Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:31 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
There's no need to get nasty but thanks for proving my point.
I don't understand how you could take what I said as "nasty" but if it sounded that way i'm sorry

and what point was it that I proved? you asked me something about buildings and I explained what I meant, there was really no point being made that I saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 08:17 AM

166 posts, read 411,559 times
I think greenville has a lot to offer , and Im a christian . But I would be a fraid of the crime. For 50,000 people the ratings are pretty high

Old 12-06-2008, 01:52 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I don't understand how you could take what I said as "nasty" but if it sounded that way i'm sorry

and what point was it that I proved? you asked me something about buildings and I explained what I meant, there was really no point being made that I saw.
"maybe you have never experienced development or growth as a person, but many people have."

That sounded nasty to me. If it wasn't then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Doesn't exactly refute the more people=more rude aspect, does it?

In any case, us getting more stuff and people does not mean things will necessarily become better.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:02 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyL View Post
I think greenville has a lot to offer , and Im a christian . But I would be a fraid of the crime. For 50,000 people the ratings are pretty high
Its really much larger than that. The urban area is around 400,000 and msa over 600,000. The numbers are skewed.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:20 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times
Quote:
[b]
In any case, us getting more stuff and people does not mean things will necessarily become better.
No one said anything even remotely like that, every comment you make you put words into my mouth. I'm done, this is ridiculous.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:43 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
No one ever said that. Everybody on this forum knows you don't like growth. What exactly are you doing to stop it guestposter? Why are you against economic development that creates jobs and increases property values?

Old 03-14-2009, 12:11 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,716 times
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foust Family View Post
We have had the same issues in the Maryville, TN area. I think there are pockets of areas that are better than others because Knoxville is not as much like that and it is only 20 minutes away from us! I hate that you had such a bad experience, but we have had the same thing! At my previous job, there was some discrimination, so I looked for a new job in Knoxville. My husband was fired a couple weeks after the assistant manager at my job find out I was looking for a new job, my husband's manager and mine were very good friends?! I can't wait to get out of this town, but we will stay in the south, there are towns where the problems are not as prevalent.
Foust Family; this same thing happens in Nashville also. We have only been here a year and a half and are miserable. We are leaving as soon as we can.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:45 PM

548 posts, read 1,980,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Do not expect Greenville to hold a candle to anything New England especially Boston regarding topography, culture, history and international presence. Not even close. Just know that upfront before making any final decisions. I would HIGHLY recomend a visit first. The boosterism and selective pictures tossed around these forums can be very misleading as I found out the hard way.

I'll be making a post about my experience later on when I have more time. Right now I have to catch up on some work...

Yeah but we only have snow once a year and it's gone by the next day and in the 70's by the end of the week ;-) I grew up in the burbs of Boston and moved here almost 20 years ago. Wouldn't go back even though family is still there. That's not to say Boston isn't nice, I love the cape but I just can't deal with the cold anymore. In fact, it's getting too cold here of late. However I will say Greenville is comparable to any town in Massachusetts minus the awful commute. I also must say even though at one point I worked in downtown Boston I rarely went into Boston. City life isn't for me. I've probably been into downtown Boston more since I moved away even though I lived there for over 30 years. As to crime, I've never experienced it here but my house in a very small town in Massachusetts was broken into.

Yes, I recommend a visit but all my family and husband's family have loved Greenville. My only complaint is proximity to the ocean but I still get there often.

I don't find I miss anything in Boston. In my opinion, if you are a married person with a young family Greenville will fit your bill. If you are a 20 something expecting to go clubbing every weekend you might be disappointed. This is not to say artists don't visit once in a while. Recently one of my favorites Joshua Radin was in town to perform.

Also, sometimes when people say they are moving from Boston they don't necessarily mean Boston proper, they might mean the suburbs north, south and west of Boston. When people ask me where I'm from I always say Boston even though I actually never lived in the city.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,357 times
Hi Kendra my husband and I are both yankees from CT I think you will do fine here in SC. We are not very religous either. Greenville has a lot of people from all over Good luck keep me posted and I will help anyway I can

Old 03-15-2009, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,406 times
You will love Greenville - it is cosmopolitan and cultured. I lived there for 23 years, and recently (a little over a year ago) moved to Los Angeles and would much rather be in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area