U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:06 PM

910 posts, read 1,770,915 times

Advertisements

I like pastrami but that's too exaggerated, tell me it isn't for real!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:20 PM

239 posts, read 620,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
I like pastrami but that's too exaggerated, tell me it isn't for real!
yep it's real ....it's about a 12 buck sandwich but easily 2 meals

Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 PM

2,865 posts, read 4,003,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post

Why, thanks , NYC is too big for me, besides you said it... winters!!! Instead, how about if we both "mosy on down" to Greenville together? (I need convincing because I'm still thinking of NC...).
I swear I'll look up up!!! I'd love to try to understand the south. Maybe we can hook up with G-Vegas and get a pizza...

Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 PM

395 posts, read 364,310 times
Im from Virginia, and Deep South people tell me "that aint the real South". That gets me irked.

Anyways about North vs South:

Here in Virginia its MUCH more an issue because we are closer to the North and NOVA is turning much more Northern . Richmond still holds true to the Old South, however. But still...
I notice Northerners:

-Can be friendly, but they tend to be more abrupt and blunt and say what they mean

-Seem to have an air of superiority- especially the women. A certain "haughtyness" I cant really explain. The complete opposite of the Southern belle- her haughtyness is more subtle.

-Often have harsh accents- kind of nasal in sound and clip their words when they speak. Also say "you guys" even to females- which I find much worse and lamentable than "y'all- the proper way, lol

-They seem like they're forever in a hurry and always have to do things now. I work in fast food- and when Northern customers come in, they seem much much more urgent. They kind of tend to fidget while they wait. And when I give them their food they sometimes forget to say "thank you"

-They like to talk about how they did stuff "better" up North. "You People" need to stop fighting the War. How things "down here" are backwards. How we have more "racism" here-which really isnt true. In fact race relations in Richmond are better than most USA cities North or South.

-They honk their horn 10x as much- will honk even if you are just making a right turn and waiting for someone to cross the street

Southerners:

-We like to take our time more and make "small talk"

-Going to church is a bigger deal for us

-Sweet Tea is not just a drink, its a way of life!

Ok, so there ya have it. BTW- I dont mean to insult and Northerners on here, its just what I notice- and I realize NOT ALL Northerners are this way. Its just the culture that is Northeast.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:39 PM

239 posts, read 620,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I swear I'll look up up!!! I'd love to try to understand the south. Maybe we can hook up with G-Vegas and get a pizza...
you want great pizza better meet in jersey lol

Old 09-20-2008, 08:49 PM

9,974 posts, read 19,707,633 times
Northern people/Southern people? I'm a middle person. Glad I avoided this thread until now. Oh and screw the Yankees. Go Red Sox.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:15 PM

9,974 posts, read 19,707,633 times
Yankees suck. This is Red Sox nation.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:16 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,807,028 times
One huge problem I am noticing with this thread is that people seem to equate the North with NYC and the South with rural America. In reality, the traits and behaviors discussed in this thread seem to be much more related to urban vs. rural.

Well guess what? There is much more to the North than NYC. And the people in the rural North aren't much different from people in the rural South. Both tend to have a slower pace of life, take more time to chat, etc. And on the flip side, there is much more to the South than slow country people sitting on the porch drinking sweet tea. Urban areas in the South tend to be faster paced, where people drive faster and walk more quickly and don't have as much time to stop and chat.

The interesting thing is that most of you naturally fell into imagining the North as urban and aggressive, and the South as rural and slower - which illustrates my earlier post in this thread about how powerful stereotypes are (especially those reinforced by the media).

Old 09-20-2008, 11:15 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,955,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
One huge problem I am noticing with this thread is that people seem to equate the North with NYC and the South with rural America. In reality, the traits and behaviors discussed in this thread seem to be much more related to urban vs. rural.

Well guess what? There is much more to the North than NYC. And the people in the rural North aren't much different from people in the rural South. Both tend to have a slower pace of life, take more time to chat, etc. And on the flip side, there is much more to the South than slow country people sitting on the porch drinking sweet tea. Urban areas in the South tend to be faster paced, where people drive faster and walk more quickly and don't have as much time to stop and chat.

The interesting thing is that most of you naturally fell into imagining the North as urban and aggressive, and the South as rural and slower - which illustrates my earlier post in this thread about how powerful stereotypes are (especially those reinforced by the media).
rep points for you, this is exactly the case, I am from upstate NY,(Rochester Buffalo, surrounding areas) and the small towns I spent time in are just the same as the small towns down here. ITS THE INDIVIDUAL, NOT THE COLLECTIVE. More people need to realize that. Its ridiculous to think everyone in the north is fast paced obnoxious and only about themselves. It is also ridiculous to think that every southerner is slow, redneck, racist, and hates northerners. I know somewhere along the line stereotypes get created, but we should be able to look past these because more than likely you know people that supersede their particular stereotype so you know they aren't always true! blah blah blah I could go on about this but you get the point, grow up and realize what you hear is not always what is true.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:40 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,893,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I realize that you aren't saying that this is always the case, but in my experience it isn't even the case most of the time. Has that really been your experience, both in the North as well as the South? If so, I hate it for you because I don't see it that way at all.
I can say that, out of my experience, almost every single time I get a assinine customer to deal with at work, that person will have some sort of Northern accent. Chicago, NY, NJ, Pennsylvania...I've had them all. And most of it stems from those people being pushy,loud, and in too much of a hurry to understand what Im trying to explain to them. Now, I do admit that my experience with Northerners is largely limited to my job. Otherwise, in my personal set of friends, there are no northerners. So perhaps this limits my viewpoint.

As for my experience in the South, well, I AM Southern. Nine times out of ten we dont mind ya'll from up north. However we DO mind when a select few try to shove their ways down our throats. Hence my comment that for the most part, Southerners just want to be left alone. Left alone with our way of doing things, without having to hear "This is the way we did it in so-in-so.

These Im going to address individually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, as a Chicagoan that has lived in the south for more years than I care to even think about, there are true differences between the north/south personality and temperament. Most have been addressed in previous postings. However, here are a few additional:

in the south:

appearances are everything. substance/charecter means nothing.
your voice is judged by it's "tone"...e-mails, too (never heard of such a thing!) Because from childhood, tone of voice has been drilled into our heads as important when speaking. Example, a mother who warns "Watch your tone with me, boy." "You'd best be showing some respect in that tone of yours"

it is polite to speak in hushed, quiet voices...anything louder than a whisper is considered "rude"
If a hushed quiet voice means anything less that a voice you can hear easily through 3-4 isles in a store, then yes.
never take charge or act like you know what you are doing. that is considered "aggressive" and (for the ladies) "unladylike"
Good Lord you don't know Southern women well at all do you?! We make taking charge an art, dear. We can take charge, hold it, and 10 minutes later you wonder "How did she end up running things?!"The taking charge that I think you are referring to reminds me of a bull in a china shop.

friendships are shallow and only matter for the time that you are in direct contact with that individual. if, for some reason, your paths should split off, you will never hear from that person again.
Perhaps the people you are referring to really didnt like you in the first place, and were simply minding their manners?
people will talk very nicely to your face, then, turn around and stab you with a ferociousness that you have to experience to understand.

Just because we are nice to your face doesnt mean we have to like you when you're out of the room.
conflict is never addressed. a nice "front" is expected always. no matter what the situation, you are ALWAYS required to be happy and upbeat.

BULL! I see people arguing in public on a daily basis.
Just some things that I have learned over the years.
Then you need to go back to learning, because you know virtually nothing.
Probably everyone here already knows the "northern" traits that are pretty much opposite of the above....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area