice area but definitly a sprawl machine - not quaint at all -

Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 13,140 times
Default Air Quality?

I recently put my farm on the market due to my asthma. Knoxville and Chattanooga are supposed to be the worst for people like me. I love the Landrum, Tryon area because I'm looking for a horse property. Can anyone tell me if allergies and asthma are a big problem? Just pollution in general. I originally moved from the south Jersey and thought when I moved to the mountains I would be breathing clear mountain air. I really love your area and I'm hoping I'll be able to manage my asthma better there. Any input would be welcomed... Thank you.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 PM

302 posts, read 686,206 times
I know plenty of people with allergies and asthma here... but they never have problems due to pollution, it's always because of the trees, grass, etc.

My grandmother was a terrible smoker for most of her life and now has all the problems that go along with that (though she stopped smoking about five years ago after being hospitalized for 2 weeks) and she lives in Campobello. She has issues, but it isn't unbearable.

For most people it isn't that big of an issue. Seasonal allergies happen, though.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,568,293 times
Kind of a tangent here, but just as an FYI, I just read in Greenville Business magazine that the state's first truffle farm (think pigs sniffing around trees in France) is now open near Landrum. Landrum is also the home of the Red Horse Inn (South Carolina romantic getaways, couples retreat SC, SC couples getaway) and several cute shops, pubs, etc.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:09 PM

9,968 posts, read 13,726,972 times
Tryon: snooty horse country, expensive housing/land

Landrum: nice small town, not much to do, not as snooty as Tryon but could be; wide spot in the road. Nice housing will be expensive if you want land with it because it is closer to Tryon.

Inman: very small old fashioned town, well positioned to grow based on its proximity to Spartanburg, plenty of land, and housing prices should be reasonable

Campobello: nice, rural, nice subdivisions, golf. Check housing prices, nice area, plus there is a nice lake nearby: Lake Bowen

Greer: closer to Greenville, good airport access and highway access and still has that country feel. Would be my choice for access to the world around you, shopping close enough, malls not on top of you but good access. Good access to I 26 and I-85 to Charlotte.

I'm in Hendersonville, and would rather drive to Greenville or Spartanburg than Asheville for some good shopping malls. Publix, Trader Joe's, Bloom .... the good stuff. Plus gas prices in SC are cheaper.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area