Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 01:03 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,613 times

Advertisements

We had our vacation in G'ville earlier this month and it was a complete success! We're the mixed-race family if you've been reading our posts and if I was concerned about poor reception to us in the Upstate my concerns were put to rest.

Yes, our two Chinese daughters received plenty of attention but it was all good. A few folks did stare longer than one would here in SoFL but the stares were out of curiosity and not scorn and disapproval. It was clear that local residents don't often get to see a family like ours and curiosity is natural, so we weren't offended.

Wherever we went we were greeted warmly and spent lots of time chatting and enjoying the Southern hospitality that's very much alive and well in SC. It's a breath of fresh air. I honestly think that you are received the way you approach others. If you have a ready smile you will get one in return, and start things off well.

All the research I had done about the Upcountry was right on. It's prettier in person, although the many pix on this forum alone do help someone who hasn't traveled yet.

We loved the weather! One of our fellow forum members, catschmidt, was a super help during our stay, sort of a cyber welcome wagon. I'm so grateful to have connected with someone from this group. Thanks again, cat!

As for housing, we plan to move to G'ville in 2008 sometime and rent rather than buy, for 9-12 months. We saw so much and liked so much that we came away confused about what's right for us in the long run. With city, suburbs and country to choose from, it will take time exploring at a leisurely pace. Since we now live in suburbs and want to stay in our comfort zone at first, we'll probably look at Simpsonville to rent.

Our suggestion to anyone wanting to see if Greenville is going to be the right place to relocate all I can say is go and have a visit. There really is nothing like experiencing a place in person to help decide such an important step.

We plan to go back for at least one more trip before making plans to sell our house. As much fun as we all, it's something we look forward to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 01:24 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
that is so awesome to hear, cant wait to come back home with our daughter from china and home to Mt Pleasant

Old 02-22-2007, 01:57 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,237 times
I am so glad that you had a warm reception that is awesome! I am looking to relocate to one of the Carolinas I wanted to know how the schools in the are of Boiling Springs are good, and also are they good for special ed?

Old 02-22-2007, 04:32 PM

107 posts, read 520,113 times
Congratulations Carolinadreamin! Very smart decision to rent awhile and look around before buying. We should have done the same but just couldn't wait. It's all okay tho, we got a beautifl home in a wonderful area. We'll see you there!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
Hey there carolinadreamin - happy to here your vacation was a success! Wishing you all the best...and hope you and yours will love the carolinas as much as we do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
We had our vacation in G'ville earlier this month and it was a complete success! We're the mixed-race family if you've been reading our posts and if I was concerned about poor reception to us in the Upstate my concerns were put to rest.

Yes, our two Chinese daughters received plenty of attention but it was all good. A few folks did stare longer than one would here in SoFL but the stares were out of curiosity and not scorn and disapproval. It was clear that local residents don't often get to see a family like ours and curiosity is natural, so we weren't offended.

Wherever we went we were greeted warmly and spent lots of time chatting and enjoying the Southern hospitality that's very much alive and well in SC. It's a breath of fresh air. I honestly think that you are received the way you approach others. If you have a ready smile you will get one in return, and start things off well.

All the research I had done about the Upcountry was right on. It's prettier in person, although the many pix on this forum alone do help someone who hasn't traveled yet.

We loved the weather! One of our fellow forum members, catschmidt, was a super help during our stay, sort of a cyber welcome wagon. I'm so grateful to have connected with someone from this group. Thanks again, cat!

As for housing, we plan to move to G'ville in 2008 sometime and rent rather than buy, for 9-12 months. We saw so much and liked so much that we came away confused about what's right for us in the long run. With city, suburbs and country to choose from, it will take time exploring at a leisurely pace. Since we now live in suburbs and want to stay in our comfort zone at first, we'll probably look at Simpsonville to rent.

Our suggestion to anyone wanting to see if Greenville is going to be the right place to relocate all I can say is go and have a visit. There really is nothing like experiencing a place in person to help decide such an important step.

We plan to go back for at least one more trip before making plans to sell our house. As much fun as we all, it's something we look forward to!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:35 AM

90 posts, read 443,223 times
Hope to see you guys soon!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
Hooray! I'm glad it went well! As I'd said earlier, we only encountered a few sour *****s with harsh glares directed at Mo (and oddly extreme...social issues there). Judging by the manner of dress, this was the 'upper crust' or the climbers on their way.
You are correct - give out a warmth and it usually comes back around. The rest of Greenville was kind, if reserved - especially the older, more countrified folk; those I thought might have a problem with our blending were the most hospitable.

Carolina Jack - you're adopting? BTDT. Welcome aboard! It's a looong ride. Hang in there.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:07 PM

65 posts, read 193,007 times
Default Boiling Springs Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I am so glad that you had a warm reception that is awesome! I am looking to relocate to one of the Carolinas I wanted to know how the schools in the are of Boiling Springs are good, and also are they good for special ed?
Hi,

From what I have looked in to and from friends moving to Boiling Springs, I have heard very positive things about the Boiling Springs Schools, however for more info you may want to start a thread labeled such and then hopefully you will receive alot of responses. I am in the process of moving down there as well, I can't wait

Old 02-23-2007, 04:52 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,613 times
Smile Upper crust-y older gals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Hooray! I'm glad it went well! As I'd said earlier, we only encountered a few sour *****s with harsh glares directed at Mo (and oddly extreme...social issues there). Judging by the manner of dress, this was the 'upper crust' or the climbers on their way.
You are correct - give out a warmth and it usually comes back around. The rest of Greenville was kind, if reserved - especially the older, more countrified folk; those I thought might have a problem with our blending were the most hospitable.

Carolina Jack - you're adopting? BTDT. Welcome aboard! It's a looong ride. Hang in there.
We actually had our own version of the older upper crust gals at our hotel. They were coming for a tea or card game and did or said nothing to us at a neighboring table but had the appearance of zoning us out entirely which seemed at the time like trying to zone out a brick wall right in front of you. lol
That was the only even so-so moment for us in G'ville, and in a way I felt that any number of odd sightings besides Asian kids with a Caucasian couple would get the same reaction, or shall I say non-reaction.
This kind of "reserved" approach didn't bother us because it beats the alternative unwelcome remark, and apparently these gals practice the "if you can't say something nice" principle of etiquette.
Re: carolinajack, I think he meant that he has a Chinese daughter now and will be returning to his hometwon of Mt. Pleasant with her from points elsewhere.
I'll let him clarify if that's incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area