U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM

39 posts, read 81,379 times

Advertisements

I don't understand. I guess I don't know what a pastor is. Isn't that the guy who does a talk at church on Sunday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM

4,109 posts, read 12,665,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sois View Post
I don't understand. I guess I don't know what a pastor is. Isn't that the guy who does a talk at church on Sunday?
It's a bit more than giving a talk on Sunday, it's ministering to an entire church body/family, they're on call almost all the time and yes, they certainly get salaries, many don't cover their expenses.

---

Per Merriam Webster's online dictionary:

pastor

3 entries found.
  1. 1pastor (noun)
  2. 2pastor (transitive verb)
  3. 3pastor (noun)

Ads by Google
Pastoral Studies Online
Become an Pastor From
www.eLearners.com/Pastor

Main Entry:1pas·tor Pronunciation:\ˈpas-tər\ Function:noun Etymology:Middle English pastour, from Anglo-French, from Latin pastor herdsman, from pascere to feed — more at foodDate:14th century: a spiritual overseer ; especially : a clergyman serving a local church or parish

Old 07-15-2009, 05:18 AM

Hmm... I always saw that as a volunteer type job. Did Jesus get paid in the Bible? Very curious now. Do all pastors get paid? Every church denomination?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:47 AM

4,109 posts, read 12,665,512 times
Senior pastors of course get salaries and so do junior and youth pastors, it's like anything else. Sunday school teachers and youth group leaders don't as those are generally volunteer positions. Perhaps your question w/b better answered by posting in the Religion forum.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:23 AM

6 posts, read 26,617 times
Just thought I'd toss this in. Not to offend anyone.
Jesus didn't have to get paid: He knew where the fish with money in their bellies were, ate excess grain in the field, at friend's houses, and had "no where to rest His head".
But if the question is in the Bible did pastors get paid, the answer is sometimes. In the Acts and the letters they talk about when someone was sent to a city that was first building a church, they'd get supported either by working another job on the side or by donations from other the churches in city-states to help them get off the ground. After that, it varied by community. Paul made tents as his side job, but he was itinerant. I know in most modern day congregations, the church would be shamed by the idea of not paying the pastor because it would show a lack of generosity on their part.
However, no one becomes one to get rich. (I hope!) But when you're devoting most of your hours per week to the church (most pastors work more than 40 hours a week) expecting enough money to cover shelter, food, insurance, a car, etc is not unreasonable.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sptnbg area local born NJ View Post
But when you're devoting most of your hours per week to the church (most pastors work more than 40 hours a week) expecting enough money to cover shelter, food, insurance, a car, etc is not unreasonable.
What exactly do they do for 40 hours a week?

In researching this, I know that Jehova's Witness pastors do not get paid. Also, any time they construct a new church, it is volunteer work by the members. Even their literature is free. Everything is truly donation based, even the most valuable of resources: time. This seems like the ideal model.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 AM

2,064 posts, read 5,151,468 times
Come on people, it's not a good idea to feed the trolls!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 AM

5,321 posts, read 6,071,182 times
Well if this person is still looking for a youth pastor job, my neighbor said that Unity Baptist Church in Simpsonville is looking for a youth pastor and is interviewing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area