U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:05 PM

2,327 posts, read 1,724,704 times

Advertisements

I paid $4.39 this afternoon at the Pumpers in Easley - notice how many stations don't even have the prices up anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:45 PM

108 posts, read 315,223 times
Was $3.51 on the westside of Spartanburg at 10:45 this morning, $3.99 this evening at 6:30pm.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 PM

161 posts, read 353,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Gas in rural areas costs more because it takes longer to get it there.
The cost depends on who the distributor is and what they are charging, coupled with their cost, labor, whether the tanks in the station are privately owned, etc. Just because a station is in a rural area doesn't dictate the price. Case in point, the Lil Cricket on Mauldin Road was the most expensive we saw and it's not in a rural area.

News flash: there is no gas shortage. The Gulf Coast counts for 1/5 of the petroleum production that the country consumes. One of the reasons stations are charging so much is because people in the Upstate are paranoid that the hurricane is going to some how stop all the gas production. It wouldn't be so bad if people here would just calm down and not rush to the pump because there's a storm. My wife spoke with relatives in Louisiana, and no one there is rushing to get gas.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:21 PM

239 posts, read 603,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
The cost depends on who the distributor is and what they are charging, coupled with their cost, labor, whether the tanks in the station are privately owned, etc. Just because a station is in a rural area doesn't dictate the price. Case in point, the Lil Cricket on Mauldin Road was the most expensive we saw and it's not in a rural area.

News flash: there is no gas shortage. The Gulf Coast counts for 1/5 of the petroleum production that the country consumes. One of the reasons stations are charging so much is because people in the Upstate are paranoid that the hurricane is going to some how stop all the gas production. It wouldn't be so bad if people here would just calm down and not rush to the pump because there's a storm. My wife spoke with relatives in Louisiana, and no one there is rushing to get gas.
i hate to bust your theory but gas here in aiken is right at 5 bucks a gallon if you can find a station that still has some left...most of the bp's are sold out even the premium is gone... and houston and galveston is the major hub for petro distibution... so cat 2 hurricane+evacuation of the oil workers=5 dollar a gallon gas....god i hate to see the diseal prices when i head back out.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:27 AM

161 posts, read 353,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
i hate to bust your theory but gas here in aiken is right at 5 bucks a gallon if you can find a station that still has some left...most of the bp's are sold out even the premium is gone... and houston and galveston is the major hub for petro distibution... so cat 2 hurricane+evacuation of the oil workers=5 dollar a gallon gas....god i hate to see the diseal prices when i head back out.
The reason stations are running out is because everyone is rushing to get gas. Stations fill up based on a projected schedule of sales. Some stations/distributors weren't expecting everyone to panic and get gas, thus the tanks are out. I'm sure there will be tanker trucks on the road today to refill the tanks.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:57 PM

227 posts, read 678,576 times
I'm way to the west in Seneca. (past Clemson if you don't know) and last night it ranged from $3.89 to $4.25. Now everywhere is averaging $3.99. The place that I went to last night (felt dumb when I saw another at $3.89) was $4.25 til almost lunch time today, then they went down to $3.99.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:18 PM

3,547 posts, read 5,661,024 times
We spent the weekend in the Charleston area, and before we left on Friday morning, gas in our neighborhood was $3.39. The best price we saw at the beach over the weekend was $3.68. I saw $3.71 this morning in the Isle of Palms/Mt. Pleasant area and didn't see any evidence of panic buying in the Lowcountry. We were trying to avoid paying that "high" price, but on our way home today saw prices along I-26 as high as $4.89. Weird that prices around Columbia would be higher than the beach.

When we got back home tonight, the BP station on Pelham @ I-85 was $3.99 .

Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 PM

9,747 posts, read 18,900,326 times
$4.67 at Pumpers up the street from my house for unleaded regular. $13 a gallon currently in the UK though.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 AM

126 posts, read 331,757 times
I'm in Travelers Rest and see the same price rises. But went to Hendersonville NC yesterday and prices are still well below $4.00 everywhere. It may be a local panic. I don't blame the stations at all. If they think they won't be getting more gas at all because refineries are down (as many have been since Gustov), they have to do what they have to do to pay their bills. If they expect to sell way less gas then they have to get a lot more for each gallon of it. I am way more worried about the supply running out than the price. If gas dries up in another week, we'll all wish it had jumped to $7 or $8 right away to preserve it in the pumps a little longer. I'd say drive very prudently with respect to consumption until you are sure you are going to be able to get your next tank full.

Right now, the news in the Houston Chronicle says that most refineries in the area, including Port Arthur did not flood unreasonably, have limited damage, and power is partially on and production is expected to resume at some time in the near future. This includes the 3 largest refineries of Exxon, BP and Shell, plus Valero and others. But until it resumes, and shipments begin again, there is, RIGHT NOW, no gasoline moving this way as I understand it and they don't expect production to renew for 8 to 9 days.

Here's an article from the Dallas news from last night:
WEATHER Blog | The Dallas Morning News

Old 09-15-2008, 02:50 PM

3,547 posts, read 5,661,024 times
Blue Jay and Red Robin on Woodruff were both completely out of (100%) gasoline at noon today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area