U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-28-2009, 06:40 AM
 
Location: On a Farm & by the sea
1,076 posts, read 2,418,318 times
Reputation: 901

Advertisements

I killed one this past week but thankfully it was out in the yard in my chimenea. I stuck my hand in the chimenea to move it without looking inside first. Thank the good Lord I wasn't bitten!!!!! I didn't have any spider spray so I sprayed wasp spray.....I think I sprayed so much I drowned it instead of poisoning it! I've posted a thread in another forum looking for the best ways to keep spiders at least OUTSIDE and out of the house. I think I would have a nervous breakdown if I found one inside.....
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2009, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
126 posts, read 342,061 times
Reputation: 63
From what I've read on black widows, they like, and live in dark corners and under things. I've never worried about spraying for them as you can waste a lot of money on spray. But I'm always careful about sticking my hands under boxes or trash cans or into corners of garages where I can't see clearly. If you see one out in the driveway, or otherwise in the open, I'd say its because its already been disturbed from its home. There's also a similar, and poisonous, spider named brown widow. I've only seen one of these in my life.

I can't imagine spraying a black widow with poison if you can see it. Especially if someone says they take a long time to die. What if they don't die? Just smash it. Be sure. Also, if you find it in its web, and not just walking down the driveway, look for the white egg sac and smash that too! There is often a sac of eggs in each web I've ever seen. Also, be aware that a black widow can JUMP. Especially if on solid ground. Don't play around with it or try to turn it over to see the hour-glass on the bottom. The picture in this discourse is sufficient for that! The topside of the spider is all black.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Greater Greenville, SC
5,889 posts, read 11,018,655 times
Reputation: 10477
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurx View Post
From what I've read on black widows, they like, and live in dark corners and under things. I've never worried about spraying for them as you can waste a lot of money on spray. But I'm always careful about sticking my hands under boxes or trash cans or into corners of garages where I can't see clearly. If you see one out in the driveway, or otherwise in the open, I'd say its because its already been disturbed from its home. There's also a similar, and poisonous, spider named brown widow. I've only seen one of these in my life.

I can't imagine spraying a black widow with poison if you can see it. Especially if someone says they take a long time to die. What if they don't die? Just smash it. Be sure. Also, if you find it in its web, and not just walking down the driveway, look for the white egg sac and smash that too! There is often a sac of eggs in each web I've ever seen. Also, be aware that a black widow can JUMP. Especially if on solid ground. Don't play around with it or try to turn it over to see the hour-glass on the bottom. The picture in this discourse is sufficient for that! The topside of the spider is all black.
Black widow spiders can JUMP? Now for sure I won't be disturbing it unless I KNOW I can kill it on my first try. Yikes!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
126 posts, read 342,061 times
Reputation: 63
Or, when I say "JUMP", you can say "How High"! I saw one jump once while teasing it as a kid. I was surprised that it jumped upwards several inches. I think in the web though its going to stay in the web or retreat to a darker corner. No guarantee though!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM
 
Location: On a Farm & by the sea
1,076 posts, read 2,418,318 times
Reputation: 901
Yeah, I was surprised the other day when the one I discovered very near my hand jumped several inches......eezzzzz I'm still squirming. Now that I've read this post, I've got to go back and look to see if there is a darn egg sack. Never thought of that......wish me luck........
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 07:21 AM
 
1,907 posts, read 1,303,306 times
Reputation: 3000
Black widow spiders don't have the ability to jump. If you saw a jumping black spider, it was something else. Black widows are web spinners, and web spinners are not jumpers. Spiders that jump are solitary predator-hunters, like wolf spiders are. They don't spin webs to catch food, but rely on... jumping ambushes to seize prey like a leopard.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 07:24 AM
 
1,907 posts, read 1,303,306 times
Reputation: 3000
P.S. An excellent spider spray is Whitmire PT 240. It kills 'em dead instantly. But you can't buy it in normal retail stores like WalMart. It is a professional brand that is normally sold at landscaper wholesalers or lawn and garden supply stores. Spiders don't die well from pesticide because they are not insects with soft bodies that drag along the ground and really pick up the poison well. Spiders have hard exoskeletons and they walk on their "tip toes", so they don't absorb poison very well. You have to spray them directly and wet them down. Residual effects won't kill them after the poison dries.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 08:41 AM
 
Location: On a Farm & by the sea
1,076 posts, read 2,418,318 times
Reputation: 901
Thanks Led..... Rep to you for the recommendation. my spider was the BW. I saw the red hourglass shape. It "jumped" down from it's web to the side of the chimenea.....downward motion but she definitely got off the web and went down several inches to the side of the chimenea. Hey, I'm glad to hear they can't jump UP....that is good news. Better news would be if no one ever saw one again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Greater Greenville, SC
5,889 posts, read 11,018,655 times
Reputation: 10477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Black widow spiders don't have the ability to jump. If you saw a jumping black spider, it was something else. Black widows are web spinners, and web spinners are not jumpers. Spiders that jump are solitary predator-hunters, like wolf spiders are. They don't spin webs to catch food, but rely on... jumping ambushes to seize prey like a leopard.
I've seen web-spinning spiders that appear to jump, but maybe they are just dangling from one of their threads they use to make their web?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 12:10 PM
 
1,907 posts, read 1,303,306 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I've seen web-spinning spiders that appear to jump, but maybe they are just dangling from one of their threads they use to make their web?
That's correct. And that's what I think this is what she experienced here. Since it was a downward movement, the spider was probably dropping on its thread, sort of clumsily I guess.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top