U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,841,955 times

Advertisements

I have been on this forum for hours today. My family (wife and 3 kids) and I are seriously considering moving back south from West MI (we lived in VA Beach for 4 years). We need a change from the horrid economy, weather and taxes here. We have looked seriously into Louisville KY, Knoxville TN and just recently have started to check out Greenville SC. Today, I read the an earlier thread comparing Knoxville to Greenville. It was helpful, but I'd appreciate more information.

I believe the population stats are misleading, listing Knox as having a FAR greater population. My wife, and I to an extent, would prefer a large city with many opportunities for shopping, dining, churches and christian schooling. We want mountains, so which city has better ones that are closer to the city? Which city's zoo is better? Does one area's lakes offer better swimming? My wife is an RN, will Knox or Greenville have better hospitals? It would be nice to have UT sports and TN tax burden is less too. Dollywood is right down the road and they have an aquarium.

So tell me, what is better about Greenville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:03 PM

272 posts, read 285,359 times
The answer to your question is almost entirely based on opinion. There is no way to prove that Greenville is better or has something better than Knoxville.

As for your population comment, on what are you basing the idea that Knoxville has a "far" greater population. If you're refering to county population (since you said "Knox"), according to the census bureau estimates of 2007, Greenville actually has the edge with 428k to Knox's 423. If you're talking about MSAs; Gville MSA is at 613K, with Knoxville at 681K, probably not a noticeable difference. And bear in mind that Gville has two other seperate MSAs bordering it. I assume you are referring to city pop, with estimates at 183k for Knoxville, and only 58K for Greenville. You should not have to look far to find a discussion on here about Gville's city population. Basically the city limits encompass only 26 sq miles due to very strict annexation laws. I don't have a number, but would guess Knoxville's city limis cover several times that area.

As for some of you other questions, you may be better off just visiting each city. Both have many of the things you listed, though Knoxville will indeed be closer to Dollywood or skiing. Gville probably has more lakes. Knoxville has a major university with D1 sports DT, Gville does not. I will go out on a limb and say that Gville's DT probably offers a little more than Knoxville's but that is really an opinon as well. A lot of the other things are probably just toss ups, and it would be difficult for us to try to convince you of anythign online. Hope this helps, good luch with your search.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:14 PM

49 posts, read 137,339 times
I lived in the Knoxville area several years ago, and I have visited Greenville a couple of times. I would say that Knoxville is a little more scenic closer to town than Greenville, although Greenville has some beautiful areas. The bigger mountains are about the same from each city. Greenville has a beautiful downtown and I was never impressed by Knoxville's, although haven't been there for a few years, so maybe they have improved it.

Both cities have numerous nice lakes nearby, not sure about the swimming, but I imagine it is good in both places. Knoxville use to have a wonderful zoo, one of the better ones for a city that size I would say. UT football is king in Knoxville, but Clemson isn't very far from Greenville and they also have a great tradition.

I think Greenville has more to offer overall than Knoxville, better economy, restaurants, good vision to the future, great location. Knoxville is more of a tourist town than Greenville, which is something I didn't like, but some people might. Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Smoky Mtn National Park. Both are great places and it just depends which fits you better.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:20 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,400,342 times
I think it depends on what is important - you can get to a lot of different places easily from Greenville than from Knoxville. You can expect I-40 east into the carolinas to have a few rockslides a year so it seems and get shut down.

The Knoxville zoo did not impress me, but I have not been there for a long time. I did not know Greenville even had a zoo. I don't know what the economy is like there either? [Knoxville? - the SC upstate is booming compared to much of the country]

Old 09-28-2008, 08:36 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 262,521 times
BTW, everybody does know that this site has a lot of those statistics available. Right? City Data (hint)

A quick perusal shows Greenville - Pop = 58,754, 26.1 sq. mi. Pop density = 2254/sq.mi.
Knoxville - Pop =183,546, 92.7 sq mi Pop den = 1981/sq.mi.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,841,955 times
Great stuff, guys, thank you. Believe me, I do my research so I know tons about the cities my wife and I are kicking around. I was hoping to get the attention of some folks who'd either lived in or were very familiar with Knoxville as well as Greenville.

A visit to the aforementioned cities is indeed in order to solidify which one we'd like best. We are looking for a large (not huge) city with low taxes, a milder climate, friendly residents, more conservative than where we live in Michigan, with some funs things to do and some great restaurants. We are christians who love mountains and beaches and family fun activities. This is why Knoxville and Greenville SC seem so good to us.

And while it'd be great to have a local amusement park, I notice Carowinds isn't too far away. I do like the fact you can drive to the ocean on a day trip, big advantage for Greenville. I don't see a big difference in crime rates. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again and I'll be checking in again with hopes of more input.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 AM

36 posts, read 104,577 times
i wish i knew more about knoxville to make a good comparison. i've only driven through on my way from chicago (used to live there & moved to greenville). i live in travelers rest (north of greenville) and LOVE it. i think it's the perfect distance from anywhere, really. i work in the woodruff road area, which is terribly busy to say the least, and am glad to make the 20-25 min trip back home to get away from it all. i'm in the paris mountain area, so i enjoy a scenic route when i'm headed anywhere. it's only 10 minutes to downtown & a great shopping center! by the way--it's BEAUTIFUL here during this season... you should plan a visit in October. the colors are amazing. there are lots for sale in this area if you'd consider building. my parents actually just made an offer on some land and hope to build with compass homes very soon. my dad's all about property in the mountains & having a walk-out basement, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area