Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:32 PM

134 posts, read 262,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
OMG - another site that focuses on Reedy Falls and a 3 block region as if it represents the entire West End.

I would love...Just LOVE if someone would post a picture of, oh maybe...

N Markley St just a couple blocks over from the new "West End Field".

Wait...OMG, Google has this thing called "street view". Have a look for yourself! YIKES!

greenville sc - Google Maps

No? You want a little closer to Reedy Fall and the field? Okay how about *1* block over in the "West End" on Oneal and Rhett street.

Wait, how about literally ACROSS THE STREET 200 feet "Southwest" from all the super bling pics that are posted about Reedy Falls Park on River Street/South Main intersection.

Holy crap...you don't see that in photos, do you?

There you go folks, that's what you can expect outside of the pom pom pictures. I must have missed that on the "West End" website. My bad.

Have a ball...
LOL

There is some truth to what jviello is saying though. Everytime I see a picture of greenville it's either the Reedy River falls park or the downtown greenville shot with paris mountain behind it. If a person didn't know any better they would get the impression that downtown greenville is nestled in the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
OMG - another site that focuses on Reedy Falls and a 3 block region as if it represents the entire West End.

I would love...Just LOVE if someone would post a picture of, oh maybe...

N Markley St just a couple blocks over from the new "West End Field".

Wait...OMG, Google has this thing called "street view". Have a look for yourself! YIKES!
You really don't get it. The site we are referring to is a promotional web site. It is designed to appeal to people and encourage them to check out the area. In order to do that, it is only natural to have a clean web site with nice pictures. As was stated SEVERAL PAGES AGO, every city does this! Go to a site promoting any city - New York, Denver, Detroit, Hartford - and you will see good pictures and an appealing web site. As was also stated previously, an overwhelming majority of people realize that the ENTIRE area does not look that way.

Nobody is trying to deceive anyone else. The pictures of the West End are real pictures of a real area. The idea is to get people to visit and check it out for themselves (that is the same idea behind the great photos posted on this forum). If the city were so horrible and dirty, why on earth would Greenville be promoting tourism so much? Why would virtually everyone say, "Our city is great, come see for yourself!" This is not akin to putting lipstick on a pig. This is reality. And the reality of the situation is that most people love Greenville even more after they visit in person. They do not feel that the pictures did the area justice. You disagree, we get it. Now can we PLEASE move on?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:54 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
This is a really nice site! Thanks for sharing, Skyliner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Thanks for the link Skyliner. Excellent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Grissinger View Post
As always--thanks for sharing!
Thank you for caring and seeing the good in a great place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
so the website was supposed to show empty street corners near to great shops and entertainment on the west end??? why do people try to shoot down such a great city for no reason. Folks, visit the city and get a feel for yourself, don't rely on websites, photos, or opinions,(even mine) visit for a week, I did, and i've been here for two years so far, with no plans of leaving anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
...that area was not safe to walk down just a few years ago. Now it is. And in the future, it will only improve.
Thank you both for offering this valuable insider information. You have experienced living in this part of downtown and obviously understand that it is definitely a district on the rise. Just a few years ago there was very little reason to travel in that direction, much less walk there as so many people do today in large numbers.

I often park in the Bowater garage or the Richardson Street garage and walk down to the "mini Fenway" ballpark for a home game, stopping along the way to peruse merchandise in quaint shops, unique art in various galleries, and to watch people enjoying life at RiverPlace and in Falls Park on the Reedy. Soon I will check out some of the screenings at West End Movies. Friends tell me it is a nice way to spend part of an evening in the West End. During May and September there are free Moonlight Movies (http://www.greenvillesc.gov/visitors/MoonlightMovies.asp - broken link) to enjoy under the stars and along the river, another very popular event to take in with family and friends. Next week we will once again be enjoying the comical Shakespeare in the Park series, performed by the Upstate Shakespeare Festival at the Carolina First Amphitheatre in Falls Park. Ongoing throughout the warmer months (already here), we spend evenings at the Peace Center amphitheatre listening to free live concerts (more (http://www.greenvillesc.gov/visitors/rrncs.asp - broken link)). These are just some of the many great things to see and do in the West End, along with lots of live music at several fine restaurants in the district.

If you have lived here then you are likely aware of at least a few of the many reasons Greenville's charming West End Historic District is blossoming into a vibrant destination of fun for people of all ages. If you haven't lived here then believe us younger and older residents when we say that it is definitely worth spending time for a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area