Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 AM

8 posts, read 34,719 times

Advertisements

Where have all the hot dog carts gone that used to dot Main St.? I noticed they hadn't set up in a while but didn't know they were gone until yesterday when I was in the business license office at City Hall. I overheard a couple of employees talking. It seems one has had or is having its permit revoked and another has given it up. They said a new one is coming soon but I didn't catch where.

What really caught my ear is that the new one is supposedly doing real Chicago style hot dogs. I am from Chicago and know the goodness that is a real Chicago dog from places like Portillo's, Gene and Jude's, and Superdawg. In the four years I have been in Greenville, I have had a few pathetic attempts at a Chicago dog, most recently in Spartanburg at Hillcrest Mall. Does anybody know anything about this one that's coming and, if, indeed, they are doing Chicago dogs, do you know if they are using Vienna Beef franks? I say this only 'cuz it ain't real Chicago if it ain't Vienna Beef!

Yeah, I know, first time poster, long time lurker. And NO, I'm not affiliated with the folks that are doing this new cart. If you know anyone from Chicago, our ears perk up and we pop up like prairie dogs whenever we hear the possibility of getting a real Chicago hot dog outside of the city. If you are unitiated, a Chicago style hot dog has a poppy seed bun, yellow mustard, onions, neon green relish, tomato wedges, a pickle spear, sport peppers, and, most importantly of all, a sprinkle of celery salt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:11 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
I saw them last week. I don't think they've gone anywhere.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I saw them last week. I don't think they've gone anywhere.
I walked down Main at lunch today and there was only one out. It was the one by the Greenville News. The one by Takosushi and the one across from the Hyatt were MIA.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 PM

73 posts, read 236,294 times
There is one guy near the Hyatt on Main. I was talking to him the other day about the business. On the cart it says he sells Nathans hot dogs.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:06 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artista View Post
Where have all the hot dog carts gone that used to dot Main St.? I noticed they hadn't set up in a while but didn't know they were gone until yesterday when I was in the business license office at City Hall. I overheard a couple of employees talking. It seems one has had or is having its permit revoked and another has given it up. They said a new one is coming soon but I didn't catch where.

What really caught my ear is that the new one is supposedly doing real Chicago style hot dogs. I am from Chicago and know the goodness that is a real Chicago dog from places like Portillo's, Gene and Jude's, and Superdawg. In the four years I have been in Greenville, I have had a few pathetic attempts at a Chicago dog, most recently in Spartanburg at Hillcrest Mall. Does anybody know anything about this one that's coming and, if, indeed, they are doing Chicago dogs, do you know if they are using Vienna Beef franks? I say this only 'cuz it ain't real Chicago if it ain't Vienna Beef!

Yeah, I know, first time poster, long time lurker. And NO, I'm not affiliated with the folks that are doing this new cart. If you know anyone from Chicago, our ears perk up and we pop up like prairie dogs whenever we hear the possibility of getting a real Chicago hot dog outside of the city. If you are unitiated, a Chicago style hot dog has a poppy seed bun, yellow mustard, onions, neon green relish, tomato wedges, a pickle spear, sport peppers, and, most importantly of all, a sprinkle of celery salt!
I'm originally from Chicago too, and your post made my mouth water just reading the description of a Chicago hot dog. I never liked the poppy seed bun, but oh boy, were they ever good! If I ever find such a thing around here, I'll let you know where it is.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I'm originally from Chicago too, and your post made my mouth water just reading the description of a Chicago hot dog. I never liked the poppy seed bun, but oh boy, were they ever good! If I ever find such a thing around here, I'll let you know where it is.
And if I find it before you, I will do the same. I went to Taco Dog a few weeks ago because someone told me they had authentic Chicago dogs. It wasn't even close! For starters, regular relish instead of my beloved neon green. Then they used some bland frank that anyone at Vienna Beef wouldn't give their dog. They did use French's mustard which was the only thing authentic about it. No sport peppers, tomato slices instead of wedges, mushy pickle, lettuce(???), and no celery salt. I didn't get halfway through it before I decided I would have to go homee before being duped again. I'm telling you that I will pass out if I see a Vienna Beef umbrella on main street. And if they read this - YOU BETTER GET IT RIGHT!!!!!

Update: Google is your friend! I found this a few minutes ago: http://www.gatheringguide.com/event_...ing_39157.html. I called the guy and he said that he is opening up on the corner beside Sticky Fingers on Main and should be open in the next week or two. He said that everything he sells is direct from Vienna Beef in Chicago so it looks like I'll be able to get a real taste of home in Greenville!!!!! He said he didn't know anything about the other guys staying or going and that there is enough room on Main for everybody. As much as I love Sabrett's and Nathan's, I can't wait to get some Vienna Beef. I just went to Vienna's website (www.viennabeef.com) and my mouth started watering even though I just had pizza less than an hour ago. Sorry, don't mean to go on and on about Chicago dogs, but I'm just stoked!! "Y'all" have no idea. ;-)

Last edited by Artista; 10-15-2008 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: New info.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 PM

161 posts, read 416,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artista View Post
And if I find it before you, I will do the same. I went to Taco Dog a few weeks ago because someone told me they had authentic Chicago dogs. It wasn't even close! For starters, regular relish instead of my beloved neon green. Then they used some bland frank that anyone at Vienna Beef wouldn't give their dog. They did use French's mustard which was the only thing authentic about it. No sport peppers, tomato slices instead of wedges, mushy pickle, lettuce(???), and no celery salt. I didn't get halfway through it before I decided I would have to go homee before being duped again. I'm telling you that I will pass out if I see a Vienna Beef umbrella on main street. And if they read this - YOU BETTER GET IT RIGHT!!!!!

Update: Google is your friend! I found this a few minutes ago: Thick & Thin Fountain Inn, SC - Caterer - Catering - South Carolina. I called the guy and he said that he is opening up on the corner beside Sticky Fingers on Main and should be open in the next week or two. He said that everything he sells is direct from Vienna Beef in Chicago so it looks like I'll be able to get a real taste of home in Greenville!!!!! He said he didn't know anything about the other guys staying or going and that there is enough room on Main for everybody. As much as I love Sabrett's and Nathan's, I can't wait to get some Vienna Beef. I just went to Vienna's website (www.viennabeef.com) and my mouth started watering even though I just had pizza less than an hour ago. Sorry, don't mean to go on and on about Chicago dogs, but I'm just stoked!! "Y'all" have no idea. ;-)
Wow, I'm thinking about lining up now

Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,667 times
I saw the one by The Greenville News today, and one has been setting up beside Dixie Tavern at night. (I saw it leaving work)

Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times
the one by takosushi has always been spotty, usually during the colder months you will see it set up here and there, but not everyday. They were definitely there all weekend for fall for greenville, so i'm pretty sure their permits were not revoked

Old 10-16-2008, 08:02 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times
I have never had a Chicago hot dog can you buy the stuff to make your own?
Never heard of neon green or celery salt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area