Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 01:54 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,321,975 times

Advertisements

It has seen some decent growth despite there being a ongoing recession. The Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA gained 20,000+ new residents last year. Could it be primed for a boom in population when the recession is over? Its predicted for this area to be out of recession in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 02:05 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
It has seen some decent growth despite there being a ongoing recession. The Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA gained 20,000+ new residents last year. Could it be primed for a boom in population when the recession is over? Its predicted for this area to be out of recession in 2009.
There is no question in my mind that a boom is eminent. I can't tell you how many times per week I hear, "as soon as I'm able to sell my house in <~~~~~>, I'll be moving to the Upstate." Feel free to insert California, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Mass., Wisconsin, but multiply those states by 10 when you insert Florida.

In my opinion, and my very limited ability to predict the future, I think it will play out something like this. As the economy lifts and the negative publicity about the housing market trickles off, many people in the northeast will continue their investment in Florida for retirement, while others will skip Florida all together and move straight to the Carolinas, Georgia, etc (usually avoiding large cities). Those northeasterners who do go to Florida to snatch up homes they couldn't afford 3 years ago, will also allow the current residents (who also moved from the northeast) to sell their homes and revisit their aspirations of "half-backing" it to the Carolinas.

I will never forget an open house about three years ago, when I had 12 people run through, and 10 of them were coming from Florida, but originally from the north. 6 of them (3 older couples), actually traveled together from Florida to find homes in the Greenville area. At that time, I could sell almost anything with a master on main in about 2-3 weeks. As those folks found it difficult to sell their current homes, that market went away. It will return, as will the constant relocation of businesses to the Upstate, in search of great quality of life, and low cost of living.

Just my thoughts....from experience.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
There is no question in my mind that a boom is eminent. I can't tell you how many times per week I hear, "as soon as I'm able to sell my house in <~~~~~>, I'll be moving to the Upstate." Feel free to insert California, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Mass., Wisconsin, but multiply those states by 10 when you insert Florida.

In my opinion, and my very limited ability to predict the future, I think it will play out something like this. As the economy lifts and the negative publicity about the housing market trickles off, many people in the northeast will continue their investment in Florida for retirement, while others will skip Florida all together and move straight to the Carolinas, Georgia, etc (usually avoiding large cities). Those northeasterners who do go to Florida to snatch up homes they couldn't afford 3 years ago, will also allow the current residents (who also moved from the northeast) to sell their homes and revisit their aspirations of "half-backing" it to the Carolinas.

I will never forget an open house about three years ago, when I had 12 people run through, and 10 of them were coming from Florida, but originally from the north. 6 of them (3 older couples), actually traveled together from Florida to find homes in the Greenville area. At that time, I could sell almost anything with a master on main in about 2-3 weeks. As those folks found it difficult to sell their current homes, that market went away. It will return, as will the constant relocation of businesses to the Upstate, in search of great quality of life, and low cost of living.

Just my thoughts....from experience.
Interesting. I'm usually pretty good at feeling when something is going to happen. I'm already starting to reinvest in real estate and I will be getting my real estate license back again also, so I can be an agent.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:04 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
From an outsider's perspective, I think ckeegan nailed it. We are among many, many families that are looking to leave FL as soon as we can sell. We already have acreage in Travelers Rest, so if prices boom, we've already bought in. FL has really lost it's appeal, between skyrocketing costs, especially taxes and homeowner's insurance, and the ever impending hurricane threat served up by the media every chance they get. You'd think we had hurricanes every week the way they go on about it! Unfortunately, with a big boom, you also get a lot of undesirable things, such as heavier traffic, and higher cost of living. SC was kind of an undiscovered gem until recent years, with most 'half-backs' flocking to the NC mountains, before it got too pricey there. Our SC property is pretty far out in the boonies, so I hope we can live out our years in relative peace and quiet before the crowds show up.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:08 PM

10 posts, read 26,566 times
Ready? No way. In the past 2 years traffic on I-85 has become a nightmare! I used to be able to drive to work very easily and now even I-85 is packed at 6am. Personally, I think the northerners and the half backers can keep going up the interstate to another area. Let Greenville live in peace for those who were born here!!!!!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:32 PM

52 posts, read 139,188 times
Bring on the growth!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASN864 View Post
Bring on the growth!
Its going to grow faster and stronger!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM

58 posts, read 203,805 times
My fam for one is looking to move to the Carolinas (Greenville is an area we are interested in) from AZ. We had planned on moving this year but due to the our home value sliding we have to wait. The area is appealing to me because I am from New England and love it but it is just too expensive to move back there so the Carolinas are good compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area