U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:21 PM

374 posts, read 542,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Having just signed up for DirecTV, they originally sent me a list of what all my services would cost, and what discounts I would receive for how long. It was called something like "Estimate of First Bill" with an asterisk noting that it did not include taxes. Pretty straightforward.

But then, the day after installation, I noticed they charged my credit card for the amount without any of the stated discounts. I emailed them to complain, and they said that the discounts were "rebates" that I had to apply for online and would receive in 6-8 weeks.

I don't really care about having to wait to get the discount, but a) you shouldn't call it an "Estimate of First Bill" when there is no possible way to have the rebates processed by the first bill, and b) why in the world does it take 6-8 weeks for them to process a rebate they agreed to before installation?

Thankfully I read the fine print a few days before they came for the installation and signed up for my "rebates". That way they applied my to my first bill and I didn't have to wait those weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 AM

1,103 posts, read 844,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Thankfully I read the fine print a few days before they came for the installation and signed up for my "rebates". That way they applied my to my first bill and I didn't have to wait those weeks.
Did you schedule installation 6-8 weeks ahead of time? If not how did you get your rebate by the time you were billed? (I was billed two days after installation.)

And where in the fine print did you see that? I thought I had read everything. In any case, it is called a "discount" on the "Your Estimated First Bill", not a rebate. Confusing. They could definitely make it more clear.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 AM

I ordered it on a Wednesday and had it installed on the following Saturday, so about a 1.5 weeks between the order and installation. I believe one of the emails they sent saying your scheduled installation is Saturday, and on the bottom of one of those talked about the rebates. I do remember going to their site and looking at the rebate page since it was mentioned in my estimate. I just can't quite remember how I got there, but I believe it was through an email.

I was already living without cable so waiting an additional week and a half wasn't that big of deal to me.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 PM

8,560 posts, read 8,455,443 times
How about this idea? Use an antenna for local news and PBS and VHF stations and watch your cable shows on hulu.com or other sites like pctv.com. Get real news from DrudgeReport.com. The cost is zero dollars a month. Why PAY the mainstream media companies owned by the globalists for their propaganda and brainwashing?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,163,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
How about this idea? Use an antenna for local news and PBS and VHF stations and watch your cable shows on hulu.com or other sites like pctv.com. Get real news from DrudgeReport.com. The cost is zero dollars a month. Why PAY the mainstream media companies owned by the globalists for their propaganda and brainwashing?
would be awesome if Hulu actually had the shows I want to watch.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 AM

1,103 posts, read 844,687 times
My wife and I tried the antenna. It worked OK on some channels, but too many of the channels would have the sound cut in and out every 30 seconds or so. It made it unbearable to watch. It made me long for the days of analog TV where spotty reception meant you'd just see or hear a bit of static rather than have the sound completely go silent.

Your mileage may vary. Maybe your house is better positioned than ours.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 AM

5,474 posts, read 9,927,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
My wife and I tried the antenna. It worked OK on some channels, but too many of the channels would have the sound cut in and out every 30 seconds or so. It made it unbearable to watch. It made me long for the days of analog TV where spotty reception meant you'd just see or hear a bit of static rather than have the sound completely go silent.

Your mileage may vary. Maybe your house is better positioned than ours.
We have the same trouble as I believe I mentioned here earlier. There is a position where all channels come in perfectly but if you get 1cm off that it gets choppy. I have also found that switches getting thrown (lights, ac) affects the reception briefly. The days of rooftop antenna's are long gone; I don't think our HOA would even allow one! Our antenna currently is tipped in a haphazard position.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM

1,297 posts, read 951,418 times
More and more across the country people are cutting the cord and dropping overpriced cable and satellite. But it is crucial to select the right type of antenna for your location to maintain reliable reception. The AVL/GSP market has both HiVHF and UHF channels, so it is necessary to select an appropriate combo antenna that receives both upper VHF as well as UHF. WSPA and WLOS still broadcast on 7 and 13, but WYFF4 now transmits on RF36. So it is necessary to get the right type of antenna, as well as a preamplifier to boost the signal from the antenna outside to the inside of the house. A very good small antenna for this area is the Antennacraft HBU22 sold at Radioshack. I have no reception problems at my house, and I also receive most Charlotte channels. In fact, I get WBTV3 at 100%, which is stronger than the problematic WLOS signal from Asheville. And it is against the law for any homeowner's association to prevent you from putting up an outside antenna, according to FCC regulations. And OTA antennas are now making a comeback across the country.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:01 PM

I used a rooftop antenna for 9 months in Alabama and almost 1.5 years here in Greenville. The downside to where my house is is that I could not get ABC. Yeah I could get online some of their shows, but I also then couldn't surf the internet and watch tv at the same time. I did get my football games through espn3 online only because I don't live in the same state as my team. Go Vols. Some of the shows I enjoyed watching online when I first cut cable had a 8 day delay. Meaning they were put online 8 days after originally airing. That wasn't so bad. It eventually changed to 30 days. Having to avoid spoilers for 8 days wasn't too bad, but 30 was too much.

I also had netflix when I first cut the cord, but with their dwindling selection and increased price I said goodbye to them about 9 months before I got satellite.

Going without cable can be done. I decided to get back on with satellite.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:35 PM

1,297 posts, read 951,418 times
WLOS on RF13 from Asheville has a problematic signal for ABC reception in Upstate SC, as their antenna has a directional pattern to protect WBTW RF13 in Florence, SC. So they don't get a good signal into the GSP area. But with the right type of antenna and preamp, it can be received. And they are trying to add a translator signal on Paris Mtn, pending FCC approval, which should correct the problem. Meanwhile, most of the time at night after 7pm, WSOC Channel 9 from Charlotte comes in very strong, in addition to the other Clt channels which can be received during the day. So I am quite pleased with OTA antenna reception, which I use for local/regional channels, in addition to Charter cable. Just be sure you get a good antenna, such as the HBU22, or the larger HBU55 if necessary. And a good small antenna is also the Terk HDTVo at Best Buy, which can be used outside or in the attic. Or for indoors, the Terk HDTVa is sold at HHG but cheaper online. Avoid those flat panel style antennas, as they will not work for weak VHF. The Clearstreams at BB and Walmart may work, but perhaps not for 7 or 13 as they are optimized for UHF. And both DirecTV and Dish have receivers that allow you to add your local OTA antenna signals, as well as the satellite channels into one system and set up. Which is good to have if your sat ever goes out during storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area