Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:48 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times

Advertisements

I don't know, I'm from AL and can relate about the ignorant, racist redneck thing. Just because someone is from the south doesn't make them this way, but if you live in a particular area, there might be more people like this than one can handle. Racism as a national disease, not just in the south. Same with ignorance. It's everywhere. I can't advocate for the ignorant, racist rednecks of the world, but will say that it's a shame that some people assume that because you are southern means that you fall into this category.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Can we please separate redneck and racism?

If they were synonyms then the NAACP would have been all over Jeff Foxworthy a LONG time ago.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:06 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFiftyAboutCO View Post
The OP doesn't know anybody out here in cyberspace personally, so I hardly think his comments about redneck southern types are personal, but only generalizations. No matter what part of the country you live in, there will always be samples of people you don't like or want to live next door to. However, the south does seem to have more than its share of the NASCAR/football/beer/smoker types.

Further, naming preferences about where to live and around what type of people is not un-Christian; it's just good research -- the "look before you leap" idea.
Thats funny , i watched the news last night in Chicago and they were asking the baseball fans not to wander around the neighnorhoods around the stadium drunk .. And they seem to have a problem with the fans fighting and urinating in peoples yards..Sounds like those darn beer/smoker types lol. But now that i think about it when Earnhart won the cup i don't recall a riot and the burning of the neighborhoods ..I'll have to check with Denver on that one.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:37 PM

161 posts, read 416,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Thats funny , i watched the news last night in Chicago and they were asking the baseball fans not to wander around the neighnorhoods around the stadium drunk .. And they seem to have a problem with the fans fighting and urinating in peoples yards..Sounds like those darn beer/smoker types lol. But now that i think about it when Earnhart won the cup i don't recall a riot and the burning of the neighborhoods ..I'll have to check with Denver on that one.
I didn't see the story but I'm assuming that they were talking about people getting going out after the the game and wandering around Wrigleyville (the neighborhood around Wrigley Field). I'm a Sox fan and I hate the Cubs but what you're describing hardly sounds like a riot (I've been there and have seen it).

P.S. maybe you should live in a city before you start talking about it.

If the OP doesn't like where they live, so be it.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:23 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
I didn't see the story but I'm assuming that they were talking about people getting going out after the the game and wandering around Wrigleyville (the neighborhood around Wrigley Field). I'm a Sox fan and I hate the Cubs but what you're describing hardly sounds like a riot (I've been there and have seen it).

P.S. maybe you should live in a city before you start talking about it.

If the OP doesn't like where they live, so be it.
I am in Chicago so much i should buy land lol and the riot i was refering to was in Denver. But it does seem a hobby of sox and cubs fans to beat the snot out of each other please explain that one to me they flat out hate each other .

Old 10-05-2008, 11:19 PM

503 posts, read 937,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0777 View Post
My wife and I are from European decent, and we are leaving Texas because we are sick and tired of the hateful ignorant racist rednecks that seem to saturate this state. I can't stress enough about how tired we are with these mean hateful hicks. We consider ourselves simple people but we do have an education and would like to meet people who can talk about more that just nascar and football. The people in Texas will smile and make nice to you then talk about you as soon as your back is turned. Austin, TX is not as bad and that's because you have more educated people which make for a greater mix. We just would like to leave Texas to where it's cooler, not freezing, and can meet with genuinely nice people. My wife and I are artist, by hobby, and would like to meet other artist as well. The "most" important concern is we would like to move somewhere where we can raise our little girl where she can be safe and have a good education. Any input would be greatly appreciated. In addition, we are believers and would like to find a good church. Thanks!

Greenville sounds like your kinda place. I am a very strong believer and I love it here, cause there are so many other conservative christians. Good luck

Old 10-05-2008, 11:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
your profile is a blank. to file it in would help me so much to give you a good answer.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:45 AM

4 posts, read 10,606 times
Interesting range of input. Sadly, I still haven't heard about Greenville, SC, and that's what I was inquiring about in the first place. First off, just because I'm an artist doesn't make me liberal it just makes me love to paint. Secondly, perhaps I was a bit enthusiastic about expressing my tiredness of hate and racism, but I just don't see how us being tired of this should take issue with anyone. Look, we heard Greenville, SC was a nice place, with nice people, and good churches. We also heard it has in interest in the arts. On the other hand we have heard about the rednecks. By no means am I classifying rednecks under farmers or ranchers - these are good honest folks. What I mean by redneck is the Jerry Springer type, this is what you see alot of in DFW and is what I want to distant myself from. Look, I just wanted to hear some constructive input about Greenville, SC and I am finding out I made a mistake by even asking.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:04 AM

893 posts, read 791,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0777 View Post
Interesting range of input. Sadly, I still haven't heard about Greenville, SC, and that's what I was inquiring about in the first place. First off, just because I'm an artist doesn't make me liberal it just makes me love to paint. Secondly, perhaps I was a bit enthusiastic about expressing my tiredness of hate and racism, but I just don't see how us being tired of this should take issue with anyone. Look, we heard Greenville, SC was a nice place, with nice people, and good churches. We also heard it has in interest in the arts. On the other hand we have heard about the rednecks. By no means am I classifying rednecks under farmers or ranchers - these are good honest folks. What I mean by redneck is the Jerry Springer type, this is what you see alot of in DFW and is what I want to distant myself from. Look, I just wanted to hear some constructive input about Greenville, SC and I am finding out I made a mistake by even asking.
I lived in the south twenty four years and got transferred to CT. There are rednecks and hicks here too. It was just amazing to us. I would agree that Asheville NC may be your cup of tea. Or try Hendersonville right south of Asheville.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:31 AM

98 posts, read 253,633 times
I live in SC and I hate NASCAR. Everything to do with NASCAR! I don't watch football at all. Don't care who wins, college or pro. The only thing that I HATE is people who argue and talk too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area