U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:35 PM

5,399 posts, read 5,673,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by excer View Post
So was the OP question ever answered? I am an ex-christian in the upstate SC area looking for others that are of like mind to fellowship with. That was incredibly easy to answer a question that applied to me. If the question didn't apply to you then don't reply to the OP. There was no need for childish finger pointing.
I'd just look for people that you have things in common with, in general. I mean, we ALL pay taxes and eventually die, right? Who cares if one believes in God or not??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I'd just look for people that you have things in common with, in general. I mean, we ALL pay taxes and eventually die, right? Who cares if one believes in God or not??
You're right! I completely agree, but not everyone thinks that way unfortunately. My old friends (when I was christian) aren't around anymore. And I just moved so my other friends are in a completely different city or state. It's just been difficult to find people who don't look down their nose because you don't attend church. And having people of like mind gets rid of the huge religious elephant in the room. Makes making friends a bit easier, or so I would think.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 PM

5,399 posts, read 5,673,031 times
Quote:
You're right! I completely agree, but not everyone thinks that way unfortunately. My old friends (when I was christian) aren't around anymore. And I just moved so my other friends are in a completely different city or state. It's just been difficult to find people who don't look down their nose because you don't attend church. And having people of like mind gets rid of the huge religious elephant in the room. Makes making friends a bit easier, or so I would think.
I find that not being self-conscious about such things kind of keeps them out of the picture. I don't know-I've worked with a group of folks for 8 years, most of whom are very religious (but also know how to have a bit of fun), and have NEVER had any issues in that regard.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 PM

1,941 posts, read 2,578,068 times
Quote:
So you're complaining that most Christians are "closed-minded" and don't want to associate you because of your beliefs, yet in your posts you seem to only be looking for people who share your beliefs. Aren't you guilty of exactly the same thing you don't like about them, or am I reading this wrong?!?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:40 PM

4,657 posts, read 5,363,188 times
Quote:
So was the OP question ever answered? I am an ex-christian in the upstate SC area looking for others that are of like mind to fellowship with. That was incredibly easy to answer a question that applied to me. If the question didn't apply to you then don't reply to the OP. There was no need for childish finger pointing.
We already have mods.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:42 PM

4,657 posts, read 5,363,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
So you're complaining that most Christians are "closed-minded" and don't want to associate you because of your beliefs, yet in your posts you seem to only be looking for people who share your beliefs. Aren't you guilty of exactly the same thing you don't like about them, or am I reading this wrong?!?
Shhhhh.....stop using logic and reason.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 3,068 times
No, I'm not saying that most are close-minded, I have very open-minded and loving Christian friends (they live in a different city). I still have Christian friends, they just don't live in the same city since I've moved. They are still really good friends of mine. They like to question me a lot about why I don't believe anymore. But since I've moved I would like to find people who think like me because I want to talk about stuff that the people I know have problems with. If I talk about it with my christian friends then they think I'm sinning and they are praying for my soul. (Which I don't mind if they want to pray, but I would prefer conversation that doesn't end with "well, I'll be praying for you) I love my friends, they aren't here though. My situation is complicated, I've just moved back to the Upstate where I had a lot of friends (who are Christian), they had slowly quit hanging around and answering my phone calls after I stopped going to church years ago. I'm back in the Upstate with no friends. And I keep repeating myself because I don't want words put into my mouth. I love people, I love having friends, I love my christian friends. I don't love that my conversations with them consist of either questioning my non-beliefs or trying to convince me that god still loves me. And like now, I always feel like I have to constantly explain myself. My best friend is Christian and she is perfectly fine that I'm not. She has realized that I don't like being questioned/attacked and we have normal everyday non-religious conversation. She's been with me through all of my doubting, questioning, and moving away from the faith through the past few years. But she's moving to FL. And I'd prefer to start making some friends that already think like me.

So, Greenville, i'm not trying to be close-minded. I'm open to having Christian friends, since I already have some and they are some of my greatest friends ever. However, I want to explore the option of having people who have been through the same kind of struggle as me. I have friends from all kind of religious backgrounds, ethnic and racial groups, and who live around the world. So, please don't accuse me of being close-minded.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 2,933 times
The word "freethinker" has a very specific meaning. It does NOT refer to anyone who just happens to be open minded. That would be called an open minded person, not necessarily a freethinker. Being a freethinker means you form your opinion free of any religious scripture, revelation or authority. The Christian religion is based on scripture, believed to be divine revelation from God. Therefore, if you are a Christian -unless you are a Christian who is also a radical heretic who denies that the Bible is the revealed word of God-, then you are NOT a freethinker. To say everyone is a freethinker is to make the term meaningless. It has a specific meaning that specifically excludes anyone belonging to a revealed religion, or one based on religious authority or scripture.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Religious people gather in churches partly in order to hang out with people who share their world view. There's nothing wrong with atheists getting together with other atheists for the same purpose.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
No, I'm not saying that most are close-minded, I have very open-minded and loving Christian friends (they live in a different city). I still have Christian friends, they just don't live in the same city since I've moved. They are still really good friends of mine. They like to question me a lot about why I don't believe anymore. But since I've moved I would like to find people who think like me because I want to talk about stuff that the people I know have problems with. If I talk about it with my christian friends then they think I'm sinning and they are praying for my soul. (Which I don't mind if they want to pray, but I would prefer conversation that doesn't end with "well, I'll be praying for you) I love my friends, they aren't here though. My situation is complicated, I've just moved back to the Upstate where I had a lot of friends (who are Christian), they had slowly quit hanging around and answering my phone calls after I stopped going to church years ago. I'm back in the Upstate with no friends. And I keep repeating myself because I don't want words put into my mouth. I love people, I love having friends, I love my christian friends. I don't love that my conversations with them consist of either questioning my non-beliefs or trying to convince me that god still loves me. And like now, I always feel like I have to constantly explain myself. My best friend is Christian and she is perfectly fine that I'm not. She has realized that I don't like being questioned/attacked and we have normal everyday non-religious conversation. She's been with me through all of my doubting, questioning, and moving away from the faith through the past few years. But she's moving to FL. And I'd prefer to start making some friends that already think like me.

So, Greenville, i'm not trying to be close-minded. I'm open to having Christian friends, since I already have some and they are some of my greatest friends ever. However, I want to explore the option of having people who have been through the same kind of struggle as me. I have friends from all kind of religious backgrounds, ethnic and racial groups, and who live around the world. So, please don't accuse me of being close-minded.
If a google search doesn't turn up any formal organizations, try Meetup.com but don't just look for "atheist" groups - also try "agnostics" "humanists" "freethinkers" "skeptics" (Skeptics can include religious people but you'll still find lots of atheists in those groups as well). Most groups only meet once a month, which is not quite often enough to really bond well so what you do is this - go to multiple groups (or start new ones) such that you've got someplace to go every weekend at least. Chances are, there will be at least 2 or 3 other people doing the same thing and those are the people you would most likely become good friends with. You can also be sure to tell each group about the other groups and encourage cross-participation. If you want to go to a mixed group once in a while, you can try going to a UU (Unitarian Universalist) Church. Depending on the church there are sometimes atheists there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area