U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2008, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
469 posts, read 521,101 times
Reputation: 181

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
Greenville just isn't built to accommodate a truly functional mass transit system. I'm not saying anything bad about the city, it's just that the design nor the population don't lend themselves well to mass transit. The area is too "car" based right now for it to work.
I don't quite understand what you mean.
I haven't lived here very long so I am not completely familiar with everything around but it seems to me there are pockets of areas spread out all over the county that I would consider "destinations" with shopping and dining options. Woodruff Rd., Downtown, Cherrydale, Laurens Rd. Wade Hampton all the way to Greer and I am sure there are more, but like I say I am not familiar with the area completely.
It would seem to me that that is a great scenario for a transit system. Bus routes based upon these "destinations" with stops along the way to pick up passengers. At least it would be a start.

But then again I'm new so what do I know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
 
Location: In transit
161 posts, read 366,470 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
I don't quite understand what you mean.
I haven't lived here very long so I am not completely familiar with everything around but it seems to me there are pockets of areas spread out all over the county that I would consider "destinations" with shopping and dining options. Woodruff Rd., Downtown, Cherrydale, Laurens Rd. Wade Hampton all the way to Greer and I am sure there are more, but like I say I am not familiar with the area completely.
It would seem to me that that is a great scenario for a transit system. Bus routes based upon these "destinations" with stops along the way to pick up passengers. At least it would be a start.

But then again I'm new so what do I know....
I guess what I meant is that bus routes donít seem well defined, busses donít run as frequently as they should, and many of the bus stops Iíve seen just seem to be planted in the middle of no where without sidewalks around them (this may be somewhat different in different areas of the city). After riding mass transit for many years, I would take a bus downtown to work if: A) the busses ran more often; b) there was a stop near my house,d) if there was a "park and ride" area, meaning drive to a central spot and take the bus from there, and D) if I didnít have to walk along side of a busy road to get to said bus stop. Like I said, this may be different in other areas of the city; this is just what I witnessed in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
502 posts, read 824,692 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
Greenville just isn't built to accommodate a truly functional mass transit system. I'm not saying anything bad about the city, it's just that the design nor the population don't lend themselves well to mass transit. The area is too "car" based right now for it to work.

I actually thought that it was set up nicely for mass transit. They could put routes along I-385 and hit Mauldin, Simpsonville and Fountain Inn; put one along a Hwy. 25 Route and hit TR and which does not have a huge pop. right now, but the cliffs are a start to a big pop. boom. Then a route could go to I-Car/Millennium Campus. Then obviously more routes to "Uptown" Haywood Rd, Woodruff Rd and Laurens Rd. It is set up it just has to be implemented.

Last edited by g-vegas; 08-27-2008 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Grammar Errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
469 posts, read 521,101 times
Reputation: 181
I think the areas throughout the county itself are situated nicely for mass transit. Whether or not the transit system is properly set up is another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 AM
 
3,627 posts, read 12,408,301 times
Reputation: 2682
This is the long range transit map - the plan is on the greenville planning site
I know plans are often not actualized -

http://www.greenvillecounty.org/gcpc.../Transit_B.pdf
http://www.greenvillecounty.org/gcpc...NAL_112007.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,064 posts, read 19,940,759 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
This is the long range transit map - the plan is on the greenville planning site
I know plans are often not actualized -

http://www.greenvillecounty.org/gcpc.../Transit_B.pdf
http://www.greenvillecounty.org/gcpc...NAL_112007.pdf
I'll be older than you grannynancy by the time that happens. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
502 posts, read 824,692 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I'll be older than you grannynancy by the time that happens. LOL.
You got that right Why dont they put in some HOV lanes on I-85 and I-385, maybe that will encourage carpooling or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,064 posts, read 19,940,759 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
You got that right Why dont they put in some HOV lanes on I-85 and I-385, maybe that will encourage carpooling or something.
They don't have the money. Need to raise the state gas tax first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
469 posts, read 521,101 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
They don't have the money. Need to raise the state gas tax first.
Raise the gas tax to install HOV lanes to reduce the amount of gas used to reduce the overall tax revenue.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
502 posts, read 824,692 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
Raise the gas tax to install HOV lanes to reduce the amount of gas used to reduce the overall tax revenue.....

Yup! Sounds like government to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top