Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 12:51 PM

234 posts, read 1,270,103 times

Advertisements

Hi folks;

I am asking for some advice on our upcoming vacation. We are flying from MHT to Greenville for the week of 10/25 - 11/2. with US AIR We have been looking forward to this trip for months and have everything all planned, flights, lodging, car, golf reservations, etc, etc.

However, yesterday my wife learned that her mother who has colon cancer will need an operation on 10/30 Thursday. Her mother said "go on vacation, don't worry so much , I'll be fine"--- and my wife really wants to go on vacation BUT she wants to come back on 10/29 Wednesday so she can be there for her mother on 10/30 Thursday. I offered to go back as well, but my wife said that I "really" need this vacation - it has been stressful year, anyways my wife's siblings and father will be there too.

The thing is, the Dr.s could cancel the operation because the mother-inlaw has a weak heart - nobody really knows - so everything is in a state of flux. We won't know if the operation is a go until the day before.

So - how can we make this happen. There are MANY options.

1. We both cancel and reschedule for another date. I read the fine print and it says they will allow changes but $150 charge each ticket. Will they waive this fee for circumstances like this? We only paid 210$ a ticket to begin with.

2. Buy a 1way tic for the wife from CLT to BDL and have her sister pick her up ( this is the airport closest to them) The tic is $128 today and was $108 yesterday with Delta. Do I buy it now? The docs might reschedule the operation.

3. The sister-inlaw has a bunch of FF miles with Southwest. I could drive the wife 4 hours (each way) to the closest WN airport (RDU) and she flies out of there to BDL. She could also rent a one-way car and drive herself -- but she is nervous about doing that. Can the SIL transfer her FF miles to my wife?

4. Don't worry about it and let the cards fall where they may. Have a good vacation --- don't worry be happy kind of deal.

5. do priceline or hotwire a few days before for flight.

6. We don't have insurance - never occurred to me. In retrospect it probably would of been a good idea.

7. any other suggestions?

as a side note, I have a reservation with Alamo -- now I recall that they charge large fees if we have to return early. If something really bad happens, I might have to cut my vacation short and return myself. Would Alamo be understanding. I have a National car reservation as well that I booked as a backup in June. Should I just go with them as they are a little more forgiving about early returns. It is only 50$ more for the week.

I thank you for your advice.

regards
Leggo

p.s I posted this on Travelers forum as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area