Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 PM

208 posts, read 633,560 times

Advertisements

As we all have probably heard, Circuit City is liquidating all of its stores and merchandise, and there are 2 stores in Greenville, one on Woodruff and the other on Haywood Rd. Any ideas what should go in these spaces?

The shopping center at the Point already has a few empty spaces I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,740 times
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Sucks, that's where I bought my laptop (I love it!) during the 4th of July sale last year.
To tell you the truth, CC wasn't all that different from Best Buy, but a little less competition from CC isn't good at all! Not at all...

I'm not sure what will be going on those empty spaces you mention. However I do agree that the more commerce the better for Greenville.
How about a farmer's market??

Old 01-19-2009, 01:24 PM

73 posts, read 236,224 times
I wonder when the stores are actually closing. There might be some good deals to be found near their finals days. Apparently CC hasnt found a buyer, so they are just going to close down and liquidate all merchandise, displays, pretty much everything.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs3488 View Post
I wonder when the stores are actually closing. There might be some good deals to be found near their finals days. Apparently CC hasnt found a buyer, so they are just going to close down and liquidate all merchandise, displays, pretty much everything.
they will close 30 days from monday I think

Old 01-20-2009, 11:21 AM

915 posts, read 2,423,466 times
I personally don't mind if some of these big box stores close their doors. Honestly, who needs a Circuit City within a mile or so from every Best Buy? A Linens 'N' Things close to every Bed, Bath, and Beyond? Next up: Lowe's or Home Depot?

Seriously though, I understand that it's putting people out of work, but I sincerely hope it helps the smaller local/regional stores survive (i.e. Jeff Lynch).

We should feel fortunate to live in the area we do. Name another market where Lowe's could move 2 miles down the road, and the vacant building is immediately taken over by Jeff Lynch. Or a huge space like BJ's shuts its doors, and before the ink was dry, Academy Sports announces immediate plans to revamp the location!

I'm sure there are some markets, but not many.

------------

PS - There are almost no deals to be had at Circuit City right now. I can't believe they're not even selling floor models yet.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:07 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly_pan2006 View Post
I'm not sure what will be going on those empty spaces you mention. However I do agree that the more commerce the better for Greenville.
How about a farmer's market??
Lease rates for new, high end retail space are way too high for farmers' markets to afford.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Lease rates for new, high end retail space are way too high for farmers' markets to afford.
Not in today's economy.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM

915 posts, read 2,423,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Not in today's economy.
Specifically to g-man's comment, here are some quick facts about the Greenville commercial market:

Industrial Vacancy declined for 12 consecutive quarters until a slight increase in 3rd quarter 2008.

Office space vacancy rates dropped in 2006, 2007, and 2008, but availability of office space rose in 2008.

Retail occupancy actually grew in 2008.

"Indicative of the still viable market is the announcement of a new development anchored by Academy Sports on the BJ’s Wholesale Club site on Woodruff Road." - Grubb & Ellis

Greenville has consistently ranked high in Expansion Management Magazine's 40 best real estate markets for the past 6 years. The magazine is geared toward executives responsible for corporate site location.

- Cameron Keegan

Sources:
http://www.grubb-ellis.com/PDF/metro...greenville.pdf
Grubb & Ellis | 2009 Real Estate Forecast
Expansion Management Online

Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 AM

208 posts, read 633,560 times
I TOTALLY agree, ckeegan. The 'big box' think was getting a little extreme, everywhere. Do we need OfficeMax, Office Depot, AND Staples all pretty much around eachother??? Dick's, Sports Authority?? 2 Petsmarts and Barnes and Nobles so close?? I don't want more jobs lost, but that is a lot for just office supplies and other businesses. It's nice to have national stores that will provide lower prices, but we don't need so much.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 841 times
The location on Woods Crossing has become a Michaels. I'm trying to determine which space at 1140 Woodruff Rd used to house Circuit City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area