U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 02:46 AM

545 posts, read 768,386 times
Default Athens to Greenville?

After what I been reading about Greenville, it seems like a cool small city to come to. Is it like St Pete FL only with cooler weather?
It sounds like it could be but also sounds like it could be smaller than that.
I live in South FL at the time and am looking for a cooler area to move to than 85 degree weather every single day with high humidity.
Reason why I throw Athens into this is because I am also looking at Athens to move to and I wanted to ask how far Athens and Greenville are from eachother so I can maybe hit both cities in 1 trip. Are both of those cities alike also? I wonder how far Greenville might be from St Pete area FL. Looks as if Greenville has some stuff going for it. I wonder if any would compare it to Asheville also since thats 1 more place I wanted to go look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 04:33 AM

8 posts, read 17,370 times
Athens GA, is about an hour drive from Greenville SC. It's also a small town, but the scenery is definitely better in Greenville.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:19 AM

641 posts, read 1,196,185 times
I live in the St Pete FL area. Greenville is smaller, with much less suburban sprawl. We looked at Rome GA and Athens, GA, for a place to live, but when we drove through Greenville (on a whim) we knew we had found 'home'. We bought rural acreage about 15 miles north of the city, but we love Greenville. I normally don't like cities, but Greenville is very accessible. Greenville is about 600 miles from St. Pete- we make the drive often. It takes us about 10 hours, without speeding, and only short stops. Greenville is a much more attractive city, and slightly cooler weather than Athens.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM

1,941 posts, read 2,492,522 times
I don't see many similarities between Greenville and Athens. Greenville is a much larger metro area with a well-developed economy. Athens is more of a college town dominated by the University of Georgia. Honestly, I don't see many similarities at all.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:47 PM

Greenville is more bustling than Athens huh? Interesting. I look at a music scene when I see Athens and thats a big part of why Im considering but I looked at Athens craigslist and didnt find much activity on it day to day so it could just be one of those overhyped places the B-52s and REM came out of just to make you think its a extremely plentiful place.
I prefer less suburban sprawl if I am picking an area.
I notice Tampa has more suburban sprawl maybe even more than St Pete tho. Im glad I got this food for thought to add seeing Greenville looks like one of the more underrated places to go right now. Asheville and Greenville sorta comparble?

Old 09-21-2008, 07:46 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,579,629 times
Interesting comparison. I live in Greenville and work every other weekend in Athens (for the state of GA).

Greenville is at least one hour and 45 minutes to Athens (sometimes slightly more or less depending on I-85 and game day traffic).

The metro Upstate population (1.2 million) is much bigger than Athens. Upscale/decent shopping abounds in the Upstate (especially in Greenville) - Whole Foods, Publix, multiple Costco, etc. I even here that Trader Joe's and an Imax theater will come to Greenville in the next year. Greenville lies in the "foot hills" of the Appalachian/Blue Ridge mountains and offers easy access (1 hour) to Asheville, NC (awesome city). A short drive north of Greenville and you'd swear you're "in the mountains". Downtown Greenville is incredible: scenic and very walkable. Generally conservative area. The local economy is robust and real estate is very stable. Greenville is definitely underrated.

Athens also has a great downtown area: very walkable with a multitude of shops, boutiques, and local eateries. UGA has an expansive, gorgeous campus (and also has beautiful students ). Athens offers easy access to Atlanta (about an hour or more away). Liberal attitudes are fairly pervasive (as with most college campuses). Most families do NOT live in the immediate Athens area (due to the poor public schools). Shopping includes the Georgia Square Mall (with a Macy's), downtown area, and Five Points. Athens has a Target. Athens (generally) is slightly cooler than Greenville.

You may want to ask more specific questions in the Georgia forum (there is no sub-forum for Athens) and the Western North Carolina forum.

Last edited by drfranklin; 09-21-2008 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 07:48 PM

8,740 posts, read 12,334,019 times
I would compare Athens to Clemson not Greenville.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,579,629 times
in reply to g-man,

(lived in Seneca several years ago and visited Clemson many times)

Athens is a much larger city than Clemson - the Athens city population is about 100K (metro Athens is about 175K).

Clemson has a population of about 12K.

Athens has MUCH more amenities than Clemson.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:14 PM

8,740 posts, read 12,334,019 times
So, it's kind of like Anderson then but with a college town feel like Clemson?

Old 09-21-2008, 09:22 PM

Is Athens better for liberal crowds tho than Greenville? If Greenville is a bible belt hugging kinda town despite the friendliness, will that be a prob for someone who looks for liberal cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area