Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,247 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I will be relocating to the Greenville area in May/June of this year. I have lived for the past 8 years in Columbus, OH. I am a 29 year old woman looking for an idea of where to start looking for a rental home/apartment. If anyone is familiar with Columbus, I have been living in the Short North area, Clintonville and also the Polaris area. In Greenville I will be working on E. Beacon Dr. and I would like a apartment that will be either close by or an easy commute.
I am single, so a safe area is important to me. Would living downtown be a good idea? I am in the price range of up to $550 for a one bedroom, and from what I see on craiglist and rent.com it seems as though I can find a decent place, I just have no idea where the hip areas are, the suburbs, etc.

Sorry to sound so bewildered but I have never been to SC and may not have a chance to until right before I will be moving. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times
You won't be able to get much (if anything) in the downtown area for $550. In fact, I don't think that will get you anything especially nice in the suburbs either. You can definitely find something though, just keep doing your homework like you obviously have been. I don't know much about the cost of living in Columbus, but I am guessing that it will be comparable to what you'll get for your money in Greenville.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:28 PM

34 posts, read 111,287 times
ok not too sure where e. beacon is but i'm guessing its close to downtown...anyways i just moved from cbus in august and downtown is a nice place to stay but for $550 it'll be tough finding a place. I feel sort of familiar with greenville and surrounding areas for the most part...what is the address on e. beacon so i can look it up and have a better idea where its at

Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 AM

thanks BILLDDS, the address is 105 E Beacon Dr. Greenville, SC 29615 and from what I can see, Pelham Rd. seems like a major road close to it. I have seen some apartment complexes off of Pelham Rd., can you tell me what this area is like at all? I'm not at all picky, I just don't want to live somewhere unsafe. The only reason I mentioned the downtown area is because I am used to Columbus having its little neighborhoods around the downtown area (german village, victorian village, short north, etc) where you can find a little one bedroom with some character for what I'm looking to pay.
Thanks so much for your help!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 PM

34 posts, read 111,287 times
there are a bunch of apts similar to the quarry, runaway bay, river oaks, etc. I'm in a two bedroom and i pay 788 a month, not sure what a one bedroom costs though. I'll try and get some names of places, and next time i'm at the store i'll pick up an apt finder and if you want i can send it to you. if you pull up a map, 385 and 85 are the main highways, and you'll be working just off 85 on pelham rd. I live just two exits south of 85 on 385, butler rd. The apt complex is the arbors at brookfield, and its ok. Its close to where you'll be working.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLDDS View Post
there are a bunch of apts similar to the quarry, runaway bay, river oaks, etc. I'm in a two bedroom and i pay 788 a month, not sure what a one bedroom costs though. I'll try and get some names of places, and next time i'm at the store i'll pick up an apt finder and if you want i can send it to you. if you pull up a map, 385 and 85 are the main highways, and you'll be working just off 85 on pelham rd. I live just two exits south of 85 on 385, butler rd. The apt complex is the arbors at brookfield, and its ok. Its close to where you'll be working.
Thanks so much for your help and info! I've ordered a apartment guide for the Greenville area online, hopefully it will be here soon! Thanks so much for the offer. I will look into some more places and hopefully if I have more questions you will be there to answer them for me! Thanks again!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:13 AM

423 posts, read 898,954 times
[quote=ohiotransplant80;7937540]the address is 105 E Beacon Dr. Greenville, SC 29615 and from what I can see, Pelham Rd. seems like a major road close to it.

Beacon Drive is the "restaurant row" at I-85 and Pelham Rd. It's the road where Chophouse, Macaroni Grill, Logan's Roadhouse and California Dreaming are located. It's about a 20 minute commute from downtown, about 10 minutes from Haywood Rd, Roper Mountain Rd. There are a lot of older apartment complexes on Pelham Rd between East North St and Haywood Rd that are about 5 miles before you get to Pelham and 85 that will be less expensive than the newer complexes. You might also contact Goldsmith property management co about renting a condo or other property in your price range.There are also other property management companies such as Marchant Co. I live at Riverbend Condos near downtown and Augusta R. Most of the rentals are handled by Nellie Wagoner at Marchant. It's about 20 minutes from I-85 and Pelham Rd depending on traffic. http://www.marchantco.com/;http://goldsmithpm.com/[/URL"]http://www.marchantco.com/;http://goldsmithpm.com/"]http://www.marchantco.com/;http://goldsmithpm.com/[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area