Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:23 AM

375 posts, read 912,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashasings View Post
I'm saddened by the decline in the quality of life I've witnessed in SC and W-NC...due in part by a huge population shift and due in part to folks not wanting to pay taxes so that our states can remain quaint and clean and beautiful. Unemployment rates are on the rise, as is poverty and the crime which is caused by the poverty and over-crowding. Harsh, but true. My family has lived in the Carolinas for many generations, but I now find myself looking for someplace else to live. Sad.
I completely agree! I am one of those from Florida who fell in love with the small town charm and beauty of WNC, but the same people who moved to FL and complained about property taxes b/c the $$ going to school systems (b/c they don't have kids), now are moving to WNC/SC and doing the same thing!!! It doesn't seem fair that some people ruin it for everyone - I'm afraid it may end up being the same in the upstate Carolinas as in Florida - runaway development, at the benefit of those who have $$ houses and developers, and the rest of us grunts are left with higher taxes to help pay for the development...

(hope this doesn't offend anyone - I am not trying to)

I love the upstate and WNC, I just hope we don't move here and find the same thing we are trying to leave in FL --
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 01:14 PM

13 posts, read 68,538 times
Default Tryon, and Landrum

I wanted to tell you about our recent trips to Tryon and Landrum in our search for a new home. We are very impressed with the friendliness of the people in both places. I am a mother and grandmother and felt incredibly welcomed in both towns. It is too bad that a few have to spoil it for the rest of the people, it is that way all over I think. I am very blessed that there are still places that can make you feel "at home" while you are trying to "find" your home! I am a very trusting person and have found people in both communities to be trusting of me. I can't imagine living in a place where people thought you were out to get them with everything you did.

We are searching for a home to lease in Landrum, Tryon or Columbus. Because of my alleriges and sensitivities it will take a while to find just the right thing but we are being patient. We have found a wonderful property manager in the area that is just great! We would recommend him to anyone looking to lease a home. He knows people everywhere and probably would know about purchasing a home as well. His company is Thousand Pines Property Management in Tryon and he covers all the surrounding areas. Friendly, thorough and patient, as well as honest. As I am meeting new people they tell me he is great. Thanks for all your help! We are settled in knowing the area, but havent' decided yet which side of the boarder we will end up on, N.C. or S.C. I guess it depends on where we locate a house that will work for me.

Thanks again!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 6,077 times
deleted

Last edited by rcm64; 08-23-2008 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: wrong post

Old 08-23-2008, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 6,077 times
I live between Greer & Inman, I have lived in SC my entire life and particularly in Greenville & Spartanburg Counties for the past 18 years. Where I am is 15 mins from downtown Greer, hardley any traffic, very rural and 15 mins in the opposite direction has me in Landrum. I love where we are, it's quiet, crickets at nights, birds in the mornings, fair land prices, convenience to Greenville & Spartanburg yet away from the hustle & bustle of their traffic, etc. There are all natural stores in Greer, Spartanburg & Greenville. Along with the same type Drs in all three areas. Granted Inman doesn't have a downtown like Landrum does but Greer's is close. I am right in the middle of these two towns and luckily also on the border of the two county lines.
This sounds like something you might want to consider to enable you to be within close driving range to all theplaces you want to be. We take day trips to Lake Lure, Chimney Rock, Rutherforton, Spindale, Flat Rock, even Asheville..all within an hour to us. Unfortunately Woodruff is sor of out there on it's own. Yes you can drive to Greenville or Spartanburg but there isn't much there for retirement age people to see or do (gee I hope I didn't offend any Woodruff folks). From Greer, Inman, Lyman, Landrum, Campobello you can be in the mountains in a half hour. Property in Landrum and Greer will be more expensive. Remember Landrum is only 5 minutes from Tryon, NC which is home to many high dollar horse farms. Put yourself in driving distance without paying inflated prices. Due to our business, we will be moving soon into Western NC and I must admit the prices there are a little higher than what we have around here. We have to have a business address and a place to store property there or else we would just drive back & forth. We have decided to try living there since we go there all the time

Let's get to the home schooling and home birth issues real quick. I home schooled my daughter for 4 years of her school years. I am not sure what regulations you speak of. Either my husband or I had to have a high school diploma and we had to be prepared to show proof of the work she had completed if we were checked by the state. Other than that, I am not aware of any regulations. As for home births, my sister in law did that with a midwife, not my cup of tea but it can legally be done in SC. My first child I insisted on all natural, no problem because labor only lasted 20 mins! My second child, they said I was not in labor and stopped it. This put me to sleep for 6 hours. I woke up in hard labor and had a baby girl 3 hours later. My third and last child I realized there were no trophys given for painful labor & delivery and agreed to an epidural IF I felt a need during labor. After 6 hours of labor the dr said
"you are really tense, I think we could have this baby in 30 mins.if you would go ahead and take the epidural now." Less than 10 mins later I had a baby boy. That said, I am 43 years old and if I fould out today I was pregnant I would request an epidural at 7 months!!! JUST TEASING!
Welcome to our beautiful state and I know you will enjoy your retirement years here regardless of which little town you end up in. There is SO much to see & do.
Good Luck

Old 08-23-2008, 11:36 PM

4 posts, read 9,333 times
Default the more I read...the more I like

I have been visiting this site for a few months now. I live in Pennsylvania now and besides bedomming very expensive the cold winters are getting a bit old and so am I. Oil heat is nuts through the winter here. What I have seen of S.C. I just loved and most of the people on this site reflect very friendly helpful people. In fact I have received some wonderful replies from an earlier posting. It might not be for a number of months to a year but I am looking foward to starting a new life in S.C.
Bye for now, Patricia

Old 08-25-2008, 02:03 PM

Default Landrum?

Hi Again, We have made several trips up to all four....Landrum, Tryon, Columbus and Saluda. We have looked at several houses. Due to my sensitivities it probably will be a while to find a house I can be in but we are continuing to look. We are wondering if Landrum wouldn't be better because we could stay in SC and not have to redo our license plates and drivers license so majoring, just a change of address instead of state.

Anyway, the people seem very nice in all the towns and they are so near each other its great. We are not seeing as many rentals though in Landrum and are not sure how to find them. The local realtors don't do rentals and the property manager that covers Columbus, Tryon and Saluda doesn't seem to do Landrum. Anyone know how to go about finding something like a rental? Thanks

Old 08-25-2008, 02:09 PM

Default Hi and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossombogart View Post
I have been visiting this site for a few months now. I live in Pennsylvania now and besides bedomming very expensive the cold winters are getting a bit old and so am I. Oil heat is nuts through the winter here. What I have seen of S.C. I just loved and most of the people on this site reflect very friendly helpful people. In fact I have received some wonderful replies from an earlier posting. It might not be for a number of months to a year but I am looking foward to starting a new life in S.C.
Bye for now, Patricia
Hi Patricia,

You will like getting out of the cold winters...we moved here from CO and I am looking forword to the winter here! I hope it goes well for you to relocate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area