U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 PM

502 posts, read 791,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Guess what state you were also born in.

Success to me is not measured in the amount of stuff you have. It's measured in quality of life. If you love the growth then why not go to a bigger city than Greenville?

Do I hate diversity? Haha No. I know people of other races that I like more than a lot of white people(I am white). I know rude, mean white people that I dislike and I know polite, nice black(or other) people that I do like. But all the diversity talk really sounds like you are afraid people will think you are racist if you don't talk about how open-minded you are all the time.

Why is race still an issue, I go on vacation for two weeks, come back and nothing has changed. Get off the race thing, all people are equal, and should be treated as such. Not answering for g-man, but if he is anything like me he enjoys watching a city grow and change, rather than just move to one that is overcrowded and old. Grow up and get past color, if I have to hear this stuff anymore on the forum, i am going to go elsewhere. This is a place for city talk not whining about what color you are.

Last edited by g-vegas; 09-12-2008 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Grammar Error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 05:27 PM

14 posts, read 43,135 times
Guestposter longs for the good old days. I remember in the early 1960's when Greenville filled in the municipal pool in Cleveland Park rather than integrate it. Someone once wrote a book called "The Good Old Days - They Were Terrible!". As someone who has lived here for over forty years, Greenville has never been so attractive, never been so mindful of its' citizens, and never so fortunate as it has been for the last ten years.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:38 PM

835 posts, read 1,968,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzthecat View Post
Guestposter longs for the good old days. I remember in the early 1960's when Greenville filled in the municipal pool in Cleveland Park rather than integrate it.
Not those "good" old days. I wasn't raised like that.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:32 PM

161 posts, read 353,318 times
Back on topic, I find it surprising that Greenville is putting so much stock in downtown when all you see when you travel down Laurens Road (and to some extent Woodruff Road) is empty store fronts. If they aren't careful, the city is going to kill off other areas of the city.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-23-2008 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: the off topic rant was deleted

Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,754,163 times
Concerning Laurens Road...
If you look to the other side of the road, you will notice that the vast majority of business is auto sales related and not currently retail. The Laurens Road corridor is undoubtedly set to experience a significant rebirth as the massive Verdae Development continues to grow into fruition. This will definitely bring thousands of new residents to the Laurens Road neighborhood. Also nearby is the high-tech ICAR campus which is only barely into its development life cycle. As time goes on, I expect to hear of new mixed-use residential developments around the Laurens Road corridor and the Rail Trail/Tram Trail which parallels the major thoroughfare.

Concerning Woodruff Road...
I would like to know where the empty storefronts are that you speak of. Certainly there may be a few vacant small spaces, but that is not uncommon for such a stretch of suburban-style retail developments. The occupancy rate along Woodruff Road is actually very strong.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-23-2008 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: the off topic rant was deleted

Old 09-15-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I understand the difference of perspective quite well and value a person's right to speak his/her mind. That is why I continue to offer more accurate and positive examples of what people will experience during their initial visit to Greenville. That is my goal as a member of this forum - to help others whenever possible, and from my many years of experience here, to provide valuable reasons for them to spend the time and money to actually visit the city and region. Guestposter24 has stated more than once that his mission on this forum, for selfish reasons, is to discourage everyone from moving here, thus his strategy is clearly to not help others whenever possible. The main point I try to share is that nearly everyone I know who has visited or moved to the Greenville metro finds the area to be wonderful compared with the places they have previously lived. To back that point up, I encourage people to visit in person and test my claims for themselves. I also encourage them to read and listen to what others who have moved here or visited are saying everyday.

Concerning Laurens Road...
If you look to the other side of the road, you will notice that the vast majority of business is auto sales related and not currently retail. The Laurens Road corridor is undoubtedly set to experience a significant rebirth as the massive Verdae Development continues to grow into fruition. This will definitely bring thousands of new residents to the Laurens Road neighborhood. Also nearby is the high-tech ICAR campus which is only barely into its development life cycle. As time goes on, I expect to hear of new mixed-use residential developments around the Laurens Road corridor and the Rail Trail/Tram Trail which parallels the major thoroughfare.

Concerning Woodruff Road...
I would like to know where the empty storefronts are that you speak of. Certainly there may be a few vacant small spaces, but that is not uncommon for such a stretch of suburban-style retail developments. The occupancy rate along Woodruff Road is actually very strong.
I am going to have to disagree with your on Laurens Road. A lot of the properties there are so environmentally beyond repair that it would cost developers more money to remediate them then what they would be able to sell them for. If you travel on Laurens towards downtown, you will notice that the auto sales stop and the empty store fronts begin. That area was abused for so long that unless the City or the State places incentives for development, the structures will remain to sit idle.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 PM

9,731 posts, read 18,878,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
Back on topic, I find it surprising that Greenville is putting so much stock in downtown when all you see when you travel down Laurens Road (and to some extent Woodruff Road) is empty store fronts. If they aren't careful, the city is going to kill off other areas of the city.
Fine with me. I would rather have downtown be successful and see Woodruff Road fail.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Fine with me. I would rather have downtown be successful and see Woodruff Road fail.
Ya. that would make sense, especially since downtown is more then large enough to substain all the displaced retail if that happens. Greenville needs more scenes of urban blight so I say go for it.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 AM

502 posts, read 791,799 times
Come on didnt you know it is so much fun to hate Greenville. Trust me I dont know, i cant stand some people that have to criticize everything. I love Greenville; yes it has its problems, but what city doesnt. Believe me I could sit here all day and pick out things I dont like about the city, but how does that make it better, the only thing that makes it better is, encouraging good people to move here, not discourage people by badmouthing it.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-23-2008 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: the post in reference has been deleted

Old 09-16-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
every single post I read of your is negative rude and cynical, why?
Why is it rude to state that letting the Woodruff Road area die would be a bad idea (which is what I was replying to)?

Like I said before, just because someone's opinon doesn't mesh with yours, doesn't make them "negative, rude, and cynical".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area