Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:33 AM

48 posts, read 115,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Oh, okay, 'cause there's a poster called GSPspotter and I though, maybe that was you. There's a cool commercial aviation thread. What's "FI?"
FlightInfo.com. It used to be a free site but they had to change that a few years ago. I think it is about 10 bucks or so. I would not reccommend paying it for that site. I was "grandfathered" in so, I did not have to pay. It is a fairly large site, though. There are forums for the Majors, Regionals, Cargo, LCC/Nationals, Part 135, Aerobatics, Flight Instruction, Interviews, FAR's among many others. Generally, the only forum I look at is the Majors.

Airliners.net has a lot of great photography and can be a nice way to kill a rainy afternoon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Anyone know what airline has the most flights and what the top destination is out of Greenville and if it is the same for Columbia ? It would be interesting to see if it is the same for both cities..

Old 07-28-2009, 06:35 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Anyone know what airline has the most flights and what the top destination is out of Greenville and if it is the same for Columbia ? It would be interesting to see if it is the same for both cities..
I would imagine it's US Airways. The top destination would be Charlotte due to it's hub.

Of course if it's Delta, then Atlanta would be tops.

As for non-hub cities...I'm not sure.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I would imagine it's US Airways. The top destination would be Charlotte due to it's hub.

Of course if it's Delta, then Atlanta would be tops.

As for non-hub cities...I'm not sure.

I was looking for more at the final destination cities.. I believe for Columbia it may be either LGA or DCA but certainly US Airways is probably the most popular airline. I was curious to see if the majority of people who fly out of Greenville go to the same places or other destinations as people flying out of Columbia.. If an airline like southwest came into the picture, for example, would that cause more DC bound passengers from Greenville to fly to BWI instead and take the train into DC assuming the airfares are cheap enough or conversely would US Airways lower their fares in order to retain DC bound passengers?

Ironically, Southwest now has a $49 each way fare from BWI to LGA and is competing (though maybe indirectly) with Amtrak which offers the same fare for a roundtrip train tix from Baltimore Penn Station to NY Penn Station. I believe Amtrak was offering the fare first and SW later added it. Of course Amtrak is very competative on this route because they go from downtown to downtown.. and you dont have the hassles of airport security and taxis.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:33 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,858,461 times
In both number of flights and passengers carried, I believe Delta leads the pack at GSP. Nonstops to Atlanta, LGA, Detroit, Cincinnati and Memphis. USAirways is second and believe it or not, in total passengers, I believe I heard Allegiant has moved up to third (total passengers), ahead of Continental, American and United.

Not sure of the most popular final destination cities, but I believe both LGA and DCA are in the top 5. Probably pretty easy to find in GSP's statistical information.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:18 AM

513 posts, read 576,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
In both number of flights and passengers carried, I believe Delta leads the pack at GSP. Nonstops to Atlanta, LGA, Detroit, Cincinnati and Memphis. USAirways is second and believe it or not, in total passengers, I believe I heard Allegiant has moved up to third (total passengers), ahead of Continental, American and United.

Not sure of the most popular final destination cities, but I believe both LGA and DCA are in the top 5. Probably pretty easy to find in GSP's statistical information.
I do not know where to find statistical info for this sort of thing, and the GSP website provides no information that I have been able to find. It does not even provide passenger stats. I do remember reading (when the Vegas flight was added with Allegiant) that places like Vegas, LAX, and Denver were very popular destinations from GSP (like top 10 I think) which was one reason the Vegas flight was being added.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 AM

Default CAE?? Woe are We??!

Allegiant has cut service to CAE.. and this follows Spirits departure as well. Granted, CAE is a tough market for these so called 'discount airlines' because of it is dominated by USAir and Delta. But, this certainly does not bode well for its ability to attract other discount airlines ala Southwest? Allegiant is apparently consolidating its SC operations at GSP?

Allegiant departing Columbia again - Business - The State

Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 AM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Interesting. Out of curiosity, what is the state's busiest airport or how can I find that info?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:28 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,858,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Interesting. Out of curiosity, what is the state's busiest airport or how can I find that info?
In order of passenger numbers it is:

1. Charleston
2. Myrtle Beach
3. GSP
4. Columbia

Depending on the year, Myrtle Beach and GSP go back and forth between 2 and 3. Columbia has always been a solid fourth place. You can find the passenger numbers in the statistics sections of most airports websites (by year, by month, etc).

Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 AM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
In order of passenger numbers it is:

1. Charleston
2. Myrtle Beach
3. GSP
4. Columbia

Depending on the year, Myrtle Beach and GSP go back and forth between 2 and 3. Columbia has always been a solid fourth place. You can find the passenger numbers in the statistics sections of most airports websites (by year, by month, etc).
I kind of figured Charleston would be first and I didn't realize GSP was before Columbia. Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area