U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:02 AM

5,011 posts, read 8,555,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
Well almost every city as it grows turns more liberal, and then government sticks their nose in further and further into our busines, along with raising taxes, unions and all the other liberal stuff. All we are trying to do is keep Greenville from getting to be like that. There are plenty of other cities that would love to have lots of liberals; San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Detroit, Miami and may more. Why cant we all have to go liberal, why cant the conservatives have a place to live the way they want. I know if someone is gay that is "their business" but then we have them demanding equal marriage rights, they start voting in more liberal people into office and then Greenville is changed. It is a whole lot more than just a harmless gay person in Greenville.
You've just listed all of the reasons I live in Columbia and not in Greenville. Greenville is what it is and I admire your honesty. Why shouldn't someone know the truth before moving there? I am gay and I've lived in South Carolina most of my life. I think an earlier poster listed the fact that Greenville has 2 gay bars and 6+ gay organizations as a reason to move there. In comparison, Columbia's metro is about 10-15% bigger in population and has 7 gay bars and 25+ gay and lesbian organizations. Greenville is a beautiful city, but it isn't liberal by any stretch of the imagination. One just has to look at voting results in Greenville city and county to see quantitative evidence of that.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 AM

5,409 posts, read 9,467,607 times
No one has claimed that Greenville is liberal, in case you missed the rest of the thread. The points being made by those of us who are open to newcomers, is that Greenville is a welcome place for people from every background. Is the city changing? Absolutely yes! Is it becoming more diverse in many aspects? Absolutely yes, in a surprisingly big way. Is it as liberal as a few other growing cities in the South? No, although you can be the strongest left-wing liberal and still live happily in Greenville. There are many others already living here who believe in and live your lifestyle. I challenge everyone who is liberal and interested in moving to this region, to visit Greenville, Asheville, Columbia, and Charleston in person before making a decision where to move, unless you are being specifically relocated. This challenge can be given with great confidence that you will not be disappointed with what you find here in Greenville. One thing you will notice is that people living in and around Greenville are definitely open to new ideas if you give them time to adapt. This is one reason the city has rapidly emerged as a more cosmopolitan place.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:53 AM

8,156 posts, read 13,093,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
...you're a very simple person with backward views who does more harm then good for anyone wanting to move to this area...It has taught me to respect other's point of view and culture.
This is where I get a little confused and tend to understand why folks like guestposter24 get upset.

You say respect others views, but usually the natives in an area such as SC/NC get disrespected and called "backwards", "neaderthals", "stupid", "uneducated" etc etc. Your very post proves this.

If you preach tollerance it has to be to all and not just those you agree with.

Listen, I live in the NYC-Boston megalopolis in one of the most international small cities on the planet. I too enjoy different cultures - one of my best friends is from Oaxaca Mexico and can barely speak English, another is Bengali...I regularly hang out with my friend Lenny a recent Polish immigrant. I myself am first generation American (And I love this country to my core) with family in the "old country" I visit regularly. I understand "diversity". The good parts AND the bad parts of it. I think many are trying to prevent the "bad" that comes in the name of "diversity". That's pretty understandable IMO.

You all should cut the guy some slack. It's starting to get hypocritical.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:42 AM

161 posts, read 277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
This is where I get a little confused and tend to understand why folks like guestposter24 get upset.

You say respect others views, but usually the natives in an area such as SC/NC get disrespected and called "backwards", "neaderthals", "stupid", "uneducated" etc etc. Your very post proves this.

If you preach tollerance it has to be to all and not just those you agree with.

Listen, I live in the NYC-Boston megalopolis in one of the most international small cities on the planet. I too enjoy different cultures - one of my best friends is from Oaxaca Mexico and can barely speak English, another is Bengali...I regularly hang out with my friend Lenny a recent Polish immigrant. I myself am first generation American (And I love this country to my core) with family in the "old country" I visit regularly. I understand "diversity". The good parts AND the bad parts of it. I think many are trying to prevent the "bad" that comes in the name of "diversity". That's pretty understandable IMO.

