Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:27 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times

Advertisements

It's sort of like when a train going over 100mph hits a small car sitting on the tracks: Account Suspended

BOOM goes the dynamite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 987 times
I was a player during those time and I can understand how everyone feels. Being apart of it was crazy but I will say we had great players and a damn good team just bad people in the office running it. The Greenville force was a fun season.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:05 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Wow.. yeah.. The first year, when it was the South Carolina Force.. The first game was a CF.. But they really started pulling it together after that. I went to every game the first year, it was fun and enjoyable.. Disappointing the number of fans that were there.. We always said how if they advertised just a bit they might pull some people.

They changed the QB after the first game, which was the best decision, and changed the kicker midway through the season.. Guy who was a kicker at Gardner-Webb, I think and was working at the YMCA in Laurens.

The second year.. Wow.. What a mess. When they changed to the Greenville Force and went to the SIFL.. I went to the first game and that was it.

The Carolina Rhinos.. I was at every game the first season.. Shorty Pullen was an amazing player they had.. Something like 5'6" wide receiver.. I was surprised they folded. They always seemed to pull decent numbers.. I always thought they wanted to do the NBA-D team and couldn't do both.. The D-League team disappeared after a year.

Indoor Football is a great game.. I think the area could support a team.. 6 to 8 games per season.. Perhaps played on something other than Friday/Saturday nights.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:59 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
I hate to say Greenville has not had much success with indoor football.

The Carolina Rhinos (AF2) were the most successful of the three clubs that have played at Bon Secours Wellness Arena. It lasted for three seasons before dissolving after the 2002 season. I should note the league expanded very quickly, and had many teams that dissolved quickly.

The Greenville Riverhawks (National Indoor Football League) were a fly-by-night team in the 2004 season. They never played a game at Bon Secours Wellness Arena, and lost all four games in the season.

The Greenville Force, as the South Carolina Force, went 7-7 in the American Indoor Football Association 2009 season. It switched to the Southern Indoor Football League for the 2010 season. The team had many issues during the season that led to its demise. First, it had a revolving door of many players departing or arriving on the team each week. Second, it went 2-8 with its 11th and final game of the season cancelled. Many losses were blowouts.

An indoor football team would do well with an ownership that is active and committed, a front office that is active, accountable, knowledgeable and functional, and good players and coaches that win games.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:16 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
An indoor football team would do well with an ownership that is active and committed, a front office that is active, accountable, knowledgeable and functional, and good players and coaches that win games.
I dont know. How many times really could anyone do this, and would want to do this. If another team was founded, it'd be try #4. It's just not gonna happen.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:56 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
The problem with the second season was that the owner was a crook.

He didn't pay players.. and I think right before they 'cancelled' the final game, he was arrested on credit card fraud charges.

In fact.. Court records show a civil judgement against him, a bad check charge that he was supposed to pay $270 restitution on that he failed to comply with.. Another he was supposed to pay restitution on of $180.. A third with restitution of $80.. Criminally receiving goods charge which was dismissed for insufficient evidence.. And Brookwood Apartments sued him for not paying the rent.. Likely of the players.

Also Tri-Cities arenafootball2 coach arrested - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com.. That was in 2007.. So, someone should have picked up on that before he came here to own a team.

The Rhinos the first year had a hell of an advertising campaign, and did good numbers.. Remember the radio ads "Carolina Rhinos comin' to the Bi-Lo".. But that seemed to end after the first season. They were pulling 12k fans the first season.. 5k the last.

I think it can work, but any owner needs to have pockets to build it, and be willing to build it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area