Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:03 PM

249 posts, read 514,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
....................But one thing to consider is the fact that since our government pays for our health care, I think they have a right to dictate a no smoking ban where they wish. We have doctors who will refuse to treat patients who continue to smoke after one warning, we have a doctor shortage and they prefer treating patients that want to help themselves stay healthy.
We are now in the process of banning smoking in homes or cars if you have children ...or you chance losing your children.

The Gov't pays for your health care? You must be retired and on medicare/medicaid. I pay for my own medical and I don't need the Gov't telling me what I can or can't do. Also, since when do doctors prefer treating non smokers over smokers? You have some sort of stat/survey to back that up? Hell, I would think smokers give them better business !
Now you want to ban smoking to save the children? Guess it's the same people that banned "spanking".....no wonder kids today lack any kind of respect for elders and people of "authority".

BTW, i'm a non smoker (never smoked) and think the habit is quite disgusting. I don't agree with all the hoopla about smokers however. If you want to kill yourself with cancer, by all means, knock yourself out. I just think setting regulations is rediculous. If I don't like the smoke, I simply stay away from those type of enviorments. There's no need for all these silly laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:10 AM

8 posts, read 21,586 times
It is great that gov became ban smoking in restourants. There is a chance that next generation will be more healthy.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:11 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,457 times
Some parts of the country only HAVE restaurants that allow smoking. It's not so easy to just "stay away" from them. These "silly laws" are needed because many business owners lack the common sense and intelligence to realize that a non smoking atmosphere is actually healthy and will attract MORE customers. The smokers are basically slobs anyway, throwing their butts out in the street and out of their car windows. I would not want to target my business towards them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
The Gov't pays for your health care? You must be retired and on medicare/medicaid. I pay for my own medical and I don't need the Gov't telling me what I can or can't do. Also, since when do doctors prefer treating non smokers over smokers? You have some sort of stat/survey to back that up? Hell, I would think smokers give them better business !
Now you want to ban smoking to save the children? Guess it's the same people that banned "spanking".....no wonder kids today lack any kind of respect for elders and people of "authority".

BTW, i'm a non smoker (never smoked) and think the habit is quite disgusting. I don't agree with all the hoopla about smokers however. If you want to kill yourself with cancer, by all means, knock yourself out. I just think setting regulations is rediculous. If I don't like the smoke, I simply stay away from those type of enviorments. There's no need for all these silly laws.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:40 AM

365 posts, read 1,009,903 times
I'm not going to get into the middle of what the government should/shouldn't have a right to do regarding smoking in public, but what I am going to do is state that coming from a city that has banned smoking, looking for a retirement spot that hasn't, does make a difference to me! Once you've gotten used to living somewhere that has a smoking ban, it's appreciated, at least by me! Visited one relocation possibility in Ky. that didn't have a smoking ban, then Greenville(one that does). I came to appreciate that as an example in GV, I could go bowling w/o the concern of smelling the stinky smoke, where I wouldn't be able to in that city in Ky. There was no option to choose a different bowling establishment to bowl at. So, my choices would be... don't bowl, or bowl & put up with the smoke. I don't really consider that reasonable options.
So, GV does get the nod for the no smoking ban in their city. Now, I guess I should also consider the surrounding cities situation regarding smoking. However, at least I do have the option of doing my business in GV rather then the surrounding cities, if I were to move there.
If GV has gone smoke free, it just seems to make sense that the surrounding cities would also. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area