You all should cut the guy some slack. It's starting to get hypocritical.
I understand what you are saying but this person has actively said that he doesn't want people moving here because it will change Greenville and dilute the culture. For those of us that have lived in diverse areas, this line of thinking does not make sense. I'm all about respecting people's points of view but when someone's opinon is borderline radical, I have to say something.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:21 PM

7,995 posts, read 7,053,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoguy78 View Post
Hello all,

I am considering a move to Greenville for professional reasons: I have read some of the positive and negative posts on being gay in SC, but I had some specific questions:

1. What is the cost of living, compared to other regions? I am currently in Chicago (highest sales tax in the country) and looking at a potential salary of 80,000 in SC, what is the standard of living.

2. What is the average rent in Greenville? Is there a lot of availability in a decent areas? (I don't mind living in transitioning neighborhoods).

3. Being a Single Gay man is it worth moving there socially?

4. If you have moved to SC from a major Metropolitan area, how difficult would you say the transition has been for you?
Chicagoguy78, I hope I can answer some questions honestly....if you'd like please IM me. Not much in this thread has been worth reading.

I am a 41 year gay male and my partner and I moved to Greenville after living in much larger cities....Dallas, Pitt, Atlanta, DC......we ABSOLUTELY LOVE Greenville. Our favorite city ever! We chose to move to Greenville, we didn't have to move due to jobs.

Obviously, as gay men, we can not be painted with a broad brush anymore than we can paint straight people with a broad brush. As gay men, we come in all shapes, sizes, etc and have all kinds of likes, dislikes. Greenville may or may not be for you. I will tell you, one poster on this forum from Columbia must have had a relationship go sour in Greenville because he absolutely hates the city. Maybe he wasn't cute enough to live here? (Joke).

Anyway, my partner and I are white collar profressional, together for 20 years, like the the arts, good music, good food, but most importantly good friends. We've had no trouble finding any of the above in Greenville. We've found a very large group of socially progressives in Greenville. Are there backward people here? Sure, just like any city in the South or the U.S. for that matter. I've never been called out for being gay in Greenville, I was screamed at in Columbia by redneck college students who screamed "f*g".

Socially progressives are easy to find in Greenville thanks to many reasons.......
- The numerous Europeans in the city working with the many European companies here.
- The growing tourism industry and nearby gay mecca of Asheville.
- The U.S. cycling scene that has evolved here.
- The proximity to outdoor mountain sports and holistic centers.
- The strong local arts community.
- The proximity of major metros...Atlanta and Charlotte (Lake Hartwell has become a mini Fire Island or Russian River for the Atlanta gay crowd).

If you'd like to PM, I can send you more info.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:26 PM

835 posts, read 1,545,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
I understand what you are saying but this person has actively said that he doesn't want people moving here because it will change Greenville and dilute the culture. For those of us that have lived in diverse areas, this line of thinking does not make sense. I'm all about respecting people's points of view but when someone's opinon is borderline radical, I have to say something.
How does it not make sense?

Borderline radical? You've got to be kidding. You make me sound violent or something. Haha the only thing I carry with a strap is a book bag.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 PM

835 posts, read 1,545,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I've never been called out for being gay in Greenville, I was screamed at in Columbia by redneck college students who screamed "f*g".
I hear anti-gay sentiments and slurs all the time. I would not put it past someone in Greenville to say that.

I'm sorry it happened but must you throw around the term "redneck?" I doubt you would've said that if it were black students(who are just as likely to say that as white students would be). What made them redneck?

If you don't like being called a "f*g" then please don't go around labeling people "rednecks." Hateful? Sure.

Now if they really were rednecks then it's okay to call them that.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 AM

765 posts, read 1,286,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Chicagoguy78, I hope I can answer some questions honestly....if you'd like please IM me. Not much in this thread has been worth reading.

