Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 23,959 times

Advertisements

I may move to Greenville, SC soon. We are concerned about the summer heat.
We are from cool climates. How bad are mosquitoes? Does it cool off in the evenings? In July, can you enjoy walking outside in the evening?

Are there other biting insects, like flies or "no see ums"?

Are there swimming pools open to the public? What about nearby lakes or "swimming holes"?

Bryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 11:09 AM

90 posts, read 443,130 times
It does get hot here in the summer. We are in the South afterall. Humidity gets very high. We're a sticky, humid heat. The worst month is mid-July into August. Temps can reach into the high 90s with 90% humidity, making it feel over 100. You get used to it. Stay in the a/c or at a pool and the summer won't be as bad! The evenings do cool down some. It just depends. If we get a thunderstorm, that will cool things down for a while. I personally don't get out and walk in July. It's just too hot. I cannot stand the heat and humidity. We won't cool down to a pleasant 70 I can tell you that. Unless it rains. Then I get out and walk some! Anyhow, it's not that bad. Your body does get used to it.

As for public pools, Greenville has several in the county. One I do know of is the Westside Aquatic Center at 2700 West Blue Ridge Drive, Greenville, SC 29611. I'm not sure if you have to pay an admission fee or not. There are 'Y's here that you can join. Some neighborhoods have a neighborhood pool and part of your HOA fee pays for access to the pool in the summer. We used to live in a neighborhood that had this deal. It was nice! Nearby lakes include Hartwell and Keowee. There are public access beaches off of both lakes.

As far as bugs go, we do have mosquitoes and other biting insects like the 'no see ums' you mentioned. I use Off and that has worked fine for me during the summer.

Good luck with your move!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:32 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
I agree with what catschmidt says. But I'd like to point out that late March, April, May, September, October, and early November all have beautiful weather, where it is very pleasant to be outside. June, July, and August are the only months where it is consistently unpleasant.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
tnt

47 posts, read 241,302 times
we are north of the 'no bug line' for the most part(try middle ga. to columbia area, they aren't)
temps get above 95(regular feel) only a few times in the summer, and the 'real feel' gets above 100 just a few times also(2006, 4 days, all in a row).
otherwise, the avg. high temps in july and august were 88-92, mean temps were 75-79.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:01 PM

35 posts, read 127,371 times
Can anyone elaborate on "the no bug line"? Would Keowee have a lot of mosquitos?

Old 01-29-2007, 06:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
I don't think there is literally a "no bug line", but the idea is correct. I'm pretty sure that Columbia is below that imaginary line, not above it. When I moved to Greensboro from Sumter/Columbia, the fire ants, mosquitos, and giant flying cockroaches disappeared. I don't know about Greenville/Keowee, I would imagine that it is fairly bugless.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:29 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,461 times
Once you get past about Newberry eastward, now THAT'S heat/humidity/bug country!!! My grandparents have a family farm about 35 miles NW of Myrtle Beach, and I don't visit in the summers. The sand flies, gnats, very high heat, humidity, ect are unbearable to me. The same for any gulf coast state. So when people here in the Piedmont (the area which pretty much follows I-85 from Durham to Greenville) say it's really hot/humid/buggy here, I just smile. It can get that way somewhat, but after seeing how it is elsewhere, it's very bearable.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:12 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,023 times
I haven't noticed bugs and skeeters being real bad here in the upstate. Certainly nothing a little bug repellant spray can't fix.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:38 PM
tnt

47 posts, read 241,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I don't think there is literally a "no bug line", but the idea is correct. I'm pretty sure that Columbia is below that imaginary line, not above it. When I moved to Greensboro from Sumter/Columbia, the fire ants, mosquitos, and giant flying cockroaches disappeared. I don't know about Greenville/Keowee, I would imagine that it is fairly bugless.
it was often referred to, before i moved up here from middle Georgia.
thought it was crazy myself, but seems to be true at least from experience.
fire ants, they've seen to follow me up here though, but then, in some areas where i used to appraise houses around a 200 mile radius of the western Carolinas, there would be none at all. waiting on that toxic fly to be public, off with those fire ant's heads lol!

http://southwestfarmpress.com/news/0...orid-fly-ants/
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/fireant.html

Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 AM

13 posts, read 52,889 times
All I have to say is FLIES. Good God. It seems that if the door is open for more than a second you've got 5 flies in the house. I live in Simpsonville by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area