U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:20 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,672,212 times

Advertisements

Even though Im from PA I desire to be a Southerner. Im all about old Country, old school Mid Atlantic Wrestling, and collard greens. I am pretty good with a Southern accent too. I will disavoy my Yankeeisms once I settle down there. My oh my!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 12:28 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,144,125 times
Default No fake accents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Even though Im from PA I desire to be a Southerner. Im all about old Country, old school Mid Atlantic Wrestling, and collard greens. I am pretty good with a Southern accent too. I will disavoy my Yankeeisms once I settle down there. My oh my!
Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT imitate our accents.
It really, really makes me angry when I hear some bozo from NYC or some other northern area trying to mimick my accent.
You can't do it, no matter how well you think you can.Its something you're born with, and you'll be spotted as a fake.
Imitating it is insulting, will only make you look like an idiot, and you'll find yourself isolated by the natives very quickly.

Stick with your own.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 PM

909 posts, read 2,152,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Its something you're born with, and you'll be spotted as a fake.
Last time I checked, accents weren't innate.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:30 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,672,212 times
I will not do it but I have been told by many Im good.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:00 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,144,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Last time I checked, accents weren't innate.
No, but its difficult to pick up completely on the native accent of someone else when your own speech patterns are formed growing up in another region.
Regardless of where you live upon adulthood, there will always be something in your native speech that may clue others in to where you are from.

That, and I have an ear that picks up accents very easily. Are you originally from Greenville?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:08 PM

4,296 posts, read 6,271,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT imitate our accents.
It really, really makes me angry when I hear some bozo from NYC or some other northern area trying to mimick my accent.
You can't do it, no matter how well you think you can.Its something you're born with, and you'll be spotted as a fake.
Imitating it is insulting, will only make you look like an idiot, and you'll find yourself isolated by the natives very quickly.

Stick with your own.
I agree. Being caught up in a lie (well accent, same difference) is just as bad as mockery. Be proud of where you are, your accent is a prime characteristic and should not be replaced with a phony.

Trust me, spend enough years in the South and you'll pick it up naturally

Old 11-14-2008, 12:52 PM

617 posts, read 2,356,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Trust me, spend enough years in the South and you'll pick it up naturally
Exactly what I was going to say.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 10,918 times
Default The South shall rise again.

If your aspiration in life is to be Jed Clampett---goodluck....
Better get used to eating grandma's posum....

Old 11-14-2008, 03:25 PM

765 posts, read 1,715,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beantown56 View Post
If your aspiration in life is to be Jed Clampett---goodluck....
Better get used to eating grandma's posum....
It's spelled possum get it right,

Old 11-14-2008, 03:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
It's spelled possum get it right,
actually possum are found in Austraila the correct spelling for critters found in this area opossum.
Once you run over a few and get that smell out of your car your home in the south is made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area