I am a 41 year gay male and my partner and I moved to Greenville after living in much larger cities....Dallas, Pitt, Atlanta, DC......we ABSOLUTELY LOVE Greenville. Our favorite city ever! We chose to move to Greenville, we didn't have to move due to jobs.

Obviously, as gay men, we can not be painted with a broad brush anymore than we can paint straight people with a broad brush. As gay men, we come in all shapes, sizes, etc and have all kinds of likes, dislikes. Greenville may or may not be for you. I will tell you, one poster on this forum from Columbia must have had a relationship go sour in Greenville because he absolutely hates the city. Maybe he wasn't cute enough to live here? (Joke).

Anyway, my partner and I are white collar profressional, together for 20 years, like the the arts, good music, good food, but most importantly good friends. We've had no trouble finding any of the above in Greenville. We've found a very large group of socially progressives in Greenville. Are there backward people here? Sure, just like any city in the South or the U.S. for that matter. I've never been called out for being gay in Greenville, I was screamed at in Columbia by redneck college students who screamed "f*g".

Socially progressives are easy to find in Greenville thanks to many reasons.......
- The numerous Europeans in the city working with the many European companies here.
- The growing tourism industry and nearby gay mecca of Asheville.
- The U.S. cycling scene that has evolved here.
- The proximity to outdoor mountain sports and holistic centers.
- The strong local arts community.
- The proximity of major metros...Atlanta and Charlotte (Lake Hartwell has become a mini Fire Island or Russian River for the Atlanta gay crowd).

If you'd like to PM, I can send you more info.
If they were Michigan state students and they called you F#g would they still be rednecks? If not what would you call them?

Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 AM

1,941 posts, read 2,704,766 times
Any decent-sized metro area will have sizable gay communities and be accepting of gay lifestyles, and Greenville is no exception. The Greenville-Spartanburg metro area is over 1 million in population. Plenty of gay couples live here. Most seem to enjoy it, and have found others to be accepting - and at the very least, tolerant. Does everyone agree with such a lifestyle choice? Of course not, but the same can be said of New York, DC, and (gasp!) even San Francisco. A man in DC was recently beaten to death while walking to a gay bar. Does that make DC "intolerant" or "gay-unfriendly?" No.

Greenville is a conservative place, but that has nothing to do with tolerance. People in Greenville tend to be tolerant and welcoming to everyone. If they weren't, we wouldn't see so much diversity in Greenville. People who haven't visited the area (or who don't pay attention) would be shocked to see how many people of varying backgrounds and values live here. Gay couples are certainly in the minority in Greenville - just as they are everywhere - but they are most certainly accepted here as well. The post by gsupstate above is a wonderful example of that.

To the OP - please visit Greenville to check it out for yourself. I think you will really like it.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:54 PM

2,053 posts, read 3,525,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Any decent-sized metro area will have sizable gay communities and be accepting of gay lifestyles, and Greenville is no exception. The Greenville-Spartanburg metro area is over 1 million in population. Plenty of gay couples live here. Most seem to enjoy it, and have found others to be accepting - and at the very least, tolerant. Does everyone agree with such a lifestyle choice? Of course not, but the same can be said of New York, DC, and (gasp!) even San Francisco. A man in DC was recently beaten to death while walking to a gay bar. Does that make DC "intolerant" or "gay-unfriendly?" No.

Greenville is a conservative place, but that has nothing to do with tolerance. People in Greenville tend to be tolerant and welcoming to everyone. If they weren't, we wouldn't see so much diversity in Greenville. People who haven't visited the area (or who don't pay attention) would be shocked to see how many people of varying backgrounds and values live here. Gay couples are certainly in the minority in Greenville - just as they are everywhere - but they are most certainly accepted here as well. The post by gsupstate above is a wonderful example of that.

To the OP - please visit Greenville to check it out for yourself. I think you will really like it.
great post, good insight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area