Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 AM

137 posts, read 396,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Now if we can only get slower traffic to stay right, we'll be getting somewhere!!!!
Thanks for the research, Art! And the plug for "stay right, except to pass" is always appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:01 AM

124 posts, read 321,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I know someone that got a ticket for doing just that in Mauldin. In Chicago where I learned to drive everyone needed to do it in order for traffic to move along. Gas was $4/gal and everyone's sitting through green lights to make left turns.

That is anecdotal, I would like to see the actual ticket. They did something else wrong to get that ticket I'm sure.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:19 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,428 times
Thumbs up I knew I was right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Voila!

(Warning: .pdf file)
http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/Cars.pdf

SC Department of Motor Vehicles

Page 9:

Left Turns
A left turn often takes more preparation than a right turn. You must
think far enough ahead to get into the lane nearest the center of the
road. Signal at least 100 feet ahead. Before turning, check traffic behind
and in front of you. Make sure that no one is trying to pass you. Then
enter the intersection from the lane nearest to the center line. Then turn
into the lane nearest and to the right of the center line. Yield to pedestri-
ans and oncoming traffic.
On a two-lane highway, the left turn should be made from as near
the center line as possible and then follow the steps in the preceding
paragraph.
Should the light turn red when you are in the intersection about to
turn left, complete the turn when approaching traffic has cleared.

Now if we can only get slower traffic to stay right, we'll be getting somewhere!!!!

Page 25:

Know Your Lanes
Driving in the proper lane on a interstate is a “must” for safety. The
extreme right lane is usually for slower speeds and also for entering and
leaving the interstate. The other lanes are usually for motorists who
want to drive and maintain the posted speed limit. However, if another
vehicle overtakes you from the rear you should pull over to allow him to
pass.
This is amusing, my wife and I were arguing about this very subject the other day, I said that when there is 6 lanes of traffic it is almost necessary to enter the intersection in order to turn, she said it was illegal to sit in the intersection, but it does say enter the intersection then it says yield to traffic and pedestrians. She'll be getting an I told you so when she gets home later, lol.

P.S. I like how you added the know your lanes part in, that drives me nuts on 85 when someone just continues driving 60-65 miles an hour oblivious to the line of traffic behind them waiting to get by.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 AM

696 posts, read 1,335,068 times
In most places that I've lived, it's common practice to complete the left turn if you are in the intersection when the light turns yellow and oncoming traffic stops. Legal or not, it keeps traffic moving. The downside to this is when you get the two or three cars that were not in the intersection when the light turned yellow trying to go while the light is red and cross-traffic begins to move. Easy way to get into and/or cause an accident.

How about U-turns? Are they considered legal/acceptable in SC?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
I make u-turns everyday coming home from school; right in front of police cars/officers and have not been stopped for it yet. I'm sure if a NO U-turn sign is posted that you shouldn't though!

I don't remember if I saw the ticket that I mentioned; it's been a few years since it was supposedly issued.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:07 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,687 times
Another thing........... people go through red lights like crazy here. What's up with that?!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Another thing........... people go through red lights like crazy here. What's up with that?!
thats everywhere, not just here(IMO)

Old 02-10-2009, 06:23 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I agree. The occasional idiot who is slowing down traffic in the left lane is not exclusive to here, either.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Sure it happens everywhere, but I haven't seen it with the frequency that I see it here.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Not moving into the intersection bothers me, but that's nothing compared to people who don't use their turn signals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area