Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 01:36 PM

139 posts, read 545,764 times

Advertisements

Free to anyone who has recently lost a job.

To provide an evening of laughter and entertainment to people who have recently lost their jobs, Electric City Playhouse is opening it doors for a free performance of Neil Simon's hilarious THE ODD COUPLE, Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 8 p.m.

ECP and the cast will use the final dress rehearsal night to provide this event. A dress rehearsal is run just like a regular performance with full costumes, lights, and sound. Programs and concessions will also be provided. Matt Morrison, owner of Matty's Downtown thought it was "a splendid idea! We are happy to partner up with ECP in an event like this." He will be donating ‘Cheese Burger Bites' while Trevor & Tracy Furlong, owners of The Victoria Tea Room, were thrilled to donate the deserts for the evening. An anonymous donor is contributing the beverages. The refreshments will be served immediately after the show.

"I think it's a wonderful idea and an opportunity for people to experience our theatre at it's best" said Cecilia Page, President of ECP. Jay Wright, Vice-President added "Many of us know first hand what it's like to be out of work. We want to do what we can to boost people's spirits, even for just a few hours, and this is a great show to do that. It was a hugely successful Broadway play, movie, and TV series."
When approached with the idea, director Jonathan Houston enthusiastically agreed, "Why not?" Why not indeed? Cast members working on one of the most stunning, elaborate sets ever designed for ECP - an authentic looking NY apartment - were also enthusiastic about the idea. Paula Doolittle (Gwendolyn), "I love it! We get great pleasure from performing for audiences that really want to see a show." Peter Summers (Oscar) added, "I think it's a great idea! I'm happy to be a part of this special night of entertainment."

While dress rehearsals are generally not open to the public, ECP wants to reach out to the community during these tough economic times. In fact, the idea gained so much momentum in the early days of planning, that the playhouse now intends to do this for each show in 2009 with all of the seasons directors' unanimous support. "It is our 25th anniversary year and we think it's a great way for our community theatre to give back to the community" said Wright.

While availability lasts, tickets may be picked up in the theatre office Mon-Fri from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Anyone who is currently unemployed will receive two tickets per household. Although proof of unemployment is not required, the playhouse is extending their trust that only those who are truly unemployed will take advantage of their offer.

Electric City Playhouse is located at 514 N Murray Ave, Anderson, SC 29625, for more information visit, Electric City Playhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 AM

152 posts, read 616,532 times
The existence of the ECP in Anderson is great news to me. I will be moving to the area during the second half of this year and love the theater. Perhaps I can even volunteer. Thanks Karoga for bringing this good news.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:33 AM

It's a great little theatre in downtown Anderson. I'm sure they would welcome you with open arms as a volunteer!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:50 AM

Today is the last day to get free tickets for the show tonight. There are still a few left and can be picked up between 9-2!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area