Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:16 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times

Advertisements

Sampy,
Imho Greenville blows away Myrtle Beach. As someone said on another post MB is kinda weird in that it's a lot of retirees or young waiter/waitress types. Not that there's anything wrong with that plus the crime is really high in MB. If your looking for a cool, hip, family oriented town with traditional values, Greenville is it.

Have you done ****.com yet? It's a must imho. Greenville was my #1 and that started the ball rolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 12,552 times
My husband and I would like to move from mass with our daughter we were thinking Greenville SC since we've heard so many good things.Would you recommend the move and do you know how the schools are? Thank you

Old 07-06-2006, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,476 times
Hello Laura - My husband received a great job offer in Greensville and we are comtiplating moving to Simpsonville if he takes the offer. We have not visited, but plan on it before we make the move.

We currently reside in Southern California and even though we love it, it is just too expensive to live here. My only concern with this kind of move is the cultural diversity. Coming from New York, which like California, is such a melting pot...Did you notice a significant difference?

I don't want to be unfair to the South, but I just want to make sure that my son will grow-up in a place that is accepting to all people.

Please if anyone has any feedback for me that would be great...I would appreciate it!

Thanks

Old 07-06-2006, 03:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colson915
Hello Laura - My husband received a great job offer in Greensville and we are comtiplating moving to Simpsonville if he takes the offer. We have not visited, but plan on it before we make the move.

We currently reside in Southern California and even though we love it, it is just too expensive to live here. My only concern with this kind of move is the cultural diversity. Coming from New York, which like California, is such a melting pot...Did you notice a significant difference?

I don't want to be unfair to the South, but I just want to make sure that my son will grow-up in a place that is accepting to all people.

Please if anyone has any feedback for me that would be great...I would appreciate it!

Thanks
Hey there colson915, although I know you did not address this question to me...I did notice you were also looking for feedback from others....so here it is.

You say your husband has received a great job offer in in SC...Yippee!....you are already ahead of most of the others that wish to get out of whatever state they are currently located in.

I strongly suggest that you do come and visit prior to moving (as I suggest to the many others before you).

Your right Southern California is getting to expensive to live.

You also state your concern for cultural diversity....all you have to do is look at the race count on city-data to get that information. If you are truly looking for cultural diversity...honestly I can think of a few more cities/towns in SC that will offer you more of that then say....Simpsonsville?

Lastly...if you wish to be fair to the South....please do not think that California has the market cornered on people being so accepting to each other. Heck....I think a better word for it would be...endure. I have to tell you that the 2 1/2 years that I have been in the Carolina's I have seen more care and concern for our fellow human beings (no matter what their color of skin, class, poverty level, etc.)... than I ever saw in the 45+ years that I resided in Southern California.

Last edited by Yac; 07-08-2006 at 10:46 AM..

Old 07-06-2006, 09:33 PM

52 posts, read 130,312 times
Hello I would do as you planned and visit before you decide however..... I personally think it's a great place. I did alot of research before I considered it. I also have a girlfriend who is moving down with her whole family and BEGGED me to check out Simpsonville when I didn't want to so she had alot to convincing for me to check it out since I liked NC and planned to go there but I looked into it and I fell in love with it. Of course it is not the hustle bustle of NY or CA the traffic is NOTHING like here in NY. It took us 3 hours to get home from one of our bridges that should have taken us no longer than 40 minutes...MAX! As far as culture...I have seen everything from ny.. there as well....the difference to me is respect! I'm sure it will be alittle hard at first for us and for yourself having children but the way I feel is if anything it will be very quiet to them at first but they will adjust fine. Best of luck to you and let us know what you decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colson915

Thanks

Old 07-06-2006, 11:41 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
http://www.sled.state.sc.us/default.htm here is something I found.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:54 PM

32 posts, read 127,955 times
Default Visiting Simpsonville in 4 days!

