Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:00 PM

161 posts, read 416,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticpen View Post
Haha, that's a funny insight Drizzle. No jukeboxes??? I may have to find another place to relocate...but seriously, is there any "scene" in Greenville? Do any indie rock bands come through? Any DIY punk/hardcore shows?
Honestly, it's going to depend on what you're in to. Indie/punk...not so much. Some band come through, but it's not what I'm in to. I've been to a few places that at first seen cool but eventually the polo/kacki/boat shoe crowd shows up and ruins it. Also, God forbid if you have visable tattoos because you will become the main attraction no matter where you go. The "hipsters" down here wear the girl jeans, white belts and drink PBR, but beleive me, "Everyday is Like Sunday". If you're looking for a "scene", it isn't here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
You may be interested in Earshot, an independent music/film store which hosts occasional live concerts. They built an incredible store/cafe in downtown Greenville a few years ago, but it closed shortly afterward because of slow CD and DVD sales. It was easily one of the most unusual and impressive shops anywhere.

Here is their list of upcoming concerts in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville area.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:54 AM

8 posts, read 58,966 times
Quote:
The "hipsters" down here wear the girl jeans, white belts and drink PBR
That sounds a little more "emo"/mall-punk...when I say hipster I think more of American Apparel, H&M, vintage high-top Nikes...and drinking PBR.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticpen View Post
That sounds a little more "emo"/mall-punk...when I say hipster I think more of American Apparel, H&M, vintage high-top Nikes...and drinking PBR.
I know, but that's about as close as you're going to get.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:24 AM

18 posts, read 57,914 times
We listen to WNCW, which is a local radio station that pays a lot of attention to the local music scene in western NC & upstate SC. I recommend it - they have a lot of calendar listings of local music events etc. Because of the region we're in, they do tend to play a lot of bluegrass/newgrass, but also play jazz, zappa/grateful dead type stuff, alternative rock, etc. Lots of regional music. (not sure if there's any punk, hardcore, etc, though) That might help you learn about local 'hipster' stuff, which is different here than it is in Baltimore, you would have to get used to that. But you can also be who you are ('hip'!) no matter what the 'scene' is. You can make your own scene. Greenville and the region around it has lots of cultural offerings.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 AM

40 posts, read 197,302 times
Real Gypsy and Madusas have more the kind of crowd you are looking for. Most of the people on this forum would never step foot in those two places. That also goes for the kroc wearing, suburban types that do go to those other places.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster_MGT_student View Post
Real Gypsy and Madusas have more the kind of crowd you are looking for. Most of the people on this forum would never step foot in those two places. That also goes for the kroc wearing, suburban types that do go to those other places.
Gypsy's is ok, but it does get a little "krocish" after awhile. Plus, having a pay a cover is kind of bad (even though the drinks are cheap). I've never been to Madusas' so I can't comment on that.

Chicora Alley is decent, when it's not over run by kids running around and yuppies. When we first started going there it was a cool place to hang out, then it got "taken over", probably because it became popular.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:43 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
Gypsy's is ok, but it does get a little "krocish" after awhile. Plus, having a pay a cover is kind of bad (even though the drinks are cheap). I've never been to Madusas' so I can't comment on that.

Chicora Alley is decent, when it's not over run by kids running around and yuppies. When we first started going there it was a cool place to hang out, then it got "taken over", probably because it became popular.
ugh, I HATE Chicora, its yuppie central, it takes 20 minutes to get a freakin drink unless you know the bartender, at least you can't smoke in there anymore! when you could nobody could breathe in that place!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
ugh, I HATE Chicora, its yuppie central, it takes 20 minutes to get a freakin drink unless you know the bartender, at least you can't smoke in there anymore! when you could nobody could breathe in that place!
We haven't been back in months. The food started going down hill and then the whole yuppie thing just killed it. The staff was pretty nice though (we were always at a table so I don't know about the bartender).

Old 03-27-2009, 01:15 PM

8 posts, read 58,966 times
Wait a minute, are you saying people wear krocs to some of these bars? As in the foamy shoes with holes in them for "breathing"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area