Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:12 AM

4,404 posts, read 9,086,385 times

Advertisements

SInce my miniature stroke I have become very health conscious and avoid fried foods. What good down home Southern foods are not fried? If I visit a barbecue shack or some down home buffet style restaurant what are my options and what should I avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 09:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,597,003 times
I would avoid southern meat-and-threes altogether, as well as BBQ joints. If it isn't greasy, it probably has a lot of sodium or sugar. Even stuff like green beans and collard greens are unhealthy at most resturants, because they soak them in chicken stock, and often season with ranch dressing.

Southern food can be fresh and healthy - stick with fruits, vegetables, and grains. Stuff like sliced tomatoes, cantelope, okra, corn on the cob, raw sweet onions, salads, unsalted boiled peanuts, brown rice, maybe some chicken bog, catfish stew, boiled shrimp, flounder, quail, red beans & rice, grits, unsweet tea.. just some ideas.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:41 AM

765 posts, read 1,902,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I would avoid southern meat-and-threes altogether, as well as BBQ joints. If it isn't greasy, it probably has a lot of sodium or sugar. Even stuff like green beans and collard greens are unhealthy at most resturants, because they soak them in chicken stock, and often season with ranch dressing.

Southern food can be fresh and healthy - stick with fruits, vegetables, and grains. Stuff like sliced tomatoes, cantelope, okra, corn on the cob, raw sweet onions, salads, unsalted boiled peanuts, brown rice, maybe some chicken bog, catfish stew, boiled shrimp, flounder, quail, red beans & rice, grits, unsweet tea.. just some ideas.
Nobody ever flavors collards with ranch that is just silly. and you never use chicken stock either usually hog jawls or ham hocks for flavor . unsalted boiled peanuts???? lol are you serious??. unsweet tea?????LMAO... Do you even know whats in a chicken bog?? though most of the bbq joints serve pork the chicken is usually ok.. And brown rice again LOL... Just eat in moderation and don't eat it every day and i don't think our food will kill you...

Old 11-14-2008, 10:00 AM

470 posts, read 1,836,496 times
Quote:
Even stuff like green beans and collard greens are unhealthy at most resturants, because they soak them in chicken stock, and often season with ranch dressing.

no offense, but where in the heck do you eat?!? ewww. . .collards seasoned w/ ranch dressing?!? is there some new movement in the food world that we haven't been told about? that's just wrong on so many levels.

and last time i checked collards are usually cooked with pork fat/parts. in a pinch, i'll use bacon grease if i don't have any ham hocks and such.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Nobody ever flavors collards with ranch that is just silly.
Tell that to my grandmothers. Ranch dressing is commonly used today in southern veggies; spinach, collards, turnip greens, etc., and consistency-wise it isn't much different than butter.

I have a variety of South Carolina church cookbooks from the 1960's and 1970's, bequeathed to me by relatives, and they do call for buttermilk or sour cream in veggies - today, ranch dressing often takes the place of that.

Quote:
and you never use chicken stock either usually hog jawls or ham hocks for flavor .
I find your mock outrage funny, like there's some dusty tome of "The Rules" out there that says you can only use pork fat or pork stock. Southern food is traditionally built around using what ingredients you have. Pork is the most common, but you can cook veggies with chicken, pork, or beef - and actually, the preferred way to cook them in resturants i've seen is to use a blend of more than one. Regardless, you'll get plenty of sodium, and that is the point.

Quote:
unsalted boiled peanuts???? lol are you serious??
Yep, my uncle cooked some this weekend. We sat on the porch and ate a whole bag of them.

Quote:
. unsweet tea?????LMAO...
You've never seen unsweetened tea, served at almost every southern restaurant and church supper in South Carolina? Seriously?

You've never had a waitress ask, "Sweet or unsweet?"

Quote:
Do you even know whats in a chicken bog??
Yep. Chicken, rice, and whatever else you like. I like onions, celery, a little bit of butter. Some people like cream of mushroom soup in theirs. Some people like bacon, or sausage.

Last edited by le roi; 11-14-2008 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-14-2008, 01:33 PM

765 posts, read 1,902,783 times
Quote:
Tell that to my grandmothers. Ranch dressing is commonly used today in southern veggies; spinach, collards, turnip greens, etc., and consistency-wise it isn't much different than butter.

I have a variety of South Carolina church cookbooks from the 1960's and 1970's, bequeathed to me by relatives, and they do call for buttermilk or sour cream in veggies - today, ranch dressing often takes the place of that.

I find your mock outrage funny, like there's some dusty tome of "The Rules" out there that says you can only use pork fat or pork stock. Southern food is traditionally built around using what ingredients you have. Pork is the most common, but you can cook veggies with chicken, pork, or beef - and actually, the preferred way to cook them in resturants i've seen is to use a blend of more than one. Regardless, you'll get plenty of sodium, and that is the point.

Yep, my uncle cooked some this weekend. We sat on the porch and ate a whole bag of them.

You've never seen unsweetened tea, served at almost every southern restaurant and church supper in South Carolina? Seriously?

You've never had a waitress ask, "Sweet or unsweet?"

Yep. Chicken, rice, and whatever else you like. I like onions, celery, a little bit of butter. Some people like cream of mushroom soup in theirs. Some people like bacon, or sausage.
lol you gave me the best laugh i have had in a while ... what next blue cheese in cornbread... thousand island in turnips...LMAO.. The best of all beef in greens come on now.. unless its corned beef and cabbage.... BTW there is a dusty tome great grandma to my grandma to mom to me to my wife and we are all a bit dusty..

Old 11-14-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
... what next blue cheese in cornbread...

Nope, you put sour cream in cornbread.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:25 PM

606 posts, read 1,393,835 times
Once I was making cream of broccoli soup and I accidentally cooked and added frozen collard greens instead of the broccoli...we decided that it was Southern Gourmet.
Aside fromt he fresh vegetables and fruits, I can't think of any good down-home southern cooking that doesn't involve pork fat and/or sugar, etc.
I have cooked collard greens using olive oil, a pinch of splenda and smoked turkey bacon instead of country ham or ham hocks, and it was pretty good. Still not the same as bacon drippings and the likes.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:59 PM

69 posts, read 274,120 times
This is all really funny! I'm no cook, so I can't speak to the rest...but iced tea should always be sweet enough to pour over Flap Jacks!

Now, to answer the question, I can't think of much that's not fried or cooked with enough grease that it might as well be! My mom used to fry cabbage...just cabbage cooked in a skillet with oil and salt/pepper. rubber_factory is right though, you've got have a slice of cantaloupe or a slice of tomato with your meal.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:11 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,726,705 times
There is no such thing as good southern food that is not fried. If it is not fried, it's not southern. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area