Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:40 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife, son and myself will be down for the week of the 17th to visit Greenville.

Can you kind folks please tell me if any of these places are "stay away from" places.

Doing a map search etc and knowing what I already do about the area, they seemed okay, but wanted to double check.

We are just looking for a basic place to stay, this isn't really a vacation. I'm more concerned about the area more than anything. (I used to live in Charlotte but my wife has never been South...gotta make a good first impression. lol )

Thanks in advance.
La Quinta Inn Greenville Woodruff Road

Days Inn - Expo Center Roper Mountain Rd

Best Western Greenville Airport (5009 Pelham Road)

Comfort Inn - Laurens Road

Red Roof Inn Greenville - Laurens Road

Last edited by JViello; 11-09-2008 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 01:55 PM

90 posts, read 374,873 times
Default Hotel Reply

Try this website: trip advisor .com, they have real guests photos of the hotel's proprty as well as the experience they had there. Hope you find this valuable.
tcar509@hotmail.com

Old 11-09-2008, 01:59 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
The Days Inn just got a major renovation. It looks fairly nice. There's also Comfort Inn and Suites on Congaree Road which is really nice too. My personal favorites though are Homewood Suites and Drury Inn & Suites off of Woodruff Road, Hyatt Place off of Pelham Road, and Hampton Inn & Suites downtown. This link should help you in finding a good hotel OP: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g5...na-Hotels.html

Last edited by g-man430; 11-09-2008 at 02:09 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 03:51 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times
holiday inn express is a great place to stay downtown, close to everything!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:43 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Hi all, my wife, son and myself will be down for the week of the 17th to visit Greenville.

Can you kind folks please tell me if any of these places are "stay away from" places.

Doing a map search etc and knowing what I already do about the area, they seemed okay, but wanted to double check.

We are just looking for a basic place to stay, this isn't really a vacation. I'm more concerned about the area more than anything. (I used to live in Charlotte but my wife has never been South...gotta make a good first impression. lol )

Thanks in advance.
La Quinta Inn Greenville Woodruff Road

Days Inn - Expo Center Roper Mountain Rd

Best Western Greenville Airport (5009 Pelham Road)

Comfort Inn - Laurens Road

Red Roof Inn Greenville - Laurens Road

I don't consider any of these hotels to be in bad areas. I do not have any direct experience with any of them. They are all located very near the Interstate, but all should be safe areas.

The Laurens Road area is not quite as good as it used to be, and even though it is certainly not a bad area I would probably urge you to stay at one of the other three. LaQuinta Inn on Woodruff, Days Inn on Roper Mountain, or Best Western on Pelham would all be fine for your needs.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:24 PM

201 posts, read 598,827 times
We lived in Greenville for over 30 years, and just moved to Charlotte at the beginning of 2008. I pretty much agree with g-man 430's post: he listed some nice places. There are also some nice places near Pelham Road and I-85 on Parkway. I believe there's a Marriott, and maybe a Courtyard Marriott. The Embassy Suites is also in a nice area that you might like. Personally, I would not stay at the Red Roof Inn that you mentioned. If you like bed and breakfasts, there is a nice one close to downtown called Pettigru Place - it's near the historical Christ Church. It also has ratings, pix, etc. on tripadvisor.com

Old 11-10-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
The Days Inn just got a major renovation. It looks fairly nice. There's also Comfort Inn and Suites on Congaree Road which is really nice too. My personal favorites though are Homewood Suites and Drury Inn & Suites off of Woodruff Road, Hyatt Place off of Pelham Road, and Hampton Inn & Suites downtown. This link should help you in finding a good hotel OP: Greenville Hotels: Read Greenville Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor
Thank you for that info. I saw some reviews of the Days Inn complaining about construction...that would explain it. LOL

Tcar: Thank you also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I don't consider any of these hotels to be in bad areas. I do not have any direct experience with any of them. They are all located very near the Interstate, but all should be safe areas.

The Laurens Road area is not quite as good as it used to be, and even though it is certainly not a bad area I would probably urge you to stay at one of the other three. LaQuinta Inn on Woodruff, Days Inn on Roper Mountain, or Best Western on Pelham would all be fine for your needs.
Interesting - that's the "vibe" I've been getting about the Laurens Road area myself. Thank you for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
holiday inn express is a great place to stay downtown, close to everything!

That HI Express is downtown?! Oh, well I didn't realize that. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra dollars to be there then for the "atmosphere" vs being on a busy blvd. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillesc View Post
We lived in Greenville for over 30 years, and just moved to Charlotte at the beginning of 2008. I pretty much agree with g-man 430's post: he listed some nice places. There are also some nice places near Pelham Road and I-85 on Parkway. I believe there's a Marriott, and maybe a Courtyard Marriott. The Embassy Suites is also in a nice area that you might like. Personally, I would not stay at the Red Roof Inn that you mentioned. If you like bed and breakfasts, there is a nice one close to downtown called Pettigru Place - it's near the historical Christ Church. It also has ratings, pix, etc. on tripadvisor.com
I have heard the same about Red Roof, but figured I'd ask anyway...never know, this one could have been brand new.

I saw the Pettigru Place, but they do not accept children under 12. Oh well.

I should have been more specific about cost as well. As I said, we are not on vacation so if the place is "clean" and basic that's fine with us. $150.00 a night vs $55 a night makes a big difference. If I was on vacation, then yes...I'd pay extra for the waffles and having them smile more and carry my bags etc. We are traveling on a budget here to determine if we wish to head to Greenville or not.

Thank you all for your replies.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:29 PM

90 posts, read 374,873 times
Default Area Hotels

Glad you found the trip advisor website useful.
Because I work for a hotel, dont forget to ask the hotels if there is a parking fee, resort fee, or a complimentary fridge/microwave.

Also if they have an airport shuttle if you need one.

Good Luck!

tcar509

Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
We stayed at LaQuinta when we moved here 5 years ago for 1 night. We had a problem with interstate noise and some problems in the room itself. We moved to the Holiday Inn Suites down the road and stayed there for 2 weeks. Getting in/out of LaQuinta can be difficult during a good portion of the day. Holiday Inn was always on the right side of the street for us to gain easy in/out access.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:52 PM

Thanks again for all the input. Before I pull the trigger I decided to look into Simpsonville just because...I don't think there is anything there more than 2 years old in the whole town. lol

The Days Inn in Simpsonville seems like a good bargain at $60 per night including the breakfast "bar" and it seems to be close to the highway.

If anyone has input on that as well it would be appreciated.

We will be looking around Simpsonville as well, but also wanting to venture into Downtown, Greer, Travelers Rest and perhaps out to Pickens. I guess considering that, our jump off point really doesn't matter.

I looked into the Holiday Inn Express in Downtown, but they want $125 per night...by comparison the Westin Downtown was only $10 more.

I do contract work for the Holiday Inn Express up here in Hartford and talked to the Manager down in Greenville to see about a discounted rate. So far, no luck which kind of shocked me...I've never had that happen. Managers have always given a professional courtesy discount to me so long as I was servicing their respective chain. Hilton hotels regularly give me some of their best rooms in Maine for $40 a night because I service the Hilton Garden Inn here as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area