Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:44 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times

Advertisements

I moved here from MI in Dec. I love it! The people are friendly, and the area is beautiful. My daughter and her husband have visited from TN where they are living and my brother and his wife from MI were here recently. They all thought the city and the area were very pretty.

As far as Spartanburg, I've only been through twice, and I sure wouldn't say it's bad enough to be called an armpit. Flint, MI, there's an armpit for you! <G>

Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I moved here from MI in Dec. I love it! The people are friendly, and the area is beautiful. My daughter and her husband have visited from TN where they are living and my brother and his wife from MI were here recently. They all thought the city and the area were very pretty...
Thank you Rapunzll, this is all that needs to be said. If someone from Tennessee finds the Greenville area "pretty," then we indeed live in a special place because TN is loaded with natural beauty.

Moderator cut: comment I also receive constant feedback from people who are visiting or have recently visited the Greenville area and thanked me for sharing information about the place, including several photos which they say have been very helpful. This is exactly why I chose to become a member of City-Data.com and still continue to post sincerely helpful information whenever possible.

I do not have an endless amount of time to sit and argue over ridiculous misconceptions by a few arrogant individuals, but I will not hesitate to defend my reasons for posting what many people consider valuable information. I have never claimed that Greenville and the Upstate are "perfect," in fact I have clearly stated over and over that this is not the case. If what I post is intriguing enough to help someone become more interested in the area, then that is great. If they decide to visit the city to learn whether it may be a place to consider living, then that is even better because they need to see Greenville for themselves and choose whether or not it fits their criteria well enough. None of us can make that decision for them.

I have encouraged everyone to take time to read the in-depth information written in the reports regarding life in Greenville today and the plans for change that are well underway. Please do not say we are selective in our information. There is more than enough available to everyone who pays attention. Read post #5 in this thread for more.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-08-2009 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: keep it about the topic not about other poster

Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 PM

16 posts, read 42,433 times
jviello could you kindly step away from my thread please. you've given me your two cents about the area and then some. i would like to hear from people who have lived in the area for a while and can give me information about life in the greenville area, this isn't about a vacation for me.

so folks please keep them coming. you've been very helpful so far.
anything else on greer or simpsonville?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:10 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon13 View Post
jviello could you kindly step away from my thread please. you've given me your two cents about the area and then some. i would like to hear from people who have lived in the area for a while and can give me information about life in the greenville area, this isn't about a vacation for me.

Please keep in mind OTHER people will be searching and reading these posts too so it's not just about your particular situation.

It wasn't a vacation for me...I was considering relocating my family there until I took a visit. I didn't have a lot of resources or time to waste, I should have just took the time and cash and flushed it down the toilet.

Greer: Very small downtown that has some life coming back but many empty storefronts and a bit of a ghost town feel to me. It's also a bit out of the way for access to highways and such...yes you can head down 14, but it's not IMO a very efficient use of time. Wade Hampton Blvd through the area is a 6 lane monster about 300 feet wide lined with tacky billboards and a mish mash of businesses.

Moderator cut: comment

Last edited by Keeper; 05-08-2009 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-08-2009, 06:43 AM

134 posts, read 262,418 times
Quote:
Positives about greer:
Riverside high school
family atmosphere - cause of all the sub divisions
low crime - cause of all the sub-divisions I feel like it's safer (Maybe I'm wrong, just my opinion)
Century park - great kids park
Northern greer has beautiful mountain views
traffic is non existent, atleast compared to what I'm used to in FL.

Negatives about greer:
The downtown is small
Downtown seems like a ghost town.
Wade hampton is full of billboards
Wade hampton looks a bit run down.
Too many sub divisions
No liquor sales on Sunday.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:54 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Folks.. please remember our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:08 PM

156 posts, read 332,273 times
Quote:

Personally, I find your comment offensive. You want to come to our city and move here and yet you have an attitude with a person who already lives here and has made a comment whether it be good or bad that is rude of you.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:29 PM

I don't find nixon13's post offensive in any way. He or she is more interested in hearing from people who have actually lived in this area for a while and know considerably more about life here than someone who briefly visited and then left before getting to know anyone or anything already here. That makes perfect sense to me, considering he or she is only trying to find real information about the area as a potential future resident. It seems obvious that people who have lived here will have more information about life in the Greenville area.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:43 PM

156 posts, read 332,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Folks.. please remember our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Per above quote, opinions are opinions, no one person is right or wrong nor should they be "pounced" upon for their opinions.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:49 PM

I wasn't "pouncing" on your opinion, just sharing why I believe nixon13's comment makes perfect sense. Personally, I don't think it helps another person to criticize them for making such a simple request, but that is just the way I see it. Nixon13 seems truly interested in gaining information from people who live here and there is nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area