Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 04:08 PM

470 posts, read 593,359 times

Advertisements

Yes I use open DNS also. OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet just click on Start using it now (it's free)

I am not a charter fan but honestly I have had nearly no issues with my internet service.

I hope you get this thing figured out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 04:14 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,817,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
Yes I use open DNS also. OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet just click on Start using it now (it's free)

I am not a charter fan but honestly I have had nearly no issues with my internet service.

I hope you get this thing figured out.
I tried that a while back, made no difference in my speed, has it been thoroughly tested before and after by anyone?? just curious

Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 AM

140 posts, read 357,503 times
Nancy, have you gotten things straightened out with your speed? Just curiously, have you had a problem with service going out for periods of time or just the speed? I don't need super speed but I do need consistency. I've actually crossed several homes off the prospective list because they only have Charter and don't have BellSouth DSL.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,817,853 times
Nancy, I was just thinking about this as I was reading study's post. Have they tried to boost your signal in any way? when my cable/phone/internet was installed they actually added some sort of booster(looks like a regular ac adapter, but you run your coax cable into it) because I am the last house on my street and there was only one line running here. I have never had any uninterrupted service or slow speed(it runs about 5m, but I pay for 3m)

Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,513,084 times
My service is presently running now about 5-6M but my upload speed is about 1.2 which is very good for upload so I am willing to pay the 10M price.

It really slows down after the kids get out of school to around 1-2M and is not so hot during most of the evening.

They have not mentioned anything about boosting the gain? They did test my signal and it was good by their logic. The one guy said my processor [1.2 GHZ clock speed] is too slow........] And that stuff on my quick launch bar would slow me down but I am not so sure of that - my typicall performance cycles between 2 and 20% resource usage and about 1/4 memory usage.

The system was completely out this am - until around noon!

Old 12-19-2008, 03:46 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,434,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Here in Mauldin too. They said the outage was related to the slow speeds the last few days. Check out dslreports dot com.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 AM

227 posts, read 792,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
My service is presently running now about 5-6M but my upload speed is about 1.2 which is very good for upload so I am willing to pay the 10M price.

It really slows down after the kids get out of school to around 1-2M and is not so hot during most of the evening.

They have not mentioned anything about boosting the gain? They did test my signal and it was good by their logic. The one guy said my processor [1.2 GHZ clock speed] is too slow........] And that stuff on my quick launch bar would slow me down but I am not so sure of that - my typicall performance cycles between 2 and 20% resource usage and about 1/4 memory usage.

Some of the Charter personnel are noobs. Ya see, clock speed doesn't make much difference, quick launch items are no different than the icons on your desktop, it depends on what they are and how much usage when running. Also, what's your processor?
What's your total RAM for your computer?
Have you gotten rid of all spyware and adware with free programs such as AVG and Spybot?

Sometimes Charter's speeds get slowed down but we have 6M and we get it most of the time and we're in a rural spot.

So those are just some suggestions for you.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 AM

548 posts, read 1,974,481 times
Open DNS doesn't help with speed. What it does help with is DNS issues if your provider constantly has them, that is you get page not found a lot. The slow during school out is a problem with cable, especially in areas where there are lots of houses and only one choice for high speed internet. They (Charter) need to upgrade your node; however, given no competition ....

The speed of your processor isn't the issue since your getting a good speed (although not as promised) during the day but terrible when the kiddies come home from school (and people come home from work). During Christmas break you'll probably see these diminished speeds during the day. Have them come out then.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
Some of the Charter personnel are noobs. Ya see, clock speed doesn't make much difference, quick launch items are no different than the icons on your desktop, it depends on what they are and how much usage when running. Also, what's your processor?
What's your total RAM for your computer?
Have you gotten rid of all spyware and adware with free programs such as AVG and Spybot?

Sometimes Charter's speeds get slowed down but we have 6M and we get it most of the time and we're in a rural spot.

So those are just some suggestions for you.
Actually there are limitations to what I can and cannot do in terms of programs - I do know watchdog is on there but that is company - my personal computers are older than my work computer. .............

Total RAM for the computer is 1 Gig.

One thing my company did do [comptuer is 2 years old] is reimage them from XP to Win 2000. - They are finally letting new computers come through with Win XP left on. [yes........no comment.......I actually prefere the 2000 but that is what I am used to since XP is ony an ocassional thing ... it seems each generationof software is more automatic ...... kind of like switching from a gear shift car to an automatic]

I imagine the heavy duty scanning SW does a pretty good job of getting rid of spybots and adware and I don't do a lot of web surfing other than a few known sites on this computer.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:29 AM

Oh what kind of upload speeds are people getting?

I AM in a populated area - interesting comment about the node ---- learning a lot.

Documenting all these speeds a few times a day. speetest lest you download them in a csv file for ammunition. Funny, we had a monopoly where we lived before and got excellent service - same day on service calls! People who really knew what they were doing. ............ when I first called charter about having them set up my wireless system, they did not know what VPN was [YIKES!] and I know that not all routers have VPN passthrough. So I bought my own router [and modem since I realized whatever was on the truck my not be as good as what I could buy] --- anyway - setting up the wireless on my own was a piece of cake. [though most the time I run on the cable - wireless just for when it gets warm outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area