Can't wait to check it out and see the city of Greenville too! But Laurasnuthouse or anyone else with the knowledge of Simpsonville, can you answer this questions for me? Is there someplace, maybe a realtor or the town hall that would have a map of the city and show a breakdown of what parts of the city attend which schools? I don't know if there is any such information or do you just have to do the foot work? How about your realtor Laura, do you mind telling me who you used? I'm from NJ, so it would be nice to have someone who knows where your coming from, kwim? I'm not planning on looking at houses this trip accept new homes to get a feel for how they are constructed, but maybe next trip with our kids if the town wins us over! If we make the move we are thinking about putting our house on the market next Spring, and hopefully sell by Summer. I'd hate to wait that long, but we have some work to do on our house and need to give time to the family we will leave behind. (Not going to be easy) Anyway, any places that are a must see??? How about the concert in town on Saturday nights, did you get to experience that, if so, how was it and what was the atmosphere like? My hubby and I are planning to attend when we visit. Ok, hopefully, you'll see my post and reply, and even if someone else does that's familar with Simpsonville, that's cool too! Thanks!

Old 07-10-2006, 02:10 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1206
Can't wait to check it out and see the city of Greenville too! But Laurasnuthouse or anyone else with the knowledge of Simpsonville, can you answer this questions for me? Is there someplace, maybe a realtor or the town hall that would have a map of the city and show a breakdown of what parts of the city attend which schools? I don't know if there is any such information or do you just have to do the foot work? How about your realtor Laura, do you mind telling me who you used? I'm from NJ, so it would be nice to have someone who knows where your coming from, kwim? I'm not planning on looking at houses this trip accept new homes to get a feel for how they are constructed, but maybe next trip with our kids if the town wins us over! If we make the move we are thinking about putting our house on the market next Spring, and hopefully sell by Summer. I'd hate to wait that long, but we have some work to do on our house and need to give time to the family we will leave behind. (Not going to be easy) Anyway, any places that are a must see??? How about the concert in town on Saturday nights, did you get to experience that, if so, how was it and what was the atmosphere like? My hubby and I are planning to attend when we visit. Ok, hopefully, you'll see my post and reply, and even if someone else does that's familar with Simpsonville, that's cool too! Thanks!
Where thinking of looking there too. Please leave feedback after or email me~!

Old 07-10-2006, 06:40 AM

52 posts, read 130,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1206
Hi If you check out the chamber of commerce in Simpsonville...they can give you alot of information and they will send you a nice size package of papers about Simpsonville. I believe they *might* be able to tell you more about the schools also. I would give them a call.. it couldn't hurt. They were very nice when I called to ask for my relocating packet and when we went down there we went in and they have a wall full of information such as car insurance, builders, schools, etc. As far as my realtor that I have been using at this point... personally... I think he's an idiot so my real estate person selling my house here will be contacting one of the people in her company from down there to help me. At open house yesterday we spoke about it and will get it for me this week. So when I find out who they are.. I will let you know. And for the Southerners who's eyes popped out of there heads cause I said that.... I can.....he's originally from NY lol

Old 07-10-2006, 09:07 PM

32 posts, read 127,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurasnuthouse
Hi If you check out the chamber of commerce in Simpsonville...they can give you alot of information and they will send you a nice size package of papers about Simpsonville. I believe they *might* be able to tell you more about the schools also. I would give them a call.. it couldn't hurt. They were very nice when I called to ask for my relocating packet and when we went down there we went in and they have a wall full of information such as car insurance, builders, schools, etc. As far as my realtor that I have been using at this point... personally... I think he's an idiot so my real estate person selling my house here will be contacting one of the people in her company from down there to help me. At open house yesterday we spoke about it and will get it for me this week. So when I find out who they are.. I will let you know. And for the Southerners who's eyes popped out of there heads cause I said that.... I can.....he's originally from NY lol

I did get my packet already and found it very helpful, almost too much to do and see! But we will make the best of what time we have there. Sooo EXCITED! We do plan on stopping at the Chamber of Commerce too, so maybe they can give me more on which areas attend which schools. Thanks for being honest about the idiot realtor, and please do let us know who you are referred to and if it goes well. That person could be in for a slew of new business! You know that is the one thing I am worried about. Do you think Simpsonville could over develope too much, or do you think the town will set a limit on developements? I'd just hate to see it turn in to another South Jersey, over populated to the point they don't know how to run it. Gotta get outta here! When I get back I share my experiences too, don't worry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area