U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 AM

77 posts, read 141,705 times

Advertisements

Where does a new resident pay vehicle property tax in person in Greenville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 AM

273 posts, read 549,062 times
The office is downtown, very near West End ballpark. All the county offices are there. The address is Suite 700; 301 University Ridge; Greenville, SC 29601. Phone number for the property tax office is 864.467.7050. You'll need to show your paid car tax receipt at the DMV before you can get your license, which is backwards to a lot of places (including Charlotte). County has a very informative web site Greenville County Government.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:04 PM

5,623 posts, read 7,116,787 times
I have a question along these lines. Okay, I paid my tax and got my plates. Are we supposed to have anything else, similar to the city sticker I used to be required to buy annually back in Illinois? I just don't want to be pulled over one day because I'm missing something I should have and am not aware of.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 PM

899 posts, read 1,486,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I have a question along these lines. Okay, I paid my tax and got my plates. Are we supposed to have anything else, similar to the city sticker I used to be required to buy annually back in Illinois? I just don't want to be pulled over one day because I'm missing something I should have and am not aware of.
Nope, just the registration stickers on your license plate. Nothing other than that.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 PM

273 posts, read 549,062 times
Yes, that's all you need. Registration and license plate. Sadly, SC doesn't have a vehicle inspection requirement although it might benefit from one. A real one. Not the silly joke of a one it had years ago. NC requires vehicle inspection and, yes, it's a small extra cost every year but it keeps cars safer and more reliable for everyone.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 PM

53 posts, read 94,356 times
How much does vehicle tax cost. Never heard of it. Moving there in DEC.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:19 PM

262 posts, read 542,469 times
It is based on the value of your vehicles and the milage. My hubby has a 2000 mits. galant as a commuter and he paid under 100. (can't remember exact). I have a new Trailblazer and for both it was under 300.00. I want to say 265. Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 PM

2,060 posts, read 3,136,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhra120p View Post
How much does vehicle tax cost. Never heard of it. Moving there in DEC.
Vehicle tax = a type of property tax

I just paid my vehicle tax today and got my brand new SC tag. Although I'm proud to have the "No More Homeless Pets" tag (the extra fee goes to spay and neuter programs), I was very sad to remove my NC Blue Ridge Parkway tag.

I thought the vehicle valuation was very strange... my 2005 Grand Cherokee and hubby's 2006 Mustang GT are each valued at less than $1,000, but the millage is nearly $.25/... bottom line is that my vehicle tax bill is $260 and hubby's is $255. It IS interesting to read a detailed list on each bill of how the tax is spent. I liked the fact that a small bit of it goes to the Art Museum.

Getting a SC driver's license - a word of warning... I had EVERYTHING (I thought) to also get my drivers license today, but didn't read all the fine print. I didn't have my birth certificate - last time I saw it was to get my marriage license 13+ years ago. A passport will suffice, but it has to be less than 10 years old... nope, don't have one of those either. Oh, and if you are married and use your spouse's name, be sure to take your marriage license. Fortunately, I didn't change my name when I got married. Ohhhh... now to dig through boxes of papers to find my birth certificate.

Last edited by roadpony; 02-26-2009 at 09:19 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 08:29 PM

1,910 posts, read 3,753,839 times
did you mean your vehicles are worth less than 10K, or have you been in major accidents with those cars?!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 PM

2,060 posts, read 3,136,679 times
No, they are a normal 2005 Jeep Gr. Cherokee and 2006 Mustang GT, each with average-to-low mileage. That's why I thought the valuations were bizarre. However, the tax rate is high, so it all evens out. The actual tax bill was about what I expected, though a little higher than we paid in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area