Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 06:15 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I said that GSA is comparable to Milwaukee in terms of population. 1.2 million and 1.5 million are comparable in my book. I did not make a claim about pro sports teams, cultural events, festivals, or vacationers. I also did not include air travelers from nearby metros, because they are negligible.

Thanks for providing all of that unnecessary information which had nothing to do with my argument, though.
Whatever. What I was getting at was that a lot more people are likely to travel to Milwaukee, than to GSP. Argue that one, genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:09 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
Whatever. What I was getting at was that a lot more people are likely to travel to Milwaukee, than to GSP. Argue that one, genius.
Very true!
The GSP area is nice for things like raising a family, pretty good amenities (shopping, restaurants etc.) for an area of it's size. But when the topic changes to Southwest making a choice between GSP and other cities that obviously have more going for them that is where the discussion ends for rational people.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 11,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
WRONG. CHS couldn't even support Airtran. Southwest isn't going there.
Sorry G-man, but Airtran essentially pulled out of Charleston due to Southwests interest in Charleston, they knew they couldn't compete. All Southwest needs to do after the first of the year is officially announce it, which they will, and put thier signage up at the old Airtran ticket counters.
FYI - If Southwest wasn't coming to Chucktown, then why are Southwest execs currently expensing dinners all around town if they weren't coming...

Old 12-18-2009, 06:04 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSGuy View Post
FYI - If Southwest wasn't coming to Chucktown, then why are Southwest execs currently expensing dinners all around town if they weren't coming...
....because they discovered that they love low-country cuisine while there nosing around???

Old 12-18-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Very true!
The GSP area is nice for things like raising a family, pretty good amenities (shopping, restaurants etc.) for an area of it's size. But when the topic changes to Southwest making a choice between GSP and other cities that obviously have more going for them that is where the discussion ends for rational people.
Are you people even aware that Southwest serves cities with arguably less going for them than Greenville?..... Little Rock, Birmingham, JACKSON, MS???

Old 12-18-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Are you people even aware that Southwest serves cities with arguably less going for them than Greenville?..... Little Rock, Birmingham, JACKSON, MS???
It is time to face the reality that Southwest did not add GSP, this debate has dragged on way longer then it should have. I do not work for Southwest and neither do you. I have NEVER visited Little Rock, Birmingham or Jackson, MS so can not make a comment regarding whether or not those cities have more or less going for them than Greenville....that is your perception of those cities. But obviously there was something that Southwest saw in those cities that caused them to add them!

What I do know for a FACT is that the new cities that Southwest has added this year (New York City, Boston, Milwaukee and St. Paul) are all leaps and bounds ahead of Greenville and have WAY more going for them....so it is no surprise that Southwest made the smart decision to add them. Any airline that is not in the NYC market makes me wonder about their sanity. Glad Southwest has woken up. Greenville on the other hand is a nice family oriented town and that is where the story ends for people who live in reality!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I have NEVER visited Little Rock, Birmingham or Jackson, MS so can not make a comment regarding whether or not those cities have more or less going for them than Greenville
I HAVE been to those cities, and actually lived in two of them.... Multiple times... 'Nuff said.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I HAVE been to those cities, and actually lived in two of them.... Multiple times... 'Nuff said.
You are only ONE PERSON....I am sure there are others who would disagree on your perception of those cities. If Greenville wants to come out and play in the big leagues next time Southwest is looking to add cities then there needs to be millions of dollars spent (possibly tax increases that I am more then happy to pay) making it the kind of place that Southwest will want to add.

The other cities (NYC, Boston, Milwaukee and St. Paul) all had to spend money to make those cities the type of place that can attract Southwest.......Greenville did not!

You all want to keep the cost of living low in SC, don't want to pay higher taxes to get anything done but then want the same big name recognition (upscale status) and benefits as cities that pay higher taxes, have a higher cost of living and have WAY more going for them then Greenville does.....sorry life just does not work that way! NUFF SAID

Old 12-19-2009, 10:25 AM

13 posts, read 17,404 times
Southwest Airlines GSP

As a employee of the airline in question I can tell you the airline is always looking to expand to new markets. Financial incentives have been a major factor in determining what cities have been added in the past few years. Panama City, Fla basically has guaranteed Southwest operations in that city to be profitable for the first 3 years of operation. Those incentives were a huge factor for that location getting service. Panama City, Fla starts service 05/10/10.

I will add the fact that the talk beeing circulated amoung many employees of Southwest is that the airline will be adding 3 new cities to its operation in the year 2010. What those locations will be is anybody's guess. Southwest is very good at not releasing any info about where or if it will expand. Not sure whats been offered by GSP to Southwest to attract service. However its one of the locations that has been often mentioned amoungst employees as a new city for service. I have worked at three different Southwest Airline destinations and have approximately 10 years with the company (New Orleans, La MSY - Sacramento, Ca SMF - Raleigh-Durham, Nc RDU) Hopefully your political and business leaders have attracted Southwest Airlines attention. I know many employees consider GSP as a potential new city. Good Luck with getting service.

smfrivercat

Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 AM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,860 times
Thanks for the information. It would be nice if Southwest did open at GSP. I think they would be welcomed with open arms and get quite a bit of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area