Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:11 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times

Advertisements

I'm amazed at the availability of parks, hiking, and waterfalls in this area.

This weekend I want to take my family to a nearby park (am willing to drive 30-45 minutes one way, live in Simpsonville) with easy walking trail(s), waterfall(s), and a possible playground (we have 3 children, youngest being 2). I've been searching on the web but would like some local advice.

We've recently been to Pleasant Ridge District Park (::Greenville Recreation District - Pleasant Ridge:: (http://gcrd.org/pleasantridge.html - broken link)) and had a wonderful time: small playground and easy hike to a nice waterfall (Pleasant Ridge Falls, Plesant Ridge County Park, near Travelers Rest, SC). Of course, we've been to Reedy Falls Park downtown. We have not been to Paris Mountain.

Is there another area like Pleasant Ridge that has (generally) *easy* hiking with other kid amenities? Any input regarding Caesars Head (About This Park - Caesars Head State Park / Mountain Bridge Wildnerness Area) or Jones Gap State Park (About This Park - Jones Gap State Park / Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area)? Thanks for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 04:02 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
I went to the Waldrop Stone Falls this weekend near Daniel High School in Clemson. It is 50 foot drop waterfall. I only recently learned about it.

It is an easy hike, took about 20 minutes or so to get to the waterfall after parking. I came back the same way but you can take another trail back that is about the same distance. It is a good spot to go if you have kids and / or a dog.

Waldrop Stone Falls – VISIT CLEMSON

Waldrop Stone Falls - South Carolina | AllTrails.com

The trailhead parking is on Waldrop Stone Falls road near the intersection with Madden Bridge Road.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
Check out Table Rock and the Jocassee area. Awesome areas.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:05 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I went to the Waldrop Stone Falls this weekend near Daniel High School in Clemson. It is 50 foot drop waterfall. I only recently learned about it.

It is an easy hike, took about 20 minutes or so to get to the waterfall after parking. I came back the same way but you can take another trail back that is about the same distance. It is a good spot to go if you have kids and / or a dog.

Waldrop Stone Falls – VISIT CLEMSON

Waldrop Stone Falls - South Carolina | AllTrails.com

The trailhead parking is on Waldrop Stone Falls road near the intersection with Madden Bridge Road.
I have been there quite a few times. I was curious how it fared with the fires as I heard some of Clemson's Experimental Forrest's got hit, and that's at least one of them, if there is more than one.

There are 2 other falls on Clemson properties, you should check them out. One is may not be open now due to winter hours, the other one is always open but last time I was there, the water flow was not the best due to the rain issues we've had.

Afterwards, we hit Clemson for ice cream!!! Go when schools in session, so it's open.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:27 AM

604 posts, read 583,099 times
It's further out, but Whitewater Falls is the biggest in the area. It's a short walk on a paved trail from the parking lot. No kid amenities, though. While you're in the area, take in Simm's Chapel (aka Pretty Place), one of the most breathtaking views in the area, although no waterfalls.

Jone's Gap has a number of waterfalls, but most are a fair hike, and the trail is kind of rough, esp. for kiddos.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:43 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,804,183 times
DuPont State Park is another casual hike where you can see multiple waterfalls. The trail is easy for most folks. We often see elderly and even a few folks in wheelchairs.

Great for a first time hike.

Explore — DuPont State Recreational Forest

Old 12-21-2016, 07:20 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Moonshine falls. its in Cleveland SC. There is a trail that actually passes several falls on the way there. I did it with my wife and a friend of ours and it was strenuous but also a lot of fun. It is inside asbury methodist camp's property, but if you email them they will allow you access. We did a full loop although I guess some are now saying that half of that loop is overgrown and may not be passable. fun cable bridge over a creek, several waterfalls, even a little swimming hole if you are feeling like taking a dip It was a really good time. make sure you have a gps or a good map as parts of the trail can be a little confusing.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:18 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
The Carrick Creek Trail at Table Rock is easy and beautiful. It's only about 2 miles but lots of small waterfalls. If you go counter-clockwise you will encounter at bit of mud at the end, as well as a stream crossing that can be a little tricky depending on how much rainfall we have had lately. Great trail though.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:59 PM

513 posts, read 575,861 times
Some good suggestions already. Here are few more I'll throw in. Gotta do the Stumphouse Mtn Tunnel and adjoining Isaqueena Falls. The tunnel is usually only open to the halfway point now ( though every now and then they open it all the way) , but it is truly a cool place to visit, with some historical info as well. Take a flashlight and water proof shoes. Kids love it. The waterfall is on the other end of the parking lot, and can be very pretty. It is a small flow fall so it's best viewed after a good rain.

Walhalla Fish Hatchery is another good place. You can see and feed various trout breeds from minnow size to granddaddy size. You can even fish the nearby stream. Beautiful drive in the mountains! There is also a very pretty trail with picnic tables, a shelter, and some old growth forest with the largest Hemlocks, and Poplars in the state.

For easily walkable waterfalls check out Eastatoe Falls ( Twin Falls) in Pickens County, and Brasstown Falls in Oconee. Eastatoe is a pretty drive through a valley and a pretty short walk with a viewing deck. Brasstown is a collection of four falls, all unique, with all but the last one pretty easy to get to.

A great one mile hike is at Glassy Mtn in Pickens. Drive up Glassy mtn road and find a trail marker on your right. Park by the road and it takes you all the way to the top ( wear bug spray except in winter). There are some great views and a couple of areas with no trees where you can walk up rock faces and see all around. There's also one spot where you can see the entire escarpment ridge line laid out to your north (hold on to the kids!), one of the best views in the upstate! Walk back down the road back to your car.

For lakes, you simply can't beat Jocassee. Enough said there.

For picking fruit, skip the crowds of the larger ones and go to Chatooga Belle farms in Long Creek. Beautiful! Great fruit!

Old 05-20-2017, 03:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I have been there quite a few times. I was curious how it fared with the fires as I heard some of Clemson's Experimental Forrest's got hit, and that's at least one of them, if there is more than one.

There are 2 other falls on Clemson properties, you should check them out. One is may not be open now due to winter hours, the other one is always open but last time I was there, the water flow was not the best due to the rain issues we've had.

Afterwards, we hit Clemson for ice cream!!! Go when schools in session, so it's open.

I want to say there was an small area that had burned along the trail to Waldrop Stone Falls, closer to the head of the trial at the road.

I will check out the other waterfalls in the forest eventually.

I hit the CU ice cream place up about once a month.

Last weekend I discovered that there is a replica of an old fort, Fort Rutledge, on the Clemson campus. It is up in the woods right behind the water treatment plant that is on the lake dam between the golf course and the rowing boathouse. The fort was in the area somewhere but the exact location is unknown. Supposedly Fort Rutledge is what inspired John C. Calhoun to change the name of his mansion on CU's campus to Fort Hill.

Here's some info on Fort Rutledge if there are any history buffs on here. http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=13174
https://www.clemson.edu/about/histor...ocuments/2.pdf

There is a trail through the woods that runs parallel to the lake dam from this fort replica back over to the golf course. Along this trail is a black oak tree that is designated the largest black oak in the state.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-20-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area