Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 08:59 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times

Advertisements

Have been looking to purchase a home and narrowed it down to the Greer and Taylors area. I like the Greer area north of Wade Hampton but recently found an older home I like in Taylors. I'm not as familiar, (if one could even say I'm remotely familiar with any of the areas, really), with the Taylors area and need a little input and advice.

The house is off Taylors Rd, I figured it was about half mile from the railroad tracks which seems very close to me. Since I don't live there, I don't know how these trains run and how being that close will be easy to hear them. I just stayed at my friends house in Jax, FL Sat night and heard train whistles allllll nighttttt longgggg and woke up to the same early Sunday morning - can't deal with that (and can't believe Jax doesn't have a law against this!) So, I was wondering, if someone lives in this area, if they can give any insight with the trains and how they run, sound, etc.

In general, can someone tell me how this area is?

When I asked the owner about neighbors she was telling me who goes to this church that church, etc. I asked her about the people right next door to her and she said she really didn't know them. I wondered if it was because maybe they weren't church goers? If that's the case, I'm a bit worried - we aren't church goers, well, one of us isn't (maybe a temple goer if I'm forced to go to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah!) and the other one rarely goes to church. Is Taylors a very church going community and if you don't "belong" you won't belong????? I don't get in to religion with others and am looking more to know that I have good neighbors, beyond the religious affiliation. My husband is Christian, I'm Jewish and neither of us are "religious" but we respect each others religious beliefs.

It's hard to make new friends, especially in this day and age, so many people have ulterior motives, not to mention life's daily grinds. For those who have recently moved to this area and Greer and who are NOT involved in a church or has a job waiting for them - how has it been to meet new people? I don't have any little kids anymore, son just graduated college last year and moved to NYC, daughter is a Jr in college in Boston, so meeting parents through kids isn't an option, I'm beyond that stage. Just wondering how people who have moved there without any friends or family in the area have found it to make new friends/acquantinces. I'm a bit worried if everyone is churchly in the area and we'll find it hard to meet people since we aren't. I'm not looking for a whole flock of people to surround myself with, I have a handful of friends, but just about all of them but one has been friends for 20 years or more. Never having been in this position, always having lived in one city my whole life, just wondering what I may encounter from others who have possibly been in the same situation.

Thanks for any input - greatly appreciate the replies in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
I live in Greer but very close to Taylors. I hear the occasional train whistle but can't tell you where the tracks are so can't help you there.

I do have two suggestions about how to meet people other than through a church or in your neighborhood, though. One is to join the Greenville Newcomers Club. They have at least 400 members and all sorts of activities you can participate in throughout the month and year-- both for just women and for couples. If you'd like more info, send me a direct message.

Also, you might check out www.meetup.com and join one of more groups that might interest you. I've met some great women through a dining out group who call themselves Greenville Dining Divas. There are book clubs, hiking clubs, moms' groups, and you name it. You can even start your own group if you're so inclined.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,332 times
I spent about a month living off Taylors road about a 3/4 mile from the tracks.The trains run at all hours day and night . I recall several passing at night.I got used to them after about 2 weeks.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Thanks for the replies, appreciate it!

My concern with the trains are if they blow their horns after a certain time at night and before a certain time in the morning - in Jax it seemed it went on non-stop- I had to go downstairs and pull out some earplugs at 3am!

Are there areas of Taylors that are considered "the wrong side of the tracks?"

I'm just trying to get a feel for the area. Being home now (in FL) makes it hard to find much up there without the help of others.

Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area