U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,184,408 times

Advertisements

Thanks but I dont think the OP is looking for a dual of my town is better than your town type post please post in reference to other topics that the OP is seeking

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 11:46 AM

4,372 posts, read 6,060,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
I really don't care. No matter what, Greenville is better (even though Athens brought about such bands as the B52s, REM, Widespread Panic, The Indigo Girls, etc). You can continue now.
How are these bands any better than R Kelly, Usher, Janet Jackson, REO Speedwagon, etc just to name a few, who have all done shows in Greenville?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:09 PM
acm

11 posts, read 21,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
How are these bands any better than R Kelly, Usher, Janet Jackson, REO Speedwagon, etc just to name a few, who have all done shows in Greenville?
I think what is being implied here is that Greenville does not draw national "college radio" style bands or national alternative music acts to the bi-lo center. The only national "alternative" act I can recall the bi-lo center hosting in the unfortunate 1.5 years I have lived here is Morrissey. It has been my observation the bands which you metioned above, appeal to top 40 listeners or classic rock fans...in larger cities there is quite an adult alternative music following, which the bi-lo center fails to attract.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:12 PM

161 posts, read 366,176 times
Quote:
One could compare their overall impact to the music industry as a whole, but thatís not what this thread is about.

As I stated before, itís all about what type of music you are in to. Depending on your age, someone who is in their mid 20s to their 30s may have more choices in Athens do to the target audience the groups that that play there go for. One the other hand, if someone is older and in to bands such as REO Speedwagon, the choices may be better here. But again, itís all relative.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:25 PM

3,863 posts, read 7,414,129 times
Quote:

Im unable to respond to such an absurd question.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 PM

3,863 posts, read 7,414,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
One could compare their overall impact to the music industry as a whole, but thatís not what this thread is about.

As I stated before, itís all about what type of music you are in to. Depending on your age, someone who is in their mid 20s to their 30s may have more choices in Athens do to the target audience the groups that that play there go for. One the other hand, if someone is older and in to bands such as REO Speedwagon, the choices may be better here. But again, itís all relative.

Oy Vey! REM and REO Speedwagon were out at the same time although REM was still young and REO was hitting their stride with their bloated power ballads. It is possible for some to like both bands, but not likely or common.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:12 PM

4,372 posts, read 6,060,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Im unable to respond to such an absurd question.
Why is it an absurd question? The groups I just mentioned are just as popular as anyone you can name. Is it because you don't like R and B? This is a very unfair and biased response.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:04 PM

161 posts, read 366,176 times
Quote:
Why is it an absurd question? The groups I just mentioned are just as popular as anyone you can name. Is it because you don't like R and B? This is a very unfair and biased response.
I think it has to do with the group's over all impact on the music industry, advancing or in some cases, inventing thier own genre, etc (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong loose cannon).

Someone stated earlier that the music scene is better in Asheville, which I agree with as well (the Smashing Pumpkins did a 3 day set there on a very limited tour). There are also several music festivals there that draw national acts. It doesn't have to do with one town being "better" then the other, just different strokes for different folks (to make it simple). Another poster commented that Greenville doesn't have an alternative scene. Again, it's what you are in to. Personally, I'd pick the Pumkins 1,000,000 times over The Cheetah Girls (coming to the BiLo Center) or REO. But that's just me.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 PM

5,408 posts, read 13,303,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acm View Post
I think what is being implied here is that Greenville does not draw national "college radio" style bands or national alternative music acts to the bi-lo center. The only national "alternative" act I can recall the bi-lo center hosting in the unfortunate 1.5 years I have lived here is Morrissey. It has been my observation the bands which you metioned above, appeal to top 40 listeners or classic rock fans...in larger cities there is quite an adult alternative music following, which the bi-lo center fails to attract.
Morrisey performed at The Peace Center, where many diverse mucical groups play, but may be overlooked by some. I am personally looking forward to the Jazz and Bluegrass groups on the schedule in October and November.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:24 PM

835 posts, read 2,039,200 times
My town can beat up your town!

On a serious note, Greenville is conservative. While there are a lot of parents who let their kids watch movies, etc. that are over their age rating and any kind of music they will be another story when asked about their politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area