Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times

Advertisements

I am not an advocate of dog parks because you never know what you will encounter and one bad experience during puppyhood can do a heck of a lot of long term emotional damage to a puppy leading to fear agression towards other dogs down the road. If dogs had to be prescreened before they went, it would be another story.

Finding folks with puppies at a class and arranging play dates with similarly sized puppies and older well behaved dogs you have observed to be safe is an excellent idea. Cute puppy.

Ian Dunbar stuff is excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:49 AM

503 posts, read 937,151 times
Colby is so darn cute, good choice. When he gets a little older and wants to run. We take our to labs to the Northside Park in Northern Greenville. Nobody is ever there during the weekdays and he could run for hours.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM

92 posts, read 314,293 times
Thanks so much for the info! Beginning to think that he's getting a little spoiled...between the 4 of us he's never alone except for after 10pm...he's doing great with his crate, though. Now if we could just get him to sleep through the night! I know that we have to get him on some kind of schedule, though. Find myself arranging my day around his naps! Feel as though I have a baby in the house again...

Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 AM

915 posts, read 2,423,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcfarlane View Post
Now if we could just get him to sleep through the night!
Yeah, my 2 year old sleeps through the night on occassion....oh, you're talking about dogs!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:06 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Life with a puppy - you will more fun when his baby teeth fall out and adult teeth start coming in. You can start now with having "HIS" chew toys and getting him used to only chewing on them.

Biggest mistake I have seen when the dog gets out of the puppy stage and does not have a lot of endurance is EXCERCISE. Tired dog is a good dog. But you don't want to do too much with a puppy because you can hurt the joints [don't do long walks, run the dog outside of free play, or let him jump] - depending on size/breed you really dont want to stress the joints until the growth plates close.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:26 PM

108 posts, read 371,724 times
Info on training classes with the SHS can be found on our website at www.spartanburghumane.org/gda . For members of the public classes are $70 and for recent adopters from the SHS, classes are $60. (And yes, I do consult on behavior problems. The only issue we can't handle at the SHS is human-directed aggression. For those cases I refer people to Mira Jones at TailLights Dogs in Greenville.)

I suggest anyone considering classes with their dog sit in on one and/or talk directly with the instructor to make sure their methods and class management style works with your expectations. There are a *ton* of training options in the area that use older, more punishment based methods and, for puppies especially, I've found positive reinforcement much more effective and enjoyable for both dogs and people.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,209 times
Hi I just adopted a dog, a giant Snoodle. I went on this web site looking for dog parks to let my Max run and be socialized. I've always had English Mastiff's so I know the importance of socialization. I just moved back to the area and even though Im from here I don't know any good dog parks and or doggie day care. I just moved from Nashville Tn and they had them everywhere! Have you had any luck?

Old 01-28-2009, 06:20 AM

108 posts, read 371,724 times
For Dog Daycare there are a few options that I know of: Camp Bow Wow in Greenville has a nice facility, though I'd worry about the concrete on joints in dogs under 12-18 months since play can be pretty high impact. Pooch Palace in Greer seemed great when I visited about a year ago, but I haven't been there since. The kennel I use for my girls offers a daycare service with play interspersed with time in a kennel and are the cheapest I've found: Regal Kennels in Spartanburg, $10/day for daycare, $15/day for boarding.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:07 AM

92 posts, read 314,293 times
So much great information...thanks! We went to PetSmart Saturday and Colby had a great time..he was very good, not shy at all, one thing that I found very amusing - dogs don't seem to appreciate size differences! He was so funny with this one HUGE Lab, prancing all around him wanting to play. He's so cute the way his entire body wriggles with excitement.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:03 PM

11 posts, read 31,742 times
A lot of people have started walking their dogs in Hollingsworth Legacy Park at Verdae. I walk mine there at least twice a day and I am told by the developer that they are considering building a dedicated dog park in the near future. Go to VerdaeDevelopment.com for directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area