Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 05:17 AM

19 posts, read 58,451 times

Advertisements

Were thinking of moving to South Carolina for the winter months. We have no clue where to go that is nice and quiet and priced reasonable. Any ideas anyone? Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 03:55 PM

915 posts, read 2,418,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gAILSY View Post
Were thinking of moving to South Carolina for the winter months. We have no clue where to go that is nice and quiet and priced reasonable. Any ideas anyone? Thanks..
Well, it depends on a few factors that deal with your point of view. By this, I mean, what do you consider a reasonable price, climate, and quiet compared to a certain place you've had experience with.

I would consider Greenville to be quieter than Columbia for instance, but our climate differs, as do home prices. On the other hand, the further north on Hwy 25 you go, you might be faced with more snowfall, etc.

As a whole, I consider Greenville to be a quiet city compared to what I'm used to, and I also love our reasonable home prices, and climate is one of the primary reasons I moved here. I personally live in the Simpsonville area near Five Forks, and it's relatively quiet, but close enough to every store/restaurant I could ever hope for.

I hope that helps.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:04 PM

14 posts, read 48,159 times
Gailsy, I had the hardest time finding a blog like we were talking about yesterday on the phone. Well, today I kept searching and here I saw your screen name...small world...lol.....maybe we will end up neighbors....Patricia

Old 08-22-2008, 08:56 AM

114 posts, read 377,336 times
Here is a summary from a South Carolinian:

If you are looking at the 'big' cities:

Greenville - Great location right near the mountains, mild temperate weather. Affordable housing. Some interesting history. Great vibrant downtown area and main street with lots of shops, restaurants and world class parks. The most progressive of South Carolina big cities that is very up and coming.

Columbia - 'Center' of state infrastructure (state government, the center of the state flagship university, fort jackson [huge military base]). Not as 'scenic' as the other big cities, but mild winters, affordable, plenty of dining options and very liveable. The location is central to everything: 1.5 hour drive from the coast (Charleston) or the mountains (Western North Carolina/Upstate SC)

Charleston - Capital of the lowcountry. Beautiful. Lots of history and historic architecture. More expensive than the other two large cities. Nice beaches nearby and great (albeit expensive) seafood restaurants. Mild winters. Most newcomers live 'around' Charleston, rather than 'on the peninsula' because of the high cost of living (and complete lack of parking) in that area. Still a very unique and beautiful place. Many would say, however, that it is not as 'liveable' as either Greenville or Columbia.

Small Towns/Country Living:

If you are more interested in spending your winters in small towns or in the country (with easy access to shopping/amenities) many such places in the 'Upstate' of South Carolina fit the bill. Towns such as Landrum, Travelers Rest and Walhalla provide a very affordable cost of living, relatively mild winters, gorgeous scenery and easy access to the mountains, waterfalls and lakes. All of these small towns are within a short drive (10 minutes or less) of major shopping markets and necessities. Many folks in SC will tell you the 'soul' of the state (some of our most beautiful areas) are found in these smaller towns and rural areas rather than the urban hubs. Of course, this is merely a matter of preference. I thought I would mention this aspect of our state because of your desire for quiet and affordable areas. If you are seeking 'peace' of mind and a 'peaceful' place to live, give these areas a look.

This is just a brief synopsis to get you started, let me know if you have further questions.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:01 PM

36 posts, read 122,580 times
north of greenville in the small rural areas is nice. you could buy property & build.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:26 PM

239 posts, read 700,647 times
if you are looking further south in the state try...City of Aiken Home: City of Aiken, South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area