U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:25 AM

85 posts, read 277,993 times

Advertisements

Any & Everything anyone wants to contribute would be much appreciated...

Thank you...

Go...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 AM

5,475 posts, read 14,180,697 times
What information are you interested in? There are plenty of threads in both subforums providing more than enough information to compare the two cities.

Because this type of topic usually slips into endless arguing over opinions, this thread seems more suitable for the City vs. City forum, in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:54 PM

Just looking for major differences between the two, other than one has the mountains & the other the beach.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:58 PM

2,254 posts, read 5,362,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Seconds View Post
Just looking for major differences between the two, other than one has the mountains & the other the beach.
one has people who like to argue about who's town is better, the other doesn't

Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,097,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Seconds View Post
Any & Everything anyone wants to contribute would be much appreciated...

Thank you...

Go...
I grew up in Greenville, and have lived in Charleston for the last four years, so I can comment based on my own experiences.

First, the two metros are very different. One is at the foothills of the mountains, the other is on the coast. That alone dictates many of the differences:

Charleston is an old port city, with lots of history. The Civil War started here. It's 10-15 minutes from the beach, and there are many nice hotels, restaurants, and resorts. Very heavy tourism. It definitely has a "coastal feel" in terms of attitude and lifestyle - very laid back. The downtown historic district is charming, and continues to stay modern. Think "old South." Whether you like that sort of thing is up to you; some love it, others can't stand it. I'm in the latter group.

Greenville is a relatively "new" city. It used to be a textile hub, but area leaders realized 25 years ago that the industry was not a good one to rely upon moving forward. As textile mills closed, Greenville was able to become the state's leading economic engine. Michelin's North American headquarters, BMW's North American manufacturing headquarters, and many other international and Fortune 500 companies have operations there. It feels more "businessy" and less touristy than Charleston. The area has only started to focus on increasing tourism in the last 5 years or so (and has done a great job of it). The downtown area is the "crown jewel" of the metro area and is a great place to dine, shop, and walk. It is honestly one of the cleanest, coolest urban areas you will find. Think "new South." For outdoor enthusiasts, mountains and lakes are easily within a 30 minute to 1 hour drive.

People in both places are friendly. Both have their share of natives and transplants, and everyone seems to get along well. Cost of living is higher in Charleston, and you have the threat of hurricanes. Charleston seems to have a lot of college kids and retirees, and Greenville seems to have a lot in-between, although there are obviously plenty of college students in Greenville and thirtysomethings in Charleston. It really comes down to the vibe you're after and where you are in life.

I obviously prefer Greenville. City leaders have a dynamic vision, and part of that vision has already been realized. I think you'll see the Greenville metro continue to prosper in the coming years. The quality of life is very high. I don't get that in Charleston. It's not bad here, but it certainly isn't Greenville.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I grew up in Greenville, and have lived in Charleston for the last four years, so I can comment based on my own experiences.

First, the two metros are very different. One is at the foothills of the mountains, the other is on the coast. That alone dictates many of the differences:

Charleston is an old port city, with lots of history. The Civil War started here. It's 10-15 minutes from the beach, and there are many nice hotels, restaurants, and resorts. Very heavy tourism. It definitely has a "coastal feel" in terms of attitude and lifestyle - very laid back. The downtown historic district is charming, and continues to stay modern. Think "old South." Whether you like that sort of thing is up to you; some love it, others can't stand it. I'm in the latter group.

Greenville is a relatively "new" city. It used to be a textile hub, but area leaders realized 25 years ago that the industry was not a good one to rely upon moving forward. As textile mills closed, Greenville was able to become the state's leading economic engine. Michelin's North American headquarters, BMW's North American manufacturing headquarters, and many other international and Fortune 500 companies have operations there. It feels more "businessy" and less touristy than Charleston. The area has only started to focus on increasing tourism in the last 5 years or so (and has done a great job of it). The downtown area is the "crown jewel" of the metro area and is a great place to dine, shop, and walk. It is honestly one of the cleanest, coolest urban areas you will find. Think "new South." For outdoor enthusiasts, mountains and lakes are easily within a 30 minute to 1 hour drive.

People in both places are friendly. Both have their share of natives and transplants, and everyone seems to get along well. Cost of living is higher in Charleston, and you have the threat of hurricanes. Charleston seems to have a lot of college kids and retirees, and Greenville seems to have a lot in-between, although there are obviously plenty of college students in Greenville and thirtysomethings in Charleston. It really comes down to the vibe you're after and where you are in life.
Great post...thank you for sharing thoughts.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:56 PM

969 posts, read 2,706,206 times
Greenville is overrun with religious zealots. Well, so is Charleston.

Greenville is where you want to be when you're ready to settle down. Charleston is where you want to be if you're not ready to grow up.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,971,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Greenville is overrun with religious zealots. Well, so is Charleston.

Greenville is where you want to be when you're ready to settle down. Charleston is where you want to be if you're not ready to grow up.
I disagree with both statements. Greenville isn't overrun with religious zealots, no one is force feeding religion into my mouth. Greenville's nightlife is very, very vibrant! Greenville is the center of the most populated region in SC and people are still coming. Apparently they didn't get the religion message you just mentioned. There was no hate in 08, now open your mind in 09. Don't listen to naysayers, pay a visit to both areas.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM

106 posts, read 363,189 times
Charleston is a cool beach city with lots of history. Also by virtue of being near the marshes it tends to have an unmistakable smell all the time. Lots of cool bars and places to hang out.

Greenville is a very new city in comparison and has a great downtown area. It is more conservative than the latter, and is mostly family oriented. Greenville is known as the city of churches for a reason. Its the buckle of the bible belt.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,971,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perek View Post
Charleston is a cool beach city with lots of history. Also by virtue of being near the marshes it tends to have an unmistakable smell all the time. Lots of cool bars and places to hang out.

Greenville is a very new city in comparison and has a great downtown area. It is more conservative than the latter, and is mostly family oriented. Greenville is known as the city of churches for a reason. Its the buckle of the bible belt.
Wow! I've been in SC all of my life and the Greenville area for 5 years and never heard of it being referred to as "the city of churches". Can any of the regulars here in Greenville clarify? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything in all of my years here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area