U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 09:19 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,826,362 times

Advertisements

We have been so happy with all the birds we are getting over here that we are going to have to buy bird feed [thistle and black oil sunflower] in 50lb sacks. So far about 20 different species - also getting woodpeckers and other birds on the suet [seems the hot pepper stuff is deterring the squirrels-that were ravaging the othe suet and the $19 Garden Treasures squirrel proof feeder is doing its job too]]

This morning we got a new surpise several dozen robins and about a half dozen cedar waxwings in our holly tree and more on the holly trees scattered throughout the woods - I imagine it will be stripped of berries by the end of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 09:24 AM

745 posts, read 1,977,711 times
I'm really looking forward to feeding birds when we move to Travelers Rest. I'm hoping to attract hummingbirds, too. Our property is wooded, as is the surrounding neighborhood. Should be plenty of critters in the woods!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:56 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,663,044 times
Birds (lots of hummingbirds as well), bees, butterflies, and much more are all very common around the Upstate. I LOVE taking time to simply watch and listen to the wide variety of birds on a regular basis. It seems emotionally medicinal.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:40 AM

5,893 posts, read 11,401,876 times
One of the delights of moving here has been waking up to the sound of birds chirping instead of jet engines from O'Hare roaring overhead. I continue to be amazed at the variety of birds and other critters that abound in this area as well as the numerous varieties of trees and blooming things. Even driving to the grocery store is like taking a scenic trip. Simply delightful!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:55 PM

288 posts, read 833,445 times
We bought our house partially based on the fact that our yard backs up to woods. We get tons of birds and other critters. Here's a tip for fellow bird lovers -- I've found that the Tractor Supply store in Mauldin has the best prices on seed. In addition to the usual sunflower seeds, etc., they sell a blend of seed and fruit, which attracts a bunch of different birds. A big bag is around $13, which is way less than I've seen it other places. Grannynancy, you are right, that hot pepper suet is the best. Since I started using that kind, squirrels and raccoons have stopped devouring my suet. I don't think I've seen any Cedar Waxwings near our place, hope they will stop by.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:41 AM

288 posts, read 833,445 times
Default Suet

To the person who was questioning/criticizing suet for birds. Your post disappeared but I wanted to respond intelligently. No, I wouldn't eat a chuck of beef fat (fast food anyone?). But I don't eat grubs, worms and other insects either. I know it seems kind of gross but suet actually is beneficial to birds, especially in winter.

Here's what a veterinarian says about it:
B
ird suet is made from fat — oftentimes rendered animal fat. This doesn't exactly conjure up a picture of healthy dining. But, fat plays a very important role in avian diets. Along with protein and carbohydrates, fat is one of the three dietary sources of calories — or energy. Fats are concentrated forms of energy and, per unit weight, provide more than twice the caloric energy as protein or carbohydrates of equivalent weight. This is very important for birds because their metabolisms are extremely accelerated. Fat energy helps them sustain activity levels longer between meals. Suet is a quick source of heat and energy for birds, whose metabolisms are set on fast forward. It traditionally used as a good substitute for the insects that birds usually feed upon but are not plentiful in cold weather.

If you have a problem with the animal fat part, peanut butter can be used as a substitute, although it's messier. Some of my hard core vegetarian friends choose this option.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:32 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,975,545 times
A lot I know!! I was reading, thinking suet was just another type of seed! I've always loved the number and types of butterflies we see on a regular basis, and the fact that once or twice a year we see a blue bird (not blue jay). Plus, hummingbirds are an occasional nice surprise.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:07 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,582,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelcat View Post
To the person who was questioning/criticizing suet for birds. Your post disappeared ...
It seems that all of their posts have disappeared !

There were about 10 all stating the same thing in various forums, along with references to some bird feed company, one that surprisingly had a blog post that was incredibly similar to the post here, and sold "alternatives" to suet.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,826,362 times
We have a group of 4 hummingbirds that has been absolutely delightful - if I let it run out they will fly around my head chirping at me when I go out to take it in for a refill. The come very frequently and even pirch in the tree near the feeder.

Next year I am going to try to grow some mealworms and fruit flys for our little bird friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area