Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 AM

183 posts, read 500,541 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

We found a house and had the inspection. There was evidence of a termite tube in the garage, but no live termites and no other evidence. The house will have to be treated anyway. So here's a question...

I noticed 6-8 fire ant mounds on the property as well. I am acting on the assumption that I can rid the property of these ants with appropriate and regularly scheduled treatment. Am I right? I have two small pugs that I won't expose to the possibility of getting stung. So I am thinking that when I have the place treated for termites, I can have the same company treat for fire ants, so by the time I get there in a month and a half, the mounds should be killed off. Is this likely or wishful thinking?

Also, I am going to want to do some extensive landscaping with trees and shrubs, so are there any recommendations on local companies?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:42 AM

40 posts, read 110,250 times
Fire ants have been in that area long enough for any pest control company to know how to kill them. The problem is, they will keep coming back until the actual queen gets killed and if your neighbors are not vigilant in controlling them as well, the females will leave the nest in spring and you will have them all over again. I grew up in the upstate and when I lived in Simpsonville, it was a constant fight to keep those ants at bay. I would make sure to let the pest control company know the ant control is very important to you and get them to come on a regular basis as new mounds appear. Also, if you want to do it yourself, Amdro is the way to go. It is a granular product that you sprinkle around the mounds and the workers carry it back inside. I wish you luck. We all hate those ants!

Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,515,788 times
Treat your property annually to keep fire ants away. Most products are good for an entire year but you will occasionally see a mound appear in areas that were not treated.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the responses. At least I think I can solve this problem to a large degree. When I had the inspection, I didn't notice any obvious fire ant mounds on the adjacent properties (although I didn't do a close inspection, of course), and both their lawns were in better shape than mine. So they seem to be keeping their end up, or at least it looks that way.

Actually I'm a little irritated that the property I'm buying has not been treated properly. This is a somewhat upscale community and the homes aren't cheap. My home-to-be is only 3 years old. But I guess the current owner didn't take much interest in maintenance. Maybe it's a good thing I'm getting it now, at least the neighbors ought to be happier from that aspect.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:50 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,515,788 times
You're neighbors will love you, leavingNJ!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Well, I hope they at least like me.

I do believe in taking pride in your home and making it look as attractive as possible. The other neighbors seem to think this way as well, from appearances. It's not that the place is a wreck by any means, but the lawn is nowhere near it's potential. It's patchy in places, underwatered in some parts and definitely overwatered in other parts. When we tested the sprinkler system it was obvious from the timing programs that the owner doesn't really have a clue how to water properly. The landscaping looks as though it's the standard package that builders put in. It's evident that not a single thing has been changed, added, or barely touched. It just needs someone who is willing to put the time and money into making it look great. I guess that's my job now.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 AM

40 posts, read 110,250 times
Trust me, they will LOVE you if you show pride in maintaining the property. People in that area are generally very nice. Most have grown up in the upstate (including myself) and possess that lovely Southern charm. Do not be surprised if your neighbors welcome you to the neighborhood with baked goods and chat with you while you do your lawn chores and ant control. haha

Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 AM

10 posts, read 16,519 times
best thing for fire ants is to fight fire with fire. put some gas on the mound and lite it. will kill them all. will burn for a few min works good

Old 10-23-2009, 03:08 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,136,925 times
All you can do with fire ants is "try" to control them. They will continue to come back year after year. I have been in Simpleville all of my life and remember when we did not have fire ants here.
Setting the nest on fire will not kill them.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,391 times
Watch out for cow ants!

(inside joke on the forum - there is no such thing in Greenville)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area