Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 PM

8 posts, read 19,434 times

Advertisements

So I have a few questions I wanted to ask I have been reading on here for about a year or so and thought I would finaly ask a few questions .
1 I am coming to take a look at the area around feb. 8th I was wondering what there is to do with the kids such as the Zoo and ect?
2. Every city has a bad area of town where is this area in the greenville area ?
3. Is there a Asian population in the area such as asian stores and such .
4. What is one thing you think every person visting the area needs to do .
I am sure I will think of more questions in the future. Thank you in advance .
Knudson's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 03:07 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,573 times
The only Asian store I have heard of is Oriental Imports and a lot of restaurants.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:28 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,784,346 times
1. The Children's Museum won't be open yet so the zoo, Heritage Green, and state parks would be nice. Maybe even GattiTown or Frankies Fun Park. Be aware that Frankies is currently closed due to renovation and might not be open when you visit.
2. West of downtown and east of White Horse Road.
3. Yes, but don't expect anything like Chinatown.
4. Visit downtown and especially Falls Park.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM

462 posts, read 968,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
1. The Children's Museum won't be open yet so the zoo, Heritage Green, and state parks would be nice. Maybe even GattiTown or Frankies Fun Park. Be aware that Frankies is currently closed due to renovation and might not be open when you visit.
2. West of downtown and east of White Horse Road.
3. Yes, but don't expect anything like Chinatown.
4. Visit downtown and especially Falls Park.
Great answers... my thoughts exactly! Falls park is beautiful!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM

177 posts, read 685,627 times
If you mean Asian grocery stores, we have shopped at two on Wade Hampton Blvd. One is close to Bob Jones University, probably around 1500 Wade Hampton Blvd. The other one is toward Greer, and is located at the intersection of Wade Hampton and Edwards Mill Road.

The one toward Greer is run by Vietnamese but they also have other Asian groceries and items. We used to buy Thai Red Cargo rice there for 3 or 4 years. Now we buy brown organic rice at Walmart.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:41 AM

137 posts, read 396,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knudson's View Post
So I have a few questions I wanted to ask I have been reading on here for about a year or so and thought I would finaly ask a few questions .
1 I am coming to take a look at the area around feb. 8th I was wondering what there is to do with the kids such as the Zoo and ect?
2. Every city has a bad area of town where is this area in the greenville area ?
3. Is there a Asian population in the area such as asian stores and such .
4. What is one thing you think every person visting the area needs to do .
I am sure I will think of more questions in the future. Thank you in advance .
Knudson's
1. I moved to Greenville a year ago and two things especially impressed me: the hospital system (nice looking buildings and campuses - don't know about the service) and the city money dedicated to improving the parks and public places like Main Street. Greenville parks all seem to have playground equipment that has been replaced within the last 2 years. Cleveland Park downtown has equipment which was all replaced and expanded just last year, plus lots of bike riding paths. McPherson park downtown has free miniature golf. Yes, free but bring your own club & ball. If kids are older, they would enjoy downtown excursions during the warmer months (February produces a few good walking day though!). People (other kids) watching is great plus lots of free outside entertainment. Go with them, even if you trust them and think they are "old enough". You'll enjoy it, plus excessive amounts of unsupervised teens are frowned on just about everywhere. Speaking of downtown, children ages 5-10 would enjoy the "Mice on Main" search for 9 life-size cast bronze statues of mice hidden right on Main Street. Here's a link to more on that, plus other information about what to do in Greenville:

Mice on Main

3. One market spoken of by dlhanson is actually called "Asian Market"! at 3245 Wade Hampton Blvd. There is definitely an Asian population, mostly integrated geographically as are populations of specific nationalities. Greenville doesn't have the old-northern-city "districts" of nationalities.

4. With moonpie and g-man I agree. Walk Main Street downtown from the Hyatt (corner Main and Beattie) Southwest to the bridge crossing the Reedy River, taking a detour down one of several sets of steps near that bridge to enjoy the falls there and the rest of Falls Park. The actual direction you walk doesn't matter unless you have kids that would enjoy searching for the mice. Then you should start at the fountain at the Hyatt.

Enjoy!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 AM

What is the nicest apartment complex in the greenville , simpsonville area ?
What is a nice hotel with a great location for our vist ?

Thank you guys for your answers up to this point.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,784,346 times
I don't know about the nicest but the one I prefer is McBee Station which is located downtown. It has apartments with secured gated parking in a garage and is located right next door to Publix, Staples, and other shops/restaurants. Check it out: McBee Station

Hampton Inn & Suites, Hyatt Regency, Westin Poinsett, or Holiday Inn Express which are located downtown
Hilton or Hyatt Place which are located at Haywood Road and I-385
Drury Inn & Suites, Springhill Suites, or Homewood Suites which are located at Woodruff Road and I-85.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Do you have any other ideas for apartments besides the Mcbee . I was turned off by the price per square ft .
I am also looking around simpsonville area how do you feel about the area ?
Knudsons

Old 01-17-2009, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,520 times
Simpsonville is very nice. It is close to Greenville, I-85 and has all of the daily shopping needs without going very far. If you would consider a nice 3br house, we have one in Hunters Wood subdivision that we decided to rent since it has not sold. I would be glad email you